Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EFFING SAWEET.

Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

what Software
      is that

is it RoadRunner

what skin

i like it

Comment

Originally posted by altinono View Post
        what Software
        is that

is it RoadRunner

what skin

i like it
        Hey Altinono,
        It's Road Runner with Simplistique skin. I really enjoy the skin as well. Easy to navigate and easy to read.

Comment

Man, this is nice.
          2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
          89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
          Y2K Accord Dell GX150
          RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
          EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

great job, that looks factory... no doubt

Comment

props man no doubt, if i were to own a TL i would definately do it this route.
              screen name here use to be MegaloRESE15"

Comment

Video Tie-In Inquiry

Hi met152--

I mirror the appreciative sentiment abounding here and on AcuraZine-- Superb work; that which makes hope for my project far stronger.

I've a 2007 Accord with Navi, the hardware onboard being essentially identical to your TL. Several months ago during my preliminary system investigation I noted that my car's Navi system indeed has input for a backup camera, but of course it's not connected since Accord hasn't this feature. I am hopeful, however, that the hardware will respond to input if it's there.

To that, in reading through your posts I've found it a bit ambiguous regarding video configuration-- Do I understand correctly that you've indeed tapped into your backup camera input to route CPU video to the OEM LCD through the Navigation DVD module?

A problem I conceived about such a solution is how navigation might be effected by the setup. Given that the system is aware of vehicle direction independent of satellite connection (such as while driving in a tunnel or perhaps a parking structure), have you noted any problems with Navi? Seems to me the system would think you're in reverse all the time, which conflicts the satellite signal indicating you're moving forward. And even if satellite signals override onboard vehicle direction sensors, if you entered a tunnel you'd be progressing backwards once reverting to onboard system awareness.

Even the Accord, which, as noted, has no backup camera for a reverse signal to prompt video switching, still has a backup signal wired to the navi unit (it has no camera input connected, but there IS a backup signal connected). This suggests that it serves some reasonable navigation purpose independent of backup camera function; probably that outlined above.

Thanks for your help in clarifying this matter, if you’re monitoring this thread anymore. I’m hopeful that the navigation unit switches to the camera input based on video signals rather than from a backup prompt. Such as, the backup 12v energizes a separate relay that then sends camera signals to the nav unit, which is thus prompted to switch LCD signals to “Camera”.

Anyway, this is an intriguing challenge that I’ve been slowly planning for some time; even before I bought my Accord. Thanks for showing it can be done! I'm amassing parts now and will likely begin my project in earnest in a month or two, time, weather, and finances permitting.

And by the way-- In reference to platform discussion on the other board, I'm going with a Mac Mini Intel via custom dock with dual OS installation through Parallels Desktop, likely mounted into our front panel covered CD storage bin. A Mini will fit in there with some trim cutting while still allowing the flip-up door to close, thus preserving full stock appearance (which is what I shoot for in all my vehicle modifications).

Thanks again, and cheers!

Comment

Wow, that's quite a long post.. let's see, where do I start?

I am not using the backup camera port on my Acura (and I'm not sure it has one), so I can't help you out at all there. I haven't researched it, and know nothing about it. Sorry.

What I have done for the video signal, is tapped into the signal that is sent from the navigation unit in the trunk to the screen up front. Only one set of signals can be active at any time, either the stock navigation video, or my computer video. There are 4 wires that carry the video signal. They are, Red, Green, Blue and Composite sync. I imagine it's the same in the Accord, but you'll have to somehow verify that.

So using my setup, your theory of the navigation unit thinking you're in reverse, does not apply. The unit doesn't know/care if the video signal that is being sent out actually makes it to the screen. There is no checking of this type done by the LCD or navigation unit.

Sorry for not knowing anything further on how the system might react to a video signal input at the backup camera port.

I'd love to see some pictures of the mac mini in your Accord. Be sure to takes lots of install photos. That's one thing I regret not doing. I got into the install and it was too late when I realized I wasn't really taking many pictures.

Good luck w/ the install and let us all know how it goes. Keeping a mostly stock appearance with this stuff is the way to go in my opinion. Sometimes challenging, but always rewarding.

Have fun.

Originally posted by GeoLogic View Post
                  Hi met152--

I mirror the appreciative sentiment abounding here and on AcuraZine-- Superb work; that which makes hope for my project far stronger.

I've a 2007 Accord with Navi, the hardware onboard being essentially identical to your TL. Several months ago during my preliminary system investigation I noted that my car's Navi system indeed has input for a backup camera, but of course it's not connected since Accord hasn't this feature. I am hopeful, however, that the hardware will respond to input if it's there.

To that, in reading through your posts I've found it a bit ambiguous regarding video configuration-- Do I understand correctly that you've indeed tapped into your backup camera input to route CPU video to the OEM LCD through the Navigation DVD module?

A problem I conceived about such a solution is how navigation might be effected by the setup. Given that the system is aware of vehicle direction independent of satellite connection (such as while driving in a tunnel or perhaps a parking structure), have you noted any problems with Navi? Seems to me the system would think you're in reverse all the time, which conflicts the satellite signal indicating you're moving forward. And even if satellite signals override onboard vehicle direction sensors, if you entered a tunnel you'd be progressing backwards once reverting to onboard system awareness.

Even the Accord, which, as noted, has no backup camera for a reverse signal to prompt video switching, still has a backup signal wired to the navi unit (it has no camera input connected, but there IS a backup signal connected). This suggests that it serves some reasonable navigation purpose independent of backup camera function; probably that outlined above.

Thanks for your help in clarifying this matter, if you’re monitoring this thread anymore. I’m hopeful that the navigation unit switches to the camera input based on video signals rather than from a backup prompt. Such as, the backup 12v energizes a separate relay that then sends camera signals to the nav unit, which is thus prompted to switch LCD signals to “Camera”.

Anyway, this is an intriguing challenge that I’ve been slowly planning for some time; even before I bought my Accord. Thanks for showing it can be done! I'm amassing parts now and will likely begin my project in earnest in a month or two, time, weather, and finances permitting.

And by the way-- In reference to platform discussion on the other board, I'm going with a Mac Mini Intel via custom dock with dual OS installation through Parallels Desktop, likely mounted into our front panel covered CD storage bin. A Mini will fit in there with some trim cutting while still allowing the flip-up door to close, thus preserving full stock appearance (which is what I shoot for in all my vehicle modifications).

Thanks again, and cheers!

Comment

What about the touch controller? When on OEM mode and touching stuff does the touch apply to the carputer as well?
                    screen name here use to be MegaloRESE15"

Comment

Originally posted by MegaloRESE15" View Post
                      What about the touch controller? When on OEM mode and touching stuff does the touch apply to the carputer as well?
                      The touchscreen signals are being sent to EITHER the computer or the acura navigation system. Never both. This is accomplished using a 4 pole double throw (4PDT) relay. 4 pole because there are 4 signals associated with the touchscreen coordinates.

Do a wiki search on relays if you're not familiar with them.

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks very much for your response, met152-- And sorry about my longwindedness! Indeed I tend to be rather thorough; perhaps it's genetic or something!

In any event, I understand now how you've routed video-- Somehow in my skimming I had the impression you had given up backup camera function in order to switch video (which I know the TL has, at least as an option on the 2007's; probably also the '06's). This backup camera input was something I was thinking about earlier in my brain storming phase regarding finding a clean way to switch inputs, but your solution quite sounds better.

I'll do my best to take as many useful pics of my install as possible-- I'd of course like to start sooner than later, but have a feeling I won't be able to really dig in on the project for another couple of months. Will need to study which wire sends which type of signal, plan unit placements, fabricate a Mac Mini dock for car and home (so I can easily move the computer back and forth), work out power distribution (already bought a P1900), amass the full compliment of parts, etc. A lot of work (but it'll be an enjoyable challenge, no doubt!). And thanks to the evidence of your work, confidence in this project is high!

And MegaloRESE15", touch screen coordinates are passed through a 4PDT 12v relay which routes the signals to either the OEM unit or the USB converter-- Not both. So when one unit is being used, the other isn't getting any input whatsoever. A very slick solution!

Time for me to shut up! Thanks again for sharing this effort with us, met152-- I've always flat out loved gadgets, and an auto computer is the ultimate swiss army knife of flexible application. Superb work!

Comment

I agree, very nice job. Keeping the stock unit completely functional while adding your pc makes the most amount of sense when you've already paid for the factory equipment.

I also think that using some of the OEM buttons would be an added bonus. I don't know anything about the IE-Bus, but it would be worth testing if any of the buttons work by merly shorting two conductors. From the pictures it looks like the buttons connect directly to the board and may not use the IE-bus, especially if they're simple on/off or momentary buttons?

I was going to ask about the audio as well, but found it in a prevous post. Just wanted to get a better idea, does the TL then have an additional port for a remote CD changer already built in? Is that what this device takes advantage of? How does the aduio switch between in-dash chagner, xm, and you pc?

Again, great work. My cousin had a TL, I kept egging him to install a pc, but it was a lease and he's sold it since.
                          '02 Molten Silver SE-R Spec V
                          K&N CAI Car-puter

Comment

Echoing everyone above...nice work. I'm sure it will be replicated many times over...

An amateur built the Ark. The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

USB Driver Inquiry

Am now amassing parts and planning system configuration.

To that, I wanted to ask about drivers for the USB board. How did you discover the location of drivers on the manufacturer/seller's web site? I found no mention of it whatsoever, making them impossible to find autonomously.

While I was able to download the Windows drivers from the location you outlined in earlier posts related to your project, what I'm in need of are Macintosh drivers. I could use Apple's Bootcamp to boot my Mac Mini directly as a PC and use the available Windows drivers, but I've interest in a dual OS system, hence the need for Mac drivers additionally.

Appreciate your input on the matter; particularly how you found the Windows drivers in the first place...

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by GeoLogic View Post
                                Am now amassing parts and planning system configuration.

To that, I wanted to ask about drivers for the USB board. How did you discover the location of drivers on the manufacturer/seller's web site? I found no mention of it whatsoever, making them impossible to find autonomously.

While I was able to download the Windows drivers from the location you outlined in earlier posts related to your project, what I'm in need of are Macintosh drivers. I could use Apple's Bootcamp to boot my Mac Mini directly as a PC and use the available Windows drivers, but I've interest in a dual OS system, hence the need for Mac drivers additionally.

Appreciate your input on the matter; particularly how you found the Windows drivers in the first place...

Cheers!
                                www.tvielectronics.com
                                "Touchscreen controllers" --> "4 wire Touchscreen usb controller" --> "Supporting Documentation"
                                There you'll find drivers for DOS, mac, linux, WinCE, 9x/me/2000/xp, winnt....

Comment

Working...
                                X