2000 Turbocharged 5.0 Explorer ... something different

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Turbocharged 5.0 Explorer ... something different

As much as I like to show off, I cant believe I never made a thread about my truck. Here are the pictures from my original install. This will become a worklog soon with me building my new carputer.

This system I built in 2004. IT consisted of the Tview 7" widescreen in my console and a 6.5 manual flip out in the dash. Also, I have molded my Terk Commander XM radio onto the dash. As of now, I have a 8" LCD where the radio is in this picture, but I have it torn apart at the moment, so no pictures.

The computer for this was an HP E-PC at 933Mhz running Windows XP and Centrafuse. IT was powered by a universal 12v laptop charger. IT also had its own gel cell battery seperated from the main battery by a diode so the computer would survive crank-up. The diode allows the computer to pull current from the main battery, but kept the rear battery's voltage from dropping when I cranked the truck.

If I had done a little more research, I would have found out molding the XM into the dash was pointless- I didnt know there were adapters to control it through the computer. Oh well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	carputer 045.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	2300295

Name:	carputer 046.jpg
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	2300296

Name:	carputer 040.jpg
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	2300297

Name:	justin 019.jpg
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	2300298

Name:	justin 022.jpg
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	2300299
    Turbocharged 2000 Explorer 5.0 AWD, SCT tuning software, Carputer w/ Athlon XP2600 and 8" Lilliput custom molded into dash, Terk Commander XM, Rand McNally and MapPoint, bluetooth, and 802.11x

Here are the pictures from building the XM housing...

instead of using paint for the surround, I used spray on bedliner. I cant believe I dont see more of this used on here. It makes a perfect factory textured plastic look, and it hides small imperfections. You can use bondo without having to use another filler to fill in small bubbles.

Name:	carputer 007.jpg
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	2261685

Name:	carputer 015.jpg
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	2261686

Name:	carputer 020.jpg
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	2261687

Name:	carputer 023.jpg
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	2261688

Name:	carputer 024.jpg
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	2261689
    Turbocharged 2000 Explorer 5.0 AWD, SCT tuning software, Carputer w/ Athlon XP2600 and 8" Lilliput custom molded into dash, Terk Commander XM, Rand McNally and MapPoint, bluetooth, and 802.11x

Comment

and a few more of the XM...

Name:	carputer 032.jpg
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	2261690

Name:	carputer 037.jpg
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	2261691

Name:	carputer 030.jpg
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	2261692

Name:	carputer 039.jpg
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	2261693

Comment

For my new dash, I am moving my 8" Lilliput up to where the AC vents are now. I got some vents off of a 3000gt that will hopefully fit in the lower portion of the radio hole, and the screen will go above them. The HU will have a remote faceplate molded into the center console along with my boost gauge and AEM wideband.

THe first picture is of the 3000gt dash vents and the second is of the plan for the dash piece.
        Attached Files

Comment

Did you turbocharge your Explorer yourself? Got any pics of the engine?
          www.mobile-effects.com

Free file hosting, picture gallery hosting for installs, PM me.

Internet's first Front End Skin browser, featured installs, downloads, links, informative articles - all free to registered users.

Comment

nice work. I wouldn't mind a few details and pics on the turbo conversion.
            Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Comment

Originally posted by meddler View Post
              nice work. I wouldn't mind a few details and pics on the turbo conversion.
              Turbonetics T61 .84 P-trim, Tial WG, GReddy RS BOV, 80mm Lightning MAF, 39lb. Cobra injectors, AEM UEGO wideband, custom methanol injection w/ Aeromotive 11109, A/W intercooler w/ Lightning heat exchanger/pump/tank, 3" straight exhaust, 300zx TT PCV setup

Click here to see Video

Click here to see Video

Click here to see Video

Comment

Originally posted by SnyperBob View Post
                Did you turbocharge your Explorer yourself? Got any pics of the engine?
                I did every aspect of the install myself. It is a remote turbo...

Comment

Spray-on headliner..that's interesting! Where do you get it?
                  OLD SYSTEM (DEAD)
                  Intel D945GCLF2 Dual Core ATOM
                  Lilliput 7" 629GL 2008 LED Backlight
                  BU-353 USB GPS Receiver / iGuidance / IGO8
                  M2-ATX Power Supply
                  RideRunner Front End / Various Skins
                  Windows XP SP3

Comment

wow, very nice, i like the engine add ons too

Yev
                    R. T. F. M

Comment

Originally posted by treetop777 View Post
                      Spray-on headliner..that's interesting! Where do you get it?

bedliner, not headliner You get it from Advance Auto; it is Duplicolor brand. Just use light coats and you can put as little or as much texture as you want.

Comment

That looks great.
                        Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Comment

yea nice install, i dig the remote setups to, if you gotta V-8 you can deal with a little turbo lag off the line and no need spendin all the money on exhust maze under the hood

Comment

I found a few more pictures. I also figured out how to make the pictures show up automatically in the first posts- no more clicking and opening them in a new window....

Name:	jet ski 069.jpg
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	2261823

Name:	jet ski 071.jpg
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	2261824

Name:	jet ski 079.jpg
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	2261825
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by justin146 View Post
                              I found a few more pictures. I also figured out how to make the pictures show up automatically in the first posts- no more clicking and opening them in a new window....

[attach]39527[/attach]

[attach]39528[/attach]

[attach]39529[/attach]
                              hows the glare on that screen under the dash? thats the exact spot i'm thinking of putting one in my grand cherokee.
                              Are you 2x? Because I want to integrate you from 10 to 13!

Comment

Working...
                              X