1996 Jeep Cherokee Customized Install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 Jeep Cherokee Customized Install

I haven't seen this done on my model of Jeep. Unique? I don't know. Confusing? Yes! Tiresome? Yes! Hassle? Yes! Worth it? YES!!!

I have been kinda going at this slowly, getting all the materials for this build together. All the components and tools necessary to accomplish such a feat.

Parts:
    Case: Center Console (May change to somewhere else. I haven't gotten that far yet!)
    Mainboard: VIA EPIA M10000 Mini-ITX
    Ram: 1gb PC3200 (May change, to something else. I haven't gotten that far yet!)
    Power Supply: OPUS 120 watt DC-DC
    Wireless Interface: Possible Netgear USB Key or MSI PCI card
    Bluetooth: USB Key or MSI PCI card
    GPS: Don't know yet.
    Software: Windows XP Professional Edition
    Front-End: Don't know yet.
    Games: NES Emulator w/2 NES controllers ported to USB

How I plan on holding my screen face to my dash:
    SEM Brand: 68432 General Purpose Adhesive
    U-POL: High Viscosity Dolphin Glaze
    I spent a total of $15.00 on these two products. Lets see if it's money well spent!

Right on! someone else that is looking to flush mount the Screen in an XJ.

I know my around the dash pretty good, but i'm confused to the reason you cut the upper "bar" out? It's hard to tell from the pics which way your going with the install. I am very eager to see more though.

And the HVAC controls? any ideas what to do with them? i have looked into adding automatic climate controls from another vehicle but i may just have it controlled by the carputer. Any ideas there?

BTW i'm in Yakima so i'll love to actually see your install when you get it done.

Dingo
    Progress: Installed and working. Needs some cleanup and trim work done. now for complete integration.
    91 Jeep Cherokee 8" custom lift, 3/4 ton running gear 36" swampers, Snorkel, Onboard air, Onboard Shower. Now with in dash PC!

Comment

I am actually still working on it as we speak. I just got my new heater control switch in, and am changing the flow of the heater vents..

I cut that upper bar, kinda by mistake. I was a little too "CUT HAPPY". I will be building something to mount the heater controls in flush. I think that the WHOLE unit will be removable at the same time (heater controls as well). I'll keep you updated.

BTW: System has been running all summer.

Comment

Yeah some pics would be great. I just molded in my screen last week in my '00 Cherokee and would love to see some others.
        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...-computer.html

Comment

Originally posted by Tommi View Post
          humm, is it the ZJ edition?
          Edition? the ZJ is a completely different vehicle, briderx's install (and mine) are both the pre 97 body style XJ.

The ZJ is a GRAND Cherokee.
          The XJ is just a Cherokee.

Sorry if i sound upset about that, i'm not, but when i was working at the parts houses everyone would always get that wrong.

Originally posted by peeples View Post
          Yeah some pics would be great. I just molded in my screen last week in my '00 Cherokee and would love to see some others.
          I will start my Build log Shortly, and i also plan on flush mounting the screen, but in a different, probably more complicated way. stay tuned....

peeples if you could post your install pics that might help others that are doing cherokee installs get some ideas.
          Progress: Installed and working. Needs some cleanup and trim work done. now for complete integration.
          91 Jeep Cherokee 8" custom lift, 3/4 ton running gear 36" swampers, Snorkel, Onboard air, Onboard Shower. Now with in dash PC!

Comment

I have some pics in my work log if you want to check that out. Is there anything specific you would like to see a picture of. I have tons of pictures of the install, I just didn't post them all to save time.

This is completely off topic but what kind of On-Board Air do you have.
            http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...-computer.html

Comment

Pre-'97 XJ pics?

Originally posted by Dingo509 View Post
              Edition? the ZJ is a completely different vehicle, briderx's install (and mine) are both the pre 97 body style XJ.

Sorry if i sound upset about that, i'm not, but when i was working at the parts houses everyone would always get that wrong.

I will start my Build log Shortly, and i also plan on flush mounting the screen, but in a different, probably more complicated way. stay tuned....

peeples if you could post your install pics that might help others that are doing cherokee installs get some ideas.
              I have a '91 XJ that I am interested in puttting a carputer in. People familiar with the dash of the pre-'97 XJ's will be aware of the overhang on the top of the dash, which prevents a fold out from working well, and the mechanical HVAC which makes moving (Or removing) it difficult. These concerns were a bit aliviated in the post-'97 design.

Therefore, I am seeking pictures and inspiration from other XJ drivers... Any pictures from briderx or dingo509, or anyone else who has worked with this vehichle, would be AWSOME!

Comment

I wanted to revive this thread in the interest of seeing if this guy ever posted pics of the ZJ dash....

Comment

I doubt you"ll find many ZJ pics here, as this is an XJ discussion.

Anyway briderx and i became close friends after meeting here. I was even in his wedding as a groomsman. Unfortunately he Sold the XJ a few years ago. the new owner promptly ripped out the computer and has reinstalled all the stock components. briderx has said that while it was a fun project, he won't do it again.

Mine on the other hand has never been finished due to having constant hardware issues. first the motherboard had no audio, the second one would crash for no reason. I then bought a new MB and so far its been ok, but i have had power supply issues and then hard drive issues. And now i'm back to revisit the monitor problems again. I have no intention on EVER selling my XJ so i will get it finished once i figure out all the problems. I really need to break down and buy a new monitor, and SSD.

Dingo

Comment

I doubt you"ll find many ZJ pics here, as this is an XJ discussion.

Anyway briderx and i became close friends after meeting here. I was even in his wedding as a groomsman. Unfortunately he Sold the XJ a few years ago. the new owner promptly ripped out the computer and has reinstalled all the stock components. briderx has said that while it was a fun project, he won't do it again.

Mine on the other hand has never been finished due to having constant hardware issues. first the motherboard had no audio, the second one would crash for no reason. I then bought a new MB and so far its been ok, but i have had power supply issues and then hard drive issues. And now i'm back to revisit the monitor problems again. I have no intention on EVER selling my XJ so i will get it finished once i figure out all the problems. I really need to break down and buy a new monitor, and SSD.

Dingo
                    It's good to know someone is still out there working on this! I fear the hardware issues, an so I'm currently avoiding them.... I am planning on using a used laptop as the test environment, sitting on the passenger seat and running USB and VGA to the dash from there, and worrying about Real Hardware after I figure out the dash configuration. Baby steps for me, starting with the most difficult and most important part first. Naturally, because of the nature of the '91 dash, it's a bit intimidating, and I havn't left the planning stages

I guess my real question is this: What are you doing about the mechanical HVAC controls? I'm tempted to put my screen lower, under the HVAC, under the vent, just cut out the coin holder and ash tray and mount it in the hole created. As for the hole left by the original stereo, I would consider using one of the older Logitech 5 channel computer speaker systems, and mounting that control system up there. BUT, moving the HVAC controls would be a whole lot cleaner, so I'm curious about your approach.

Comment

Originally posted by alawatsakima View Post
                      I guess my real question is this: What are you doing about the mechanical HVAC controls? I'm tempted to put my screen lower, under the HVAC, under the vent, just cut out the coin holder and ash tray and mount it in the hole created. As for the hole left by the original stereo, I would consider using one of the older Logitech 5 channel computer speaker systems, and mounting that control system up there. BUT, moving the HVAC controls would be a whole lot cleaner, so I'm curious about your approach.
                      I'm afraid this is gonna more of a teaser than a solution. But i actually made my own HVAC controls and relocated them to the now blocked off vent hole under the original HVAC controls. I used 2 6-position rotary switches from radio shack for the fan and position and designed a servo controller and installed a servo to operate the blend door. The fan position was easy 1 pole for each speed, wired to a relay.

The position was another issue. I found a electric ported vacuum switch by searching here. it was used in some lat s-10 blazers with auto-HVAC. its basically 1 vacuum line a 5 or 6 (can't remember) solenoids that trip individually. i ran these to each of the vacuum diaphragms to work to mode doors (floor, vent/dash, defrost etc.) then using a combination of diodes and switch positions i managed after ALOT of trial and error to get the following positions; off, dash, dash/floor, floor, floor/defrost and finally defrost.

I DO have pictures of this but i did not document the wiring or vacuum schematics i will try and post them later if i get a chance.

the only thing i haven't figured out yet is the a/c switch and the heater valve. the a/c shouldn't be too hard. but the heater control valve requires vacuum to shut it off, thus rerouting the coolant back to the motor, this lets the a/c work more efficiently. It normally shuts when the hot/cold lever is all the way to cold. i may have to install a push button for this.

Dingo

Comment

I am currently in the process of putting an 8 inch screen in the dash in my 1996 jeep grand cherokee limited.I already have a computer built,the screen has been ram mount to my center console.maybe I'll start my own thread about my build.
                        Last edited by bertsbug; 09-29-2011, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bertsbug View Post
                          I am currently in the process of putting an 8 inch screen in the dash in my 1996 jeep grand cherokee limited.I already have a computer built,the screen has been ram mount to my center console.maybe I'll start my own thread about my build.
                          I would be interested in seeing this as I also have a '96 Grand Cherokee.

Comment

Working...
                          X