SpottedBeaver's 2001 Tacoma Worklog

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SpottedBeaver's 2001 Tacoma Worklog

I'm finally putting together my worklog. I've been working on this project since the beginning of December, 2006 and I joined the forum in March, 2007. It's about time to post the worklog.

First, I'm installing my carputer into my 2001 Toyota Tacoma Doublcab. I am the original owner and I've had it for over six years. It's a great truck, I'm going to keep it for a while and the best thing about it is that it is paid for.

The computer is:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7400
    2gb memory
    A-Open i945GTt-VFA Motherboard
    100mb SataII drive
    Lilliput 7" VGA TS
    Wireless G net
    Carnetix CNX-P1900
    Garmin OEM 15H
    XM Direct

Here is my setup before installing it into my truck.

I'm running Windows Vista Premium and StreetDeck as my front end. Vista has been working really well for me and the audio, which has been redone, is great for a car stereo.

I actually have the whole thing installed in my truck. I am in the middle of fabricating the screen and the controller unit for the Alpine into my dash.

Nice.... the screen is just sitting there under the dash.
    That is changing because I just fastened it into my bezel today. It's just taking longer than I expected. I want to get it right.

That's it for today. I'm going to upload more in the next few days.

Monthly North Texas Meet Thread

My Website

nice, I wish i had a double cab so more than me and 1 passenger (the back of an 01 tacoma xtra cab is not fit for human seating, despite what toyota says) could enjoy the awesomeness of the in-car computer

Comment

V6 or 4Cyl?

If 4Cyl, what's your avg. MPG?

Thanks,

Rafster
      Post # 3000

Comment

Originally posted by Rafster View Post
        V6 or 4Cyl?

I asked him this at the last N.Texas meet. It's a 6cyl with the TRD package.

Now, my Tacoma has a 4cyl and I average about 22-25 mpg with a mix of highway and city driving. In the freeway, it's well above 25mpg.
        No mods: All bone stock.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

damn, i get between 15-20 (v6)

Comment

Originally posted by rigg419 View Post
            nice, I wish i had a double cab so more than me and 1 passenger (the back of an 01 tacoma xtra cab is not fit for human seating, despite what toyota says) could enjoy the awesomeness of the in-car computer
            That's the reason I got the double cab. 2001 was the first year Toyota was offering them. I have a friend who has an xtra cab and he, my brother and I used to carpool to work everyday. I dreaded the days he was driving.

The drawback to the double cab is, there's not much room to install stuff. I've got my PC under the driver's seat. I didn't want to put it there but that's the only place where there was room. I've got two 8" pioneer elite subs behind the 60 part of the 60/40 bench in the back. Those subs are only 4" deep and barely fit.

My Website

Comment

Originally posted by Rafster View Post
              V6 or 4Cyl?

It's a V6. The 4 banger wouldn't have had very much power for the size of that truck. It has some pretty good amount of power in the V6. I have seen up to 28mpg on the highway. That's not typical. I will usually get around 25 on the highway and around 16 or 17 in my city driving, depending on how traffic is for the week. That's a huge difference. It is 4-wheel drive so that cuts a little mpg off.

My Website

Comment

Originally posted by rigg419 View Post
                damn, i get between 15-20 (v6)
                You need to let off the gas, leadfoot.

My Website

Comment

I only get 18mpg, when I am UBER-easy on mine....and going downhill ;-)

But mine is probably a little bit bigger.

33" BFG mud terrains, V6,TRD, stupid tall gearing.(BAH!) 3.15....(and factor in the taller tires, and it might be a tad too tall for good mileage.)

Comment

Originally posted by Associate01 View Post
                    I only get 18mpg, when I am UBER-easy on mine....and going downhill ;-)

But mine is probably a little bit bigger.

33" BFG mud terrains, V6,TRD, stupid tall gearing.(BAH!) 3.15....(and factor in the taller tires, and it might be a tad too tall for good mileage.)
                    She says, "It's beeeeeeg."

You probably burn a gallon of gas just to start those 33 inchers rolling.

My Website

Comment

OK, So.... On to the fabrication.

I just started and here is what I'm doing. The Lilliput screen is going into the double din area in place of the factory stereo. The controler for the Alpine PXA-H701 is going down where the cigarette lighter and ashtray are located. Here is the bezel before cutting:

I cut the bezel so that the screen would fit flush. I just got a little dremel cutting wheel that would fit on my air tool. It cut pretty easy.

I took apart the screen and taped in the front to hold it in place. I then taped over the gap between the front of the screen and the bezel. That was to keep the epoxy from bleeding too much out the front.

My Website

Comment

I then epoxied the front of the screen from the back of the bezel. I also epoxied the holder for the controller:

My Website

Comment

I got some SEM bumper repair stuff online along with some SEM primer and paint. It just came in yesterday, so I'm hoping to start filling the bezel this weekend.

Here is the screen and bezel installed as a test fit. I've been driving all week with it like this. I just can't go without my tunes.

That blue stuff is the epoxy:

My Website

Comment

Originally posted by SpottedBeaver View Post
                            You need to let off the gas, leadfoot.
                            lol yeah I am a bit of a leadfoot, bit it probably has more to do with the fact that I have the AC on all the time

Comment

Hey Beav, nice work! I'll be doing a similar install in my 04 Tacoma soon. I'm glad to see someone else tried it before I got started. No headunit for me tho-I only listen to Sirius.

Great pictures. Keep 'em coming
                              From a Tower with 4x40 LCD, to ThinkPad with cantenna, to MP3Car rig....Flux Capacitor is next...as soon as I get my Mercedes with built-in toilet and meatloaf oven.

Comment

Working...
                              X