Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VW Jetta 99.5 Fastest Start to Finish CarPC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • VW Jetta 99.5 Fastest Start to Finish CarPC

    CAR PC START TO FINISH. LESS THAN THREE WEEKS. I AM NO PROFESSIONAL.

    I first saw this website on April 22nd, 2007, one of my co-workers introduced it to me. I was convinced and decided I want a car PC after one night of browsing around the site. I joined the site 24 hours later and did quite a bit of research and a week later started to order parts. Right now I have ordered everything I need to put this system together for now. I am waiting for most parts so I have decided to create this worklog to kill time and post pictures of the computer i am building for the car. Given I get all parts in time, I want this finished before the month ends.

    List of parts and cost. ask for more info if you want.

    CarPC
    Mini ATX motherboard- $51 can (canadian dollars)
    P4 2.66 Ghz CPU- already had one.
    CPU heatsick- Free from work. regular price 20bux
    512DDR SDRAM- Had them
    Segate 80GB laptop HD- Free from work.
    Liteon Portable External USB dvd-writer $110 can.
    Acrylic sheet- $20can
    Hardware and glue $15
    Pharos GPS reciever- $99.99us
    SoundBlaster 5.1 SC0- Free from work.
    Ultra 120MM case fan- $18can.
    M2-ATX- From mp3car.com store
    7" Lilliput display from classified- $141us
    7" LIlliput bezel for VW MK4- $120us from mp3car store

    SoundSytem
    Pioneer GM-7300M mono block amp
    Pioneer TS-W301R 12" SUB (two of them)
    SPL CP2.0 Farad Capacitor
    Pioneer GM-6200F 4 channel amp
    Rockford Fosgate Punch P163C speakers (4 of them)
    All for $620us from www.sonicelectronix.com

    Parts under consideration
    HQCT radio module
    USB bluetooth dongle
    Scan tool for engine.

    I am a fast learner. I gather more info from this site in less than 7days that people will spend 6months to 1 year to learn. But mp3car has been the greastest help. I am just waiting for the parts from the store and so far telephone service over phone has been better than good.



    First group of Gathered parts.


    The new mother board i got for $50 canadian.


    Laying out the the board on the plastic


    contruction process for the case finding a good location for fan.




    I decided not to go with a desktop hardrive, here is a laptop HD installed instead.




    All completed. Took only two days. I started this on Sunday.
    FULL CAR PC. START TO FINISH IN ONLY 3 WEEKS

  • #2
    cool, but I think that I see only one hole for the fan... if this is the case, thats no good, waht you'll need is at the least some type of ventilation holes and have the fan sucking out, giving the case a negative pressure, if you have only that one vent with the fan blowing in.... there is no were for the air to go, and your computer may over heat.

    Glad to see you were able to build a carputer in such a short time, but I don't think that's anything too special, most of us take a while do to money, from the time we decide we want it, most don't have the money just lying around. That and people like to plan things out a little more

    2006 Mazda 3
    Behringer DCX-2496
    JL300/4 Focal 6W4311B Focal TN52
    JL500/1 JL10w6v2

    Comment


    • #3
      Pics of this in the car? Seems that two days to build the case is nothing out of the ordinary?
      Jan Bennett
      FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

      Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Dennis5587 View Post
        cool, but I think that I see only one hole for the fan... if this is the case, thats no good, waht you'll need is at the least some type of ventilation holes and have the fan sucking out, giving the case a negative pressure, if you have only that one vent with the fan blowing in.... there is no were for the air to go, and your computer may over heat.

        Glad to see you were able to build a carputer in such a short time, but I don't think that's anything too special, most of us take a while do to money, from the time we decide we want it, most don't have the money just lying around. That and people like to plan things out a little more
        There is no back cover so there is a big hole, but that was closed lastnight and left only with a slot at the bottom for venting.

        I don't have a lot of money either, but I had most parts available to me, because I work at a computer store, secondly any computer parts I need I can buy it from there and take few months to pay it off. So I made the jump. By no means I think my workmanship and the speed I work at is any special. But I am just doing it fast as I can.
        FULL CAR PC. START TO FINISH IN ONLY 3 WEEKS

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by RedGTiVR6 View Post
          Pics of this in the car? Seems that two days to build the case is nothing out of the ordinary?
          Hey I agree, its nothing special but I am patting myself on the back for doing it so quick . Don't mind me. I am testing everything on workbench before putting it in the car. Today I am installing software and testing. Also I will be cleaning the car inside out and since I know very little, I will be checking to see what can be done in the car in terms of placement. I am wanting for speakers, screen, and the front bezel. I will definately post pictures as I go along.
          FULL CAR PC. START TO FINISH IN ONLY 3 WEEKS

          Comment


          • #6
            Great.
            The most time comsumming process is fabricate the screen and installing it in the car.
            You bought a pre-fab bezel. That alone took about 3-4 weeks of working (15-20 hrs). Running all the cable could also take a weekend.
            2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
            89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
            Y2K Accord Dell GX150
            RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
            EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by mashfique View Post
              Hey I agree, its nothing special but I am patting myself on the back for doing it so quick . Don't mind me. I am testing everything on workbench before putting it in the car. Today I am installing software and testing. Also I will be cleaning the car inside out and since I know very little, I will be checking to see what can be done in the car in terms of placement. I am wanting for speakers, screen, and the front bezel. I will definately post pictures as I go along.

              If you've never done anything like this...you're in for a few surprises...
              Jan Bennett
              FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

              Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

              Comment


              • #8

                Also, if it works in the house, doesn't mean it will work perfectly the way you wanted in the car. Remember, audio noise if you aren't doing it correctly.
                2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by RedGTiVR6 View Post
                  If you've never done anything like this...you're in for a few surprises...
                  Hehe.. Thats what makes it fun. I know what you mean. I cleaned up my car today and was checking for ways to wire up the damn thing, it doesn't look easy.

                  I am new to car computer. But I am not new to computers. I run a computer department store. And cars.. hmm thats a tough one... all i have done in the past is install a full audio system and pager alarm in my old car.
                  FULL CAR PC. START TO FINISH IN ONLY 3 WEEKS

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by MatrixPC View Post

                    Also, if it works in the house, doesn't mean it will work perfectly the way you wanted in the car. Remember, audio noise if you aren't doing it correctly.
                    Yeah.. I am afraid of that too. So far my plan is to route power from one side and singnal from one side and use monster level 3 cables. If all things fail, I will just have to cry a river.
                    FULL CAR PC. START TO FINISH IN ONLY 3 WEEKS

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by mashfique View Post
                      Yeah.. I am afraid of that too. So far my plan is to route power from one side and singnal from one side and use monster level 3 cables. If all things fail, I will just have to cry a river.
                      There's a bit more to it than just that........

                      You may get lucky and have no issues though. Seems everytime I touch or change anything, I'm chasing down noise sources!
                      For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
                      Leonardo Da Vinci

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by greatwhite View Post
                        Seems everytime I touch or change anything, I'm chasing down noise sources!
                        Well then...don't ever touch or change anything ever again...LOL. Like thats even humanly possible with this hobby...



                        Good luck with this install, maybe you'll luck out and it will work out-in-car.
                        RideRunner...The #1 FE, PERIOD.

                        Current Project: DFXVoice [v1.0 Released]
                        Next in line: RRMedia v2.0

                        DFX 5.1.1 Skin
                        Appstore Link

                        My RideRunner Plugins
                        RRMedia
                        RRExtended
                        DFXVoice

                        "There are no bugs - only undocumented features."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          wish it were, would save me a lot of money

                          2006 Mazda 3
                          Behringer DCX-2496
                          JL300/4 Focal 6W4311B Focal TN52
                          JL500/1 JL10w6v2

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Blue ZX3 View Post
                            Well then...don't ever touch or change anything ever again...LOL. Like thats even humanly possible with this hobby...



                            Good luck with this install, maybe you'll luck out and it will work out-in-car.
                            But......I..........just ................can't ................stop............touching.......... .it..............



                            Cheers
                            For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
                            Leonardo Da Vinci

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Can I touch?
                              DigitalFX4.0 Skin by JohnWPB

                              Road Runner RR's Myspace

                              My Ride - Car Domain Page -JWLionKing's MySpace Page

                              Project 98% Complete -FREE DOMAIN & WEBSPACE / FILE HOST FOR DEVELOPERS - PM ME

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X