2002 Honda Civic LX-G CarPC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 Honda Civic LX-G CarPC

This is my first CarPC project, so we'll see how it goes.

I have a 2002 Honda Civic LX-G Sedan. Last year i replaced the stock speakers with economy pioneers, replaced the HU with the Pioneer DEH 980BT, and added 2 12" JBL GTO subs in the trunk that are powered by a Kenwood 9152D amp that puts out 900 rms.

I stumbled across this website from a review on crutchfield.com. Every since, I have been hooked. After doing a lot of reading in the forums, I decided on most of my hardware. I chose to go with a Jetway board....hope that doesn't come back to haunt me. If the board holds up, then it looks like there a plenty of benefits from going with the Jetway.

Here is the hardware so far:
    • Xenarc 700TSV 7" Touch Screen Black LCD ($350 USD Ebay)
    • Jetway VIA C7 2G Mini-ITX Motherboard ($194 USD Ebay)
    • Kingston 1GB PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM ($49 CAD)
    • Seagate 120GB Momentus 5400.2 SATA Notebook HDD w/ NCQ, 8MB Cache ($99 CAD)
    • M2-ATX 160W DC-DC Power Supply ($80 USD Ebay)
    • VoomPC Enclosure Mini-ITX Case ($70 USD Ebay)
    • Pioneer DVR-K06 Slot Load Slim DVD+/-RW ($90 USD Ebay)
    • USB 2.0 External Slim Line Enclosure ($11 USD Ebay)
    • Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX USB 24Bit ($55 USD Ebay)
    • D-Link DBT-120 ($30 USD Ebay)
    • Linksys Wireless-N USB Network Adapter ($70 USD Ebay)
    • GlobalSat BU353 ($55 USD Ebay)
    • PCMCIA/CF Reader Module for Jetway ($35 USD Ebay)
    • TV Tuner / FM RADIO & Video Capture PCMCIA ($43 USD Ebay) Generic...just to try fm radio
    • USB UIRT infrared transceiver ($40 USD)

I am welcome to suggestions and comments about the stuff i chose, and own personal experiences.

For software am i going with:
    RoadRunner front end
    iGuidance 3 GPS
    PhoneControl.NET
    Possibly Girder once i get a remote

I ordered 2 Double DIN Dash kits in case i screw one up making the custom bezel. I have read that Dynatron 2 part epoxy works pretty good for making bezels, so i ordered one kit of that. The dask kits are slightly recessed and i am going to use that to stop some of the glare hopefully.

I am planning on mounting the computer under the drivers seat, because i don't feel like running all those cables from the trunk

Stage 2:
    New Audio Equipment:
    Front Components
    Rear Coax's
    4-Channel Amp
    New smaller sub box (will post a pic of my custom one that is rather large )
    1.5 farad Cap (I'm not sure if i will need this or not, can someone tell me if this is needed?)

Once i get all the parts in, i will post lots of pictures of all the work that i will be doing.
    2002 Honda Civic CarPC worklog

PROGRESS:
    {---------[]} 100%

Looks like you have done your research!

Subscribing to see what comes of this. Good luck, and
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

i subscribed as well...i might be able to grab a few ideas from you as things start to pan out for you...

I just installed a 7" transflective in mine. so if you need any help or ideas for how to dremmel the bezel, let me know and ill do my best to help you out (let you know what areas i messed up at)...

good luck..
      Dan
      Trouble deciding on car speakers? Clicky Clicky
      Speakers: DLS Ultimate Iridium 6.3 Link
      Subwoofer: removed
      Amplifier#1 (Front Stage): DLS Ultimate A4
      Amplifier#2 (Sub) removed
      Carputer: Removed for tablet install

Comment

Thanks Toaster and Dan. I might want to get a few tips from you once i get to that part of the build.

Any opinions on the hardware i got? Good? Bad?

I will post some pics of my car the way it is now sometime today.

PROGRESS:
        {---------[]} 100%

Comment

Looks like you did a great job getting good hardware and matching hardware! That is sometimes the tricky part. One thing I see is you have a lot of USB devices. The voomPM case if you want to keep it looking nice, you wont be able to use the USB headers on the mobo. So you will just get the 2 on the back. So you will need a hub. You will need a hub anyways, but you definately need one. Maybe you can get some of those header adapters that are simply female headers, that plug into the male header pins on the mobo and have a regular USB port on them. Straightforward wiring and cheap to buy. You could house the wireless stuff in there.

But anyways, I suggest you put the touchscreen on its own root port. So you have 1 port left. With the audio soundcard, it might want the full line too, but might as well try that on the hub. And make sure it is powered. Definately!

I can go into more detail if you need but it is pretty simple.
          15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more

Comment

Ya thats what i was thinking i was going to do. I am fairly well educated with computers, so i know exactly what your talking about. Thanks for the advice.

Here are some pics of my car how it is now:

Outside

Outside again

Dash

Sub Box.....fairly scratched up from my golf clubs etc

Kenwood KAC-9152D amp

Possible dvd-r/w location?

I have a new sub box on the way that takes up about 5/8's the space of my crap custom one.

Any suggestions?

PROGRESS:
            {---------[]} 100%

Comment

Well I have the '01, and everything looks like mine! Well except you have 2 extra doors and mine is blue!

The dash piece is perfect for a 7" screen. If you just take the screen in the case and shove it in there, it fits perfect. No gaps top and bottom and then just the weird angle piece on the right, and the depth on the left side. This is the model with the side buttons. So you might consider that with your screen for ease of installation. You can keep the screen in its case, and get a Metra kit to go around the screen case for minimal effort and a good look. I f'ed mine up because the plastic Metra uses is ABS and I broke my dremel so it was all hand done. But if you have a dremel you could make it look good.

Of course the bondo way is best, and that is what I ended up doing, and I love it.

Also my original intention was to put the DVD drive in that same spot, but I quickly ran into problems. #1 was the metal piece behind it, is very very shallow in spots, and a drive will fit but only in 1 spot. Right where the cig lighter is. Not where that useless pocket is. So it is a lot of work. And there on my car at least there is this huge thick bundle of wires that runs right there, so I would have to move that behind the metal instead of between the metal and plastic.

So it is a good place, but it will be hard to get it to fit.

I love 7th gens!

My last suggestion for now, would be tint. That is because the 7th gens are known for the hideous amount of sun they let in. I am sure you have noticed that with the sun shining brightly, even the dash cluster which is well hidden becomes washed out. I have the coupe version, and I dont know if that makesa difference. But get some tint. I got 20% tint and I find that it is the minimum dark I would go, but I have been in 30% and it seems ok but they didnt have a screen. Just letting you know that tint does really help, but it will be be Stage I rice now. It just happens that way.

Comment

Alright, i have all the hardware here and in my hands

I have started work on fabing my bezel. My goal is to keep everything where i can easily take it out and put the stock stuff back in when i want to sell the car. With that in mind, i bought the metra dash kit to go in from the front, and i modified the front portion of the xenarc bezel to go in the dash from the back. This will create an easy way to take out my stuff without modifying my actual dash.

Here are some pictures of my dash so far. The rough sanding is only about 50% done. I am using a dremel to do the rough sanding. I will then use bondo as my last filler.

Front of dash:

Sanded:

Unsanded:

Also here are some pictures of the pc case:

I took off the back plastic part and fed a molex splitter through that will power my usb hub and my usb sound card

Here it is with the sound blaster:

Tell me what you think, and if it's a good or bad idea.

PROGRESS:
                {---------[]} 100%

Comment

Looks like a good start, but the hole point of sanding it is to get a nice smooth finish. If you use a dremel, then you will create some low points where it was there too long. Its a good place to start though.

Comment

Yes, that is only rough shaping though. Bondo is the best way to fill those small dips right? Thats what i read most often on these forums.

PROGRESS:
                    {---------[]} 100%

Comment

Well if you hand sand, it will get a better look. And I learned from the best bondo expert I have ever seen GoHybrid, that if you sand it when it is not completely dry yet it is easy to rough shape and not tiring. it took about 10 minutes for the bondo to get to the sanding consistancy we needed. Check out my worklog for the pics if you want. The entire thing from me arriving in his shop to me leaving was about 6 hours including dinner. ! He is a master, and whatever he did, it works and still looks great. just mine and his 2c.

Comment

Ok, i have finished the bezel now. I used bondo as my filler and it turned out pretty good i think. It's not perfect perfect, but i like it. I then painted it with 2 coats of semigloss black, and then 2 coats of flat black. This made the finish almost identical to my stock dash.

Here are some pictures of the completed dash:

Whole dash:

Screen on:

Back:

Closeup of how i mounted the xenarc bezel to my dash:

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

I also have the entire computer up and running in my house. The only thing that hasn't gone as planned is that i can't get the bluetooth dongle to connect to my phone as a headset. It will only use the DUN bluetooth profile. I have tried to install the widcomm drivers, but to no avail. Otherwise i am very happy with the rest of the system.

PROGRESS:
                        {---------[]} 100%

Comment

glad to see its been panning out for you...any update on anything else?
                          Trouble deciding on car speakers? Clicky Clicky
                          Speakers: DLS Ultimate Iridium 6.3 Link
                          Subwoofer: removed
                          Amplifier#1 (Front Stage): DLS Ultimate A4
                          Amplifier#2 (Sub) removed
                          Carputer: Removed for tablet install

Comment

Where can I purchase a metra dash kit?

Comment

wow...I completely forgot about this thread.

I bought mine on ebay for pretty cheap. As I remember, there are quite a few vendors you can buy them from on ebay. If you live in the states (which I do not), you can use the ebay express store.

PROGRESS:
                              {---------[]} 100%

Comment

Working...
                              X