2007 Scion tC, deflowered.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 Scion tC, deflowered.

So after being spoiled with 60+ gigs of music in my S10, I've been going crazy not having it in my tC.

Forgot to take pictures of my dash, so here are some stock photos for reference:

I had planned to keep the buttons, so to center the screen I had to cut some out of the right side:

The usual suspects:

Temporarily hot glued until the first run of goop set:

A view of that from the back:

I had to add some ABS sheet pieces to fill things in.. and this is about the time the buttons lost their lives:

Another back view:

I'll save you the suffering of all the sanding and swearing I went through. This illustrates how I used the ABS goop as filler, not bondo. I initially went the bondo route, and was instantly disappointed.

After much sanding and filling, I became frustrated. The mix I was using was taking FOREVER and I was waiting 6-8 hours between applications and sanding. Anyway, here she is before priming:

Sadly I have no pictures of the priming stage for the sake of completeness.. They were pretty boring anyway.

Paint! (no, that's not primer, its Duplicolor Bumper coating. Looks pretty slick, IMO)

Screen!

And last but not least, in action:

Like I mentioned earlier, I became frustrated with the whole painting thing, and it will be redone probably using body colors, professionally sprayed.

As far as the PC components, my MII is in a ghetto rigged case waiting to be installed in the dash. That's about it for now, when I come up with a clean solution for mobo mounting I'll give an update.

Let me know what you guys think!
    DON'T PANIC.

Previous install pics in 2k3 S10

Project CarPc V2

sooooo what happen to the buttons? what screen did you use? also, how did you creat the shape for the screen mount?

Comment

looks excellent.

but wtf is going on in that last pic?

2006 Mazda 3
      Behringer DCX-2496
      JL300/4 Focal 6W4311B Focal TN52
      JL500/1 JL10w6v2

Comment

That looks great! I was going to keep that radio cover but i think i just changed my mind. Your dash is awesome! Could you give me more information on fabrication? Like what material did you use, filler. Thanks.

Comment

Its definately a Lilli EBY-701.
          Car Pc progress meter:
          [-5%-------------------] Carpc build #2. So far, 20$ deep! I love recycling!

"The car is the closest we will ever come to creating something that is truly alive" -Sir William Lyons
          My worklog

Comment

Thats really nice. I want to do something like that in my tC, but I think I want to keep it as stock as possible. So its easier to revert when I sell it. You did a really good job with the fabbing btw. How long did that take you? Are you going to go back to the stock looking colors or something custom?

Comment

Looks awesome! Any chance I can get you to make the same one for me? I love the color and Love how it sits back. Nice job dude, Let me know if you want to make me one, i'll pay you for your work!

Phil

Comment

Wow, sorry. A little overdue on replying. Thanks to all who commented. I shall reply now because I'm bored, and maybe I can help future installers.

Originally posted by dejanifer
                sooooo what happen to the buttons? what screen did you use? also, how did you create the shape for the screen mount?
                The buttons: The monitor turns on w/power... I never had to use the remote/buttons on my last install... and they got in the way (and didn't look too good), so they lost.

redls1bird is correct, EBY-701. I have had plenty of time to deal with this monitor, and overall, it's not bad. Not as bright as my 619, and I'm having more issues now with it turning white randomly (connector on the back?). It was cheap and has survived abuse for 16 months now.

As for shape of the screen, I used strips of black ABS cut from a larger sheet ordered from Parts Express.

Originally posted by Dennis5587
                looks excellent.

but wtf is going on in that last pic?
                Thanks. And, that's a scene from the HBO show "Oz"

Originally posted by Drey
                That looks great! I was going to keep that radio cover but i think i just changed my mind. Your dash is awesome! Could you give me more information on fabrication? Like what material did you use, filler. Thanks
                I used the ABS pieces mentioned above as well as a sludge made from Oatey Cement and shavings of ABS. Having tried various methods over the course of the past year, I recommend just purchasing an already made solution. Oatey as well as others make "ABS cement" as well as "Plastic Cement" that is more consistent than my homemade version. The heat got to mine and made the plastic a bit soft, allowing air bubbles to from. Much swearing ensued.

Originally posted by themetalmaster
                Thats really nice. I want to do something like that in my tC, but I think I want to keep it as stock as possible. So its easier to revert when I sell it. You did a really good job with the fabbing btw. How long did that take you? Are you going to go back to the stock looking colors or something custom?
                If I had worked on it with any sort of consistency or dedication it would have taken about three days (or a weekend). Took me about three weeks, lol.

I have looked around and tried a few auto-parts (duplicor) shades and nothing seems to line up. Next step is either source from Toyota or get the interior trip professionally sprayed the body color. (Flint Mica)

Originally posted by funkyphil
                Looks awesome! Any chance I can get you to make the same one for me? I love the color and Love how it sits back. Nice job dude, Let me know if you want to make me one, i'll pay you for your work!

Phil

I would like to, but until I perfect my work and make it hold up 100%, I wouldn't feel right asking for money. And, I'm lazy.
                DON'T PANIC.

Project CarPc V2

Comment

that paint looks NICE.. any chance u could post a pic of the can? My bezels due for a repaint soon
                  mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
                  Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
                  Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Linky Linky

I just used the black. It's flat, seems to hold up well to sunlight and fingers.
                    DON'T PANIC.

Project CarPc V2

Comment

Working...
                    X