2001 Mazda MPV - Pico-ITX

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 Mazda MPV - Pico-ITX

This is my first project for my mums car (i'm only 14, so I don't have a car). Here are the specs:
    • VIA EPIA PX10000 Pico-ITX Mobo
    • 1GB Ram
    • 80GB HDD
    • M3-ATX Vehicle Pico-PSU
    • Mechatroniks CarPC Kit
    • General 7" Lilliput touch-screen
    • Some random USB GPS from MP3Car's store

The Screen is yet to arrive, so I have been testing on my parents computer screen (I have an iMac, so I can't use the screen). Here are some pictures from about an hour of getting started:

The tiny little motherboard

The HDD

The Pico-PSU

All set up ready for testing!

She works!

I'll be posting more pics as I finish.
    Planning {[][][][][][][][][][]} 100%
    Funding {[][][][][][][][][][]} 100%
    Construction {[][][][][][][][][][]} 60%

dang..those mobos are sooo tiny! do you have an idea of how your install is going to look like?

Comment

The whole install is going into the mechatroniks case. I would upload a photo, but the site wont open the upload dialog

Comment

well if you could save the pic onto your comp, then go to tinypic.com, you can upload your pix on there then just use the link and post your images on here

Comment

here is the mechatroniks kit with my ninja to show where the screen will be when i get it

Comment

more progress on mounting!

The mounting screws in the mobo

The mount (still have to make the second), will hold the mobo on top and the HDD on the bottom

How the mount will be attached to the mobo

Comment

Hey Mate,

Have you had this board up and running? What do you reckon to the performance of this board? Fast enough for music, gps, bluetooth handsfree?

Any info appreciated.

Cheers
              Gavin

Comment

Looks like it's going to be pretty sweet.

I'm going for pretty much the same install...at least hardware wise. I was just wondering what you're doing for the sound. Mainly how to hook it all up off the headers on the board.

Comment

I'm going to use some header cabled i salvaged from an old PC's system speaker and on/off switch for sound, but i have no clue weather i can connect it through where the stock radio was connected, or will i need an amp?

BTW: I got linuxICE running really well on it, but i haven't had a chance to load music or movies on it... yet. The board runs surprisingly well for 1ghz.

What really sucks is that I haven't gotten my lilliput touchscreen from digitalWW yet. I ordered it in december, and It's late February now!

I'll post some pics up when i get some beats on it.

Comment

wow. it's been a while. I have ordered a new touchscreen from ebay and missed the shipping guys, so mum is going to pic it up while i'm at school. I'll post some pics up tomorrow when i test the screen (before i destroy it)

Comment

lotsa pictures now! lots of progress has been made. The screen arrived, and cables were made up for audio and screen power.
                      Here is the audio cable in all it's glory:

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

And here is the screen power made from a molex to fan pass-thru cable and the car lighter plug cable that was supplied with the screen:

Here is where we discovered a hurdle: the mechatroniks double-din mount was for the older version of the lcd - we were missing parts, so we had to do a little improvisation.

The screen wasn't being held own, so we used the sorbothane pads included with the din mount and the tabs that were holding the lcd in the original case (bent to push down on the pads and lcd panel) and used them.

The circuit board was a bit of a hassle though - there was supposed to be a metal plate to mount the board in the new kit, so we found some at the hardware shop (it's actually a nail plate of whatever they are called) and cut and drilled 'til it was perfect:

After we fitted the circuit board on the plate, we screwed it onto the little plastic things made to hold the screen and test fitted it in the chassis of the din mount:

That worked, so when i went of for a little lan gaming at the internet cafe, dad fitted the components and massively long cables in the case. He thought he broke the screen when he was just pushing the wrong button. here's the car pc in it's current state:

That's it for now. I'm prolly going to install winblows vista basic (cheaper than xp) all vlite-ed up so it boots quick and see how i go (the current build of linuxice breaks the touch drivers and is pretty buggy). phew, that was a long post

Comment

Originally posted by tominated View Post
                        I'm prolly going to install winblows vista basic (cheaper than xp) all vlite-ed up so it boots quick and see how i go. phew, that was a long post
                        Yes, long post, but an excellent post.

Wouldn't an nLite'd XP be faster, especially on a 1GHz machine with 1 GB of memeory? What's the cost difference way out there in the intarwebs?
                        If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.

2006 Scion xB with in-dash Atom & Lilliput 889GL -- Worklog at http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...res-links.html

Comment

i guess, but i'm a bit cheap - the OEM version of vista basic is $20 cheaper the xp home oem.

Comment

Originally posted by fatmcgav View Post
                            Hey Mate,

Have you had this board up and running? What do you reckon to the performance of this board? Fast enough for music, gps, bluetooth handsfree?

Any info appreciated.

Cheers
                            Gavin
                            I am running the same setup. No problems running music, gps, internet, bluetooth all at once. It's a very powerful setup for it's size.

Comment

Originally posted by nemoid View Post
                              I am running the same setup. No problems running music, gps, internet, bluetooth all at once. It's a very powerful setup for it's size.
                              oh hell yes. I'll be able to test it's true power once xp/vista is on it.... mwahahaha

Comment

Working...
                              X