97 Dodge Ram "RAMPUTER"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 Dodge Ram "RAMPUTER"

Ok well here is my worklog for my 97 Dodge Ram 1500. This whole project started for me in May 07. I was always toying with the idea of putting a computer
    in car/truck for awhile. Well one day I am on my way to go play some golf, jump in friends Mercury Mountaineer, see his GPS/Radio setup and well I ended up here.
    I remember thinking "it would be nice if you could do this or how about if it did this" and that is when I knew the "RAMPUTER" needed to be built. So this is
    what I got so far:

System:

Monitor: TM-868 8"
    Case: Center truck console
    Power Supply: M2-ATX
    Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-K8N51GMF NV 6100
    Processor: TURION 64 ML-28
    Memory: 512 DDR
    Hard Drive: 160Gb 3.5" SATA
    Sound: ON board sound (Looking into getting new sound card)
    Optical Drive: Nothing currently
    Bluetooth: HP bt450 USB
    Keyboard: Mini Keyboard for PS2(Need to find name)
    Wireless: ENCORE ENUWI-G2 802.11G Wireless Adapter
    Radio: VISTEON HDZ300 HD RADIO (Not Installed yet)

Software:

Front End: Road Runner
    Skin: Digital FX 2.5
    GPS Software: IGuidance
    Phone Software: FreeFone?(not working atm)

Sound System:

AMP 1:Kicker ZX350.4 60x4
    AMP 2:Fultron 100x100
    Front Speakers: 5 1/4 alpines (need to find model)
    Rear Speakers: 5 1/4 eclipses (need to find model)
    Sub: MTX 10" Thunder 4000

Progress:

1. acquire parts (+++++++...) 70%
    2. Install (++++++++..) 80%
    3. Frontend setup (++++++....) 60%
    4. Tune Audio (++++......) 40%

Also I would like to thank:

MP3Car.com ( Thanks for all the info. This site is amazing)
    Guino (RR rocks )
    JohnWPB (Digital FX 2.5 is awesome can't wait for 3.0)

Pics to come just wanted to get something out there for now.
    My RAMPUTER

My 97 Ram

The Ramputer sits inside my center console

In my truck the console had a black tray for holding cds/change and what not. A friend of mine cut away the center part and pulled the foam padding that was below so I could use the console as my case. You can also see that he reframed the inside with some MDF.

He also cut up an old computer case I had around and used to finish the rear of the console

Here is a pic of after I put the computer together. Its hard to tell from picture but most of the top plastic tray is still there. I still have spots in the front of console for change and other stuff. Thinking of using space for CD/DVD player or maybe some switches that I want to put in.

My 2 amps that are mounted under the rear seat. Wires are a mess but I want to wait until I have everything kinda in place then I am gona go through and run wires nice.

This isn't from my truck because I started cutting before I took some pics. But this is what dash looks like on a 97 Ram.

Here I had to cut away some of the plastic behind so I could get screen in.

I removed a center plastic strip so I could fit my screen in the opening. I lost my ash try and cig lighter but I still have another cig lighter so all is good.

And here is a picture of my screen ... still needs alot of work on molding it in but I will probably work on that when it gets warmer out.

So thats where I stand so far. I still have some parts to get and software things to work on but man its great to have some tunes back in my truck.
    My RAMPUTER

Comment

remove

hi how did you remove the radio and the plate around it ?

Comment

Working...
      X