1995 Tsi AWD Eagle Talon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 Tsi AWD Eagle Talon

About 2 years ago I planned on having a CarPC system up and running. I had my Lilli and a laptop to use, along with the Webmaster Auto-On Module for laptops. Sure enough my laptop was one of few that has a very weird power switch which rendered me unable to use the laptop. Fastforward to now and I have finally begun gathering parts to build a regular CarPC rather than use a laptop.

Ordered and Received

Lilliput EBY-701 7" Touchscreen LCD
    ByByte Double Din Frame for EBY-701
    Voom2-PC Case
    80GB Western Digital 2.5" Laptop Hard drive
    M2-ATX Power Supply
    Intel D945GCLF Mini-ITX Motherbaord with Atom Processor
    2GB Crucial DDR2 667 Memory
    Panasonic UJ-875 Slot Load DVD +-R/RW Drive
    Globalsat BU-353 GPS receiver
    D-Link Wireless N USB adapter

Ordered

All ordered parts have been received... for now

Software

Operating System: Windows XP SP2
    Front End: RoadRunner
    Skin: LSX Void 3.3
    Navigation: iGuidance 4.0

Hopefully I will be able to have this puppy built and up and running by next weekend. I plan on using RoadRunner as a front end for now. Down the road it's possible that I'll switch over to Centrafuse or the up-and-coming version of Streetdeck (or whatever they plan on calling it).

That's all for now. I'll keep you posted.
    1995 AWD Tsi Talon

Intel D945GCLF
    M2-ATX
    2GB Corsair
    30GB OCZ SSD
    BU-353
    Lilliput EBY-701
    Logitech DiNovo Mini
    LSX VOID 3.3

Being a dsm owner as well, I would like to see how this turns out.

Comment

Now I miss my laser RST fwd. LOVE DSM, watch for crankwalk though.

Comment

4G63T in the '95
        1995 AWD Tsi Talon

Intel D945GCLF
        M2-ATX
        2GB Corsair
        30GB OCZ SSD
        BU-353
        Lilliput EBY-701
        Logitech DiNovo Mini
        LSX VOID 3.3

Comment

I know, the 2G crankshafts were not machined correctly and can move around inside the bearings. I had a 1g, so I did not have an issue. They were all 4g63's until the v6's. The evo still used that block to this day. The 4g63 is the chevy 350 of imports.

Comment

Let's not start a cw thread. It has nothing to do w/ the crankshafts not machined correctly. Nobody knows what exactly causes them. The 7bolts 95+ were known to walk. The 6 bolts were not hence why everyone put 6bolt 1g motors in their 2g.
            ANY car can crankwalk. It's just more known on a 2g dsm.
            Back on topic please.

Comment

Sorry. My bad.

Comment

Originally posted by MAZDABOY View Post
                Let's not start a cw thread. It has nothing to do w/ the crankshafts not machined correctly. Nobody knows what exactly causes them. The 7bolts 95+ were known to walk. The 6 bolts were not hence why everyone put 6bolt 1g motors in their 2g.
                ANY car can crankwalk. It's just more known on a 2g dsm.
                Back on topic please.
                Dont forget the 93 and 94 were 7 bolt too. (trying to stop missinformation is a PITA sometimes)

Back on topic:

I installed a CarPC in my 2g and loved it. Now I have a 1g with one aswell. You will find that the 2g dash is very easy to mold a screen into. And it is at the perfect angle allready too.

Good luck

Sam

Comment

Guess I should have mentioned that it's a 6-bolt, eh?

Anyway.. I got everything I ordered and it's all together now aside from having the slim-drive in. I bought it on ebay without realizing that it didn't include an adapter. So I'm going to order up and adapter and throw in the drive when I get it.

Being that I didn't have a working CD drive, this made for a very troublesome install of Windows XP. At first I didn't think it would be a big deal. I reformatted the hard drive on the laptop I took it from, and installed Windows while it was still in the laptop. I then put it in the carputer and, low and behold, I am greeted by a blue screen of death. I looked up the error code it gave me and it turns out this problem has been run into before; particularly by people who install windows on a different computer then put it in their CarPC. It turns out that the hardware differences make it unable to boot. So I was faced with a predicament of how I was going to install windows on this hard drive while it's in the CarPC WITHOUT a CD drive. I tried multiple methods of trying to use a USB jump drive including using Bart's PE, none of which worked. Then it dawned on me that I could go out and buy an external CD/DVD Drive, use it, then return it. So I did . I called up my friend who works at RadioShack and he told me that it would be no problem to buy an external DVD Drive to use and then return. I bought it, used it to install Windows and a few other things on CD (including Lilliput touchkit -- I'll get to that later). Worked like a charm! So now I have an up and running CarPC that needs just a few qwerks worked out.

First off - My head unit is a complete POS. About a year ago I bought an Auxiliary enabler for it which would allow me to use the Audio In function on it. As soon as I moved the head unit from the DIN slot to my glove box, a few speakers got unplugged due to a hackjob on the wiring harnesses. I decided that I don't like my head unit anyway, so I called a friend of mine who "knows a guy" who does car audio. Turns out he's selling a bunch of 2-channel RE Audio amps for $100 a piece. I'm gonna get one and just wire the left side together as one channel, and the right side together as one channel. I think I'm gonna go get one today.

Next is touchkit. I am having a hell of a time getting touchkit to find my USB controller. I had it working at one point but then I unplugged everything from the computer to finish putting the casing all together. Now I can't get my touchscreen to work. Is there a certain order of how to do install it? It's hard to know whether or not I should have the mouse plugged in at certain times. Anyone else had this problem?

That's all for now. I just need to find a place to mount the damn computer.
                  1995 AWD Tsi Talon

Intel D945GCLF
                  M2-ATX
                  2GB Corsair
                  30GB OCZ SSD
                  BU-353
                  Lilliput EBY-701
                  Logitech DiNovo Mini
                  LSX VOID 3.3

Comment

Pics?

Comment

I've been at school and haven't really had time to get any pictures. As for right now, I have everything working for the most part. I just need to get my GPS receiver to continue working after hibernation. I also need to find a skin that I like (functionality and aesthetics wise).

I may be going home this weekend though and if I have time I will take pictures of the setup. I still have a lot of "cleaning up" to do as far as wiring goes.

Basically everything works properly, I just need to "smooth" over everything to make it all clean.
                      1995 AWD Tsi Talon

Intel D945GCLF
                      M2-ATX
                      2GB Corsair
                      30GB OCZ SSD
                      BU-353
                      Lilliput EBY-701
                      Logitech DiNovo Mini
                      LSX VOID 3.3

Comment

Hey I started mine in my dsm, take a look.
                        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...ipse-pics.html

Comment

Working...
                        X