Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1999 Grand Cherokee - Mission Impossible?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 Grand Cherokee - Mission Impossible?

First off, I've never been a member of a forum, because I've never found their contents to be fitting or useful...

until I stumbled on mp3car.com and just spent the last 7 and a half hours straight looking at some of the REDICULOUSLY good looking installations and projects. Great Job to all!

Second, while I'm not new to car stereo installation, I've never done a CarPC install, or anything beyond running wires and connecting them. Ok, so I built a sub box once. I put astro-turf on it.

So one would assume I'd want to take the next step... Wrong. I want to skip like 5 steps, and try something crazy.

I noticed the other day that my iPod Touch fits inside the tape deck of my 1999 Grand Cherokee stock Infinity system head unit. So I want to modify the tape deck to be an iPod dock. I know it's impossible, but I welcome the challenge and the failure. If anyone wants to take the ride with me, I'll be posting my trials and tribulations.
    Wanted: Witticism for this space. Message me.

Actually doesn't sound too impossible. Actually sounds kind of like a cool project and could turn out to lead to some other interesting ideas for you. Good luck.

Comment

Sounds interesting. And, since an iPod Touch is first cousin to a computer, it nearly qualifies as a carPC.

My Windows mobile phone and Blackberry both have more power than the early PCs I had, so they nearly count too.

Close enough, I say. Welcome aboard, and good luck! It'll be fun to ride along with you.
      If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.

2006 Scion xB with in-dash Atom & Lilliput 889GL -- Worklog at http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...res-links.html

Comment

Silly Me

I forgot to mention the "Mission Impossible" part of my project! I want the steering wheel controls to control the iPod. Feel free to change your comments... haha!

So far as I can figure, the steering wheel controls do their work through the PCI bus in the car. So, all I have to do is figure out how to rob the signal from there, create a custom circuit to translate those signals into ipodspeak, and get it to the dock connector. Added bonus is that i can also put the charging circuit and audio circuit on the same board, and make a custom enclosure for it all.

Wish me more luck! I'm gonna need it!
        Wanted: Witticism for this space. Message me.

Comment

Originally posted by AthAnark28 View Post
          I forgot to mention the "Mission Impossible" part of my project! I want the steering wheel controls to control the iPod. Feel free to change your comments... haha!

So far as I can figure, the steering wheel controls do their work through the PCI bus in the car. So, all I have to do is figure out how to rob the signal from there, create a custom circuit to translate those signals into ipodspeak, and get it to the dock connector. Added bonus is that i can also put the charging circuit and audio circuit on the same board, and make a custom enclosure for it all.

Wish me more luck! I'm gonna need it!
          I'm interested in figuring out the pci bus on the GC as well, I haven't come across much on the internet about it. I'm keeping my eye on this thread!
          Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

The dock part has been done, look here for some ideas:
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2560605

Comment

Working...
            X