My Carputer Build Thread in 04 Civic...final pics posted march 28

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Carputer Build Thread in 04 Civic...final pics posted march 28

I just bought most of my components for my first car pc today. I am excited to start the build. I am going to be going with air cooled for now...but if it doesn't cut it with the az heat ill try out liquid cooled. I will add more stuff when I buy it. I should be purchasing the power supply tomorrow...goin with the opus 360w.

the components purchased so far are as follows:

pre molded 7"Lilliput touch screen...and the buttons light up blue to match the rest of my dash!

Intel Mini-ITX Mobo...measures 6.7"x6.7"(super small)

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400- 3GHz dual core with 1333MHz front side bus

4GB Kingston DDR2-800 HyperX Ram

Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme True 120 CPU Heatsink

Bgears B-cool Fan w/ Temp/RPM Display- 120mm

500GB Western Digital Green Power SATA Hard Drive- since it uses less power

Here are some pics of the car it is going into.

K24 Frankenstein Swap
    2004 NHBP EM2
    K24 Frankenstein Swap
    212hp/180TQ

I love the look of your civic..... you obviously payed alot of attention to detail.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Originally posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
      I love the look of your civic..... you obviously payed alot of attention to detail.
      thx...and you have no idea how much attention to detail i pay attention to. I do all my own work so I am very meticulous in the process
      2004 NHBP EM2
      K24 Frankenstein Swap
      212hp/180TQ

Comment

one thing i am curious about though...i was talking to the peron i bought the screen from and he was saying that the ecu i chose is a bad choice. does anyone else agree? if so why
        2004 NHBP EM2
        K24 Frankenstein Swap
        212hp/180TQ

Comment

Progress pics as of Feb 16th

Here are some pics of the work I have done so far on the case. I still need to mount that shelf, the fans, and figure out how all my wiring is going to be situated.

2004 NHBP EM2
          K24 Frankenstein Swap
          212hp/180TQ

Comment

First off, great job. I love the civic!

Next, why such a small mobo if your going to put it in a full size ATX case?

And also, I am guessing you did a dash swap correct? What did you put in there? That is what I want in mine!
            Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
            1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
            30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
            15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
            Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Also, is that an opus 320? It looks like an M2-ATX?
              Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
              1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
              30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
              15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
              Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

the only reason my case is so large is because of my heatsink. i am considering using a shorter heatsink and cutting the box in half. it is an m2-atx. i decided that i wouldnt need an opus 360.

no dash swap...just that bezel with the screen
                2004 NHBP EM2
                K24 Frankenstein Swap
                212hp/180TQ

Comment

Originally posted by sniperscout View Post
                  the only reason my case is so large is because of my heatsink. i am considering using a shorter heatsink and cutting the box in half. it is an m2-atx. i decided that i wouldnt need an opus 360.

no dash swap...just that bezel with the screen
                  That heat sink is really over kill. I mean, with the mobo on its side like that, isnt it going to put a strain on the MoBo to support the weight of it? My AMD is dual core and a small heat sink with a fan at full speed does the job.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                  4X MK808b
                  3x Perixx Touchpads
                  3x 7 inch Screens
                  1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Well, with a screen name of sniperscout and "Semper Fidelis" on his arm, we can probably infer that he's been in the business of making clean kills, so "overkill" is normal.

If that's accurate, Welcome Home, sniperscout. Thanks for serving.
                    If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.

2006 Scion xB with in-dash Atom & Lilliput 889GL -- Worklog at http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...res-links.html

Comment

A little detective work says he's in a warm climate and that an oversize heatsink/fan is not overkill, especially in a small enclosed space (presumably in his trunk?)...
                      I have too much time and too little aggravation in my life, so I built a carPC. ;)

Comment

it is being worked into my rear seat delete. there is going to be better airflow than in the trunk but I am located in phoenix and the summers are brutal so I decided to go with a large heatsink.

as far as strain from the heatsink goes ...arent most motherboards on there sides inside a normal tower? I am using the same amount of screws and have some rubber "legs" to provide additional support.

thx rdholtz
                        2004 NHBP EM2
                        K24 Frankenstein Swap
                        212hp/180TQ

Comment

Yea, most motherboards are indeed on there side....but they dont have to deal with the bounces in the road. I would build a support for the top of it..so that it is stationary at two points instead of one.

Comment

Originally posted by hithere View Post
                            A little detective work says he's in a warm climate and that an oversize heatsink/fan is not overkill, especially in a small enclosed space (presumably in his trunk?)...
                            Im also in a warm climate, with a hefty processor also. A standard heatsink works, but my case has alot of fans, so there isnt enough time for heat buildup.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                            4X MK808b
                            3x Perixx Touchpads
                            3x 7 inch Screens
                            1x Win 7 PC

Comment

i was thinking about going with this one and cutting the case in half...it would match the heatsinks i bought for the north and south bridges(second pic)

I also got the shelf mounted...it looks crooked in the first pic but it wasnt situated properly

2004 NHBP EM2
                              K24 Frankenstein Swap
                              212hp/180TQ

Comment

Working...
                              X