2000 Saturn SL2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Saturn SL2

I've been a member for this site for a couple years now and finally decided to take the plug and install a carputer.

1.8 GHZ Intel BOXD945GCLF Intel Atom processor 230 Intel 945GC
    1GB Ram
    160 GB 2.5 Hard Drive
    M2-ATX PS
    Lilliput EBY-701 touchscreen
    Custom Plexiglass Computer Case

Need to buy
    Ext. DVD
    Centrafuse
    Iguidance

Here is my car. A 2000 Saturn SL2.

Here is the stock dash. Double din, great for a touchscreen.
    Lilliput EBY701, M2-ATX, Intel 1.8 GHz, 1GB Ram, 160 GB 2.5 hard drive, Centrafuse, Garmin Mobile PC, GlobalSat BU-353.
    My 2000 Saturn SL2 Worklog

Here is the computer.

Computer on workbench getting software and testing done.

Top of Computer Case with PS and cut up mouse pad to cushion hard drive.

My dash in shambles.
    Lilliput EBY701, M2-ATX, Intel 1.8 GHz, 1GB Ram, 160 GB 2.5 hard drive, Centrafuse, Garmin Mobile PC, GlobalSat BU-353.

Comment

4 awg running down the door trim to the trunk.

I will post a full wire diagram tomorrow.

Metra kit. It ended up being too small by about 1/2 in, so I just mounted the LCD to the back of the radio dash panel.

Test fitting the LCD. It fit much better without the Metra kit.

Comment

Plastic Ploxy used to mount the LCD

Comment

Here is my wiring diagram.

I will take some photos today of the screen installed in the dash.

Comment

What did you use to cut the plexi? There are no grounding issues correct?
            '03 Acura TL Type S
            Radio Relocation [90%]
            OEM Navi Removal [0%]
            Hardware Acquisition [99%]
            Software Acquisition [100%]
            Testing [80%]
            Installation - ASAP!!

Comment

I used a regular jigsaw with a wood blade to cut the plexiglass. Just be careful of the heat melting the plexi. Also leave the film over it until you are done cutting to help eliminate cracking. I have no grounding issues. It is always a good idea to ground everything to one point. Also run your audio/video cables away from your power cables to eliminate any hum.

Comment

and to drill the holes you used a regular drill bit?
                '03 Acura TL Type S
                Radio Relocation [90%]
                OEM Navi Removal [0%]
                Hardware Acquisition [99%]
                Software Acquisition [100%]
                Testing [80%]
                Installation - ASAP!!

Comment

Yeah, nothing fancy needed.

Comment

Originally posted by projekakkord View Post
                    What did you use to cut the plexi? There are no grounding issues correct?
                    i was wondering the same thing. Usually most people screw a cable to one of the MoBo screws so that it can be grounded. I myself built my CarPC into a metal frame of the seats, which is then bolted to the main part of the car.
                    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                    4X MK808b
                    3x Perixx Touchpads
                    3x 7 inch Screens
                    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                    1x Win 7 PC

Comment

I should have been a little clearer before. I have a ground wire running between all of the feet screws on the motherboard that is then grounded with the Power supply.

I will try get some more photos up later today.

Comment

Here are pictures of the case. Not the best but it works.

Comment

Here is the monitor mounted into the Dash.

First test boot in the car.

I'll get some photos of the final product and the trunk where everything is mounted. I still have to get a microphone to have complete phone integration. I still need to mount the USB hub in the glove box and ext. DVD player.

Comment

I had a little problem last night. I was on my way home last night, turned on my lights and puff no dash lights. So i checked my fuses and sure enough it was blown.

I figured it had to do with the screen's grounding. I originally took the ground from the radio harness and used it. I then decided it was best to ground the LCD separately. I then grounded it to the fuse box just under the screen. I haven't had any problems since. I figured it was something I should have done originally, lesson learned.

Comment

I received a USB radio yesterday. I hooked it up in the house and had great reception, however when I put it in the car I got nothing. I will be taking it apart over the weekend to hook it up to the stock antenna.

Another problem I am running into is my M2-ATX is not hibernating. Once I turn the car off it shuts downs immediately. I have the jumper set for P1 with no jumper on the M2-ATX. Is there a setting I am missing on the computer?

Comment

Working...
                              X