Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4runner carputer project

Hello guys,

I'm a long time reader here and finally pulled the trigger and starting my carputer project for my 4runner; Initially I was specing out all the components for my rig, but It turn out to be a bit over my budget. I was going to buy a used 7" EEE PC, to power the system, but i didn't want to tear down a perfectly working netbook.

After some searching, I have decided to pick up one of these:

It's a plug and play barebone system, plug in my drive, load the os, wire it up and go.

Let the fun begin.... I'll post more progress soon....

Thread moved to worklogs.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

I just missed that entire sub forum; I think I was reading w/ one eye.

thank you BUG!

Comment

here's a quick run down of the specs on this little box;

Case Extruded Anodized Aluminum measuring: 10" x 9.25" x 3.125"/254mm x 235mm x 80mm more info
        Processor: ATOM 330 1.6GHz Dual Core 8 Watt CPU with 1Mb L2 cache 533MHz FSB
        Graphics: Intel GMA 950
        Audio: Realtek ALC662 High Definition audio codec + Composite/RCA Line Outputs
        USB: 6x USB 2.0
        LAN: 1x 10/100/1000 Mbps

Rear Panel I/O
        2x Ps2 for mouse and keyboard
        1x VGA
        1x 7 pin S-Video
        1x 10/100/1000 LAN
        1x RS 232 COM
        1x Parallel Port
        6x USB 2.0 ports
        3x Audio: Line in, Line out, and Mic in
        Composite/RCA Line Outputs
        Monitoring and Management Power Management (Supports S3 standby)
        Fan Speed Control
        Wake on USB
        Wake on PCI
        Wake on LAN
        Wake on Keyboard
        Wake on Mouse
        Memory (Supports up to 2Gb) 1024Mb/1Gb PC5300/667MHz more info
        M2-ATX Smart Power Supply: Connects directly to the battery,
        Voltage regulation,
        Automatic Start-up more info
        Built-in Bluetooth-Exclusive Feature Internal V1.1/1.2 Vista Compatible,
        50m/150' Range
        one year manufacturer's warranty

Comment

The screen I'm using is the DELONG 7", it's not good as the Lilliput one, but it should be enough for me (for now)

Comment

i'm using this DeLong ebay 7" LED powered backlid, supposedly using Sharp LCD, it's cheaper than the Lilliput, and the constrast is lower, but I think it'll be sufficient for me, for now.
            Attached Files

Comment

some of my carputer parts came in this week. here's a peak at the board and the power supply attached. the OS will be loaded on a 16Gb USB flash drive. I will have a 120Gb external usb drive for media storage. It allows me to easily unplug it and take it inside the house to plug it onto my pc to quickly load songs, movies, etc.
              Attached Files

Comment

so far the project is coming along.

i have added a turtle beach 5.1 usb sound card, it sounds alot better than the integrated one.

a pic of a bench test run.
                Attached Files

Comment

So...have you had anything plugged into the ALC662 on board sound card yet? I've got this same rig in my car right now and I'm having a HELL of a time getting that thing to put out.

Nice progress btw! I love the 4Runner...good truck to throw one of these in.

Comment

Originally posted by cbevis View Post
                    So...have you had anything plugged into the ALC662 on board sound card yet? I've got this same rig in my car right now and I'm having a HELL of a time getting that thing to put out.

Nice progress btw! I love the 4Runner...good truck to throw one of these in.
                    in my book the ALC662 is decent, but it's software is POS. I could not for the life of me kill the Realtek installed software, it's keep cutting out due to its auto-detection of headphone port. Hence the reason I went with the Turtle Beach 5.1 USB sound card---it has 3 sets of independent outputs (front, rear, center+sub). it's sounds excellent on my bench test. The out puts are going straight to the amps.

my setup is generic, consists of two amps, one 4-channels, one mono-block to power a sub.

everything is installed in the car now, I 'm just waiting for a harness for the car, and I should be finished this week.

if you're having trouble with signal, i suggest adding a crossover to take the inputs from computer, then the output of the crossover to the amp(s).
                    like one of these

Comment

Originally posted by BoostFab View Post
                      ...it's keep cutting out due to its auto-detection of headphone port.
                      is that what that's all about?! Oh FFS! That's exactly what's happening to me...guess I'll look into a different sound card.

if you're having trouble with signal, i suggest adding a crossover to take the inputs from computer, then the output of the crossover to the amp(s).
                      I went a similar but different route. I went ahead and threw a Kicker KQ9 in. One set of RCA ins and three sets of RCA outs. I've got the KQ9 jacked into an old JL Audio e6450 6 channel amp I had laying around...in theory, it should all work....we'll see.

looking forward to seeing your finished product!

Comment

Thx

The KQ9 will do =D
                        if you do go w/ an external sound card, I suggest disabling the on-board sound card in the bios.

Comment

i'm using this DeLong ebay 7" LED powered backlid, supposedly using Sharp LCD, it's cheaper than the Lilliput, and the constrast is lower, but I think it'll be sufficient for me, for now.
                          Is this monitor any good? For the price was it worth it? Any negative issues with it that would prevent you from buying another one?

Thanks for any info on it. It would be nice to get a monitor that works for a decent price. It would allow me to upgrade other items i would otherwise go low-budget on. Eventually an upgrade on the monitor would happen, but for now getting the system in the car is priority number 1.

Comment

the monitor turns out to be surprisingly clear and bright.

not sure if it's just me, but the only thing is the touch screen isn't as good as other monitors, because it doesn't pick up the tip of my finger (the skin part) that well, but responses the finger nail just fine. if you don't have finger nails, you may have to the stylus.

i never own a lilliput before, so i don't know how their touch screen performs.

overall for the price, i'm very happy with it, i wont hesitate buying another one.

Comment

Good to know! I'm going to go ahead and order one of these. This is ultimately saving me a lot of money, which in turn allows me to actually get my carPC up and running!

Comment

Working...
                              X