No announcement yet.

2004 Subaru WRX - A long time on the bench

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 Subaru WRX - A long time on the bench

Well, I guess I should finally start a worklog on this thing. As you can tell, I have been a member since '06... and that is pretty much when I started my carPC project. My progress has been slowed down by a lot of thing over the years; 2 kids (one born during this project), a new house, a move, a new job, and another house. This has been a strange ride!

Let me give you a rundown of the hardware. This first project has always meant to be a trial run. If this works out, I will go with something faster, smaller, and a little more modern for version 2. I patched as much as I could from old PCs I had laying around the garage.

Enclosure: Custom (steel/aluminum)
    MB: Dell GX280 - found this out in the garage
    CPU: Intel P4 2.8 GHz - found this attached to the mb!
    Ram: 512MB DDR2 - had this laying around as well
    Screen: Lilliput 629 7" w/ transflective upgrade in a Mechatroniks bezel (for now)
    HDD1: 8GB CF with IDE adapter (started off with 2GB, but realized it was going to be too small for my needs)
    HDD2: 3.5" 120GB SATA - had this laying around
    PS: DSATX w/ a Brainstem
    Radio: HQCT (the first version)
    BT: Cellink BTA-6030 w/ BlueSoleil drivers
    Wifi: Engenius EUB-362 EXT
    DVD drive: Panasonic UJ-825 w/ usb enclosure
    Sound Card: PCI Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Misc. Hardware
    BT Keyboard: Freedom Mini keyboard
    Joystick: ALPS RKJXT Encoder/Joystick w/ GPWiz usb adapter
    TPMS: Robby's homebrew TPMS using the 3rdEye kit
    Backup Camera: Hacked Nitemax camera using custom mounting solution for trunk keyhole
    Audio Amp: (2) David Navone AMP100s to power the stock speakers
    Custom PIC solution for auto switching Lilliput for backup camera

Front End: Ride Runner
    Skin: Have not decided on one yet, currently using DFX4
    Nav: iGuidance 2009
    Automation: Girder
    Antivirus: AVG Free

Progress (05/07/2009)
    I have nearly all the hardware for this project. I have decided to add another fan in the case for the DSATX. That is on the way and I will have to knock a hole in the case for it. No big deal though. I also need to put together some relay boards for the HQCT (to control power on correctly) and the DSATX (remote amp line). One of the big things I need to figure out yet is how to install minilogon and enable ewf so I can use the CF card as my OS drive.

I have decided to make May 15th the start of the install. I have a slew of install parts on its way. I realize that I will not have everything perfect before it goes in the car, but I am going to have my main three concerns implemented: navigation, mp3s, and AM/FM radio. I will have to add the rest as I finish the hardware/software for it. Here is a rundown of what I need to finish up though:

TMPS: Hardware is done. I need to have the sensors mounted on the wheels. I also need to create a skin for the DFX4 skin. I have not tried messing with skins yet, so this will be a learning process.

Backup Camera: I am waiting on the design of the bracket for this. I am having a friend help me with the design and fab. This will run directly into the screen.

Cell Phone Control: I am currently attempting to use the BT phone plugin by lambosprit. I will also need to make a skin for this as well.

Music: I desperatly need to organize my mp3 collection and download coverart for everything. This is going to be a daunting task, so it will come as time permits.

Well, that is all for now. I will try to get some pictures up of the car and everything this weekend.

Edit: Here is a picture of my car. This picture is about 4 years old now. I am using the wheels show as winter wheels now.

Nicely detailed start. Some pics (case, car, dash, install location, etc.) would be wonderful.
    It's pretty neat that you kept on pluggin' through all the changes in your life.
    If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.

2006 Scion xB with in-dash Atom & Lilliput 889GL -- Worklog at

Progress Update (5/13/2008)

I was able to get the hole punched in the case for the fan. However, it was late and I was not really paying attention to which die I grabbed. The hole is a little too big, but I should be able to make it work. I also mounted my usb ports, and a couple of switches on one of my console panels for control of the power and IGN lines to the PC. They all turned out very well and I am really happy with the location.

I put together the relay board (I was able to fit it all on a single perf board) last night for the HQCT and DSATX amp line. I need to make a few more holes in the case to mount it, and finish up a few wiring items.

I ran into some issues with the RRMedia DB the other night, and I had to reinstall RR and my DFX skin (along with the plugins). No big deal, but still a pain to get everything back to the way it was.

I tried using the minilogon, and quickly deciede against it. It seemed to be causing too many issues. I think I may have to reenable it to fix an issue however. I think I added xport to the startup folder while I was using minilogon, so now on a reboot it actually loads two instances of xport.

I have prepped my media drive to be installed. I have moved the majority of my music, movies, and tv shows onto the drive. I am going to try and get the HORM working with the CF drive tonight as well.

I have taken some pictures, but my wife had the camera last night. I will try to get those uploaded as well tonight.