Starting on my carputer build. Here's the components:
    • 7" DIN1 Motorized LCD
    • Intel Atom Dual Core D945GCLF2 Mobo
    • OCZ Vertex 30GB 2.5IN SATA2 SSD
    • 2 GB DDR2
    • M2-ATX PSU
    • SB Audigy (SB0090)
    • Arduino for thermal management system

Pretty much I got fed up with my Windows Mobile GPS, and also shuffling 20 CDs. So the primary functions will be:
    • Media Player
    • GPS
    • DSP for audio (TA, EQ)

As for the internet access, I will be using WRT54GL with dd-wrt and AutoAP.

I am running CF trial for the front end for now.

Once I get more time, I will be adding:
    • Cameras (4-6)
    • OBD2

I'm concerned about the heat and cold. Where I live, the temperatures inside the car range from 10F to 120F. I'm adding 3 10W resistors inside the case for winter heating, as well as 136W TEC modules for summer cooling. The thermal management system (my fancy name for this) will be driven by Arduino. It will probably be overkill, but I'll know more once I get there.

Everything goes into small case. I was planning on making custom case out of MDF, but since I will have 2 12" subs in the trunk, I needed something very small. Current picture shows 2 10" subs. It's already pretty tight in there. Imagine 2 12s.

This carputer will also be used for sound equalization and time alignment. Looking at standalone car audio processors, they cost around what this setup costs, so that was not a tough decision to choose PC over audio processor. The cost of LCD was very discouraging, but I was able to pick one up for super cheap (fully legit). So here I am. After 5 years of thinking of making the carputer, I can finally do it.

I rearranged the original case layout, so I can put Arduino in there. I took out the 3.5" and slim 5.25" bays, moved the HDD to underneath the PCI slot. Here's the pics. The case in the trunk is on the right. Trunk will have a carpeted false floor later on, and everything will be bolted down for security.
    Attached Files

Looks good! which screen were you looking at?
    What is the arduino? i missed it, sorry. thermal management as in AC controls?

Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by joshuo View Post
      Looks good! which screen were you looking at?
      What is the arduino? i missed it, sorry. thermal management as in AC controls?

Good Luck!
      Arduino is an open-source electronics prototyping platform based on flexible, easy-to-use hardware and software. [quote from its site]

It will measure internal temperature, and depending on conditions, use heating or cooling. It will also monitor TEC and heating resistor temperatures, to keep them withing safety limits.

As for the screen, it's K90.

Comment

that boot looks naughtyy!

loving the amps and good luck with it!

Carpc plan=========90% -Never going to be finished!
        Carpc parts==5% -Computer died
        Carpc install==5% -Need to install computer
        Carpc worklog-0% -Need to start that soon

Comment

u use ur pci slot for the SB Audigy, then in future how u adding the camera 4-6?
          all using usb camera?

Comment

Originally posted by da_glu View Post
            loving the amps and good luck with it!
            Alpine PDX 4.150 for the front setup. Class D
            Alpine PDX 1.600 for the subs. Class D

I don't like the sound of tweeters when powered by class D, so I will be using Alpine MDP-F250 for them (Class AB). It's in the vertical position on the left.

Originally posted by junhe View Post
            u use ur pci slot for the SB Audigy, then in future how u adding the camera 4-6?
            all using usb camera?
            I am thinking of using at least one USB camera for front view recording, and the other 4 cameras would be standard composite cameras, for rear view and front/rear left/right, and perhaps one for the front with IR illumination.

Rear and front L/R would be triggered when turning or backing up. I can use a 4 channel video processor, to show all cameras on the screen at the same time, or just selected few.

Comment

Here's the screen. I still need to get power, VGA and USB from the PC in the trunk. I also need a plastic trim to cover the gaps around the LCD and HU.

Comment

Working...
              X