Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My soon to be delled duramax

Hello All

Ive been reading here awhile while deciding if i was going to build a carputer. Ive decided to go with it and have started to order the random parts needed. I dont really know how im going to do it but Ill get parts and set them up and bench test them then install. Im more of a install as you go kinda guy. My sister gave me her laptop(a dell) because she got a new one. The keyboard is busted but everything else works. Its going in this.....

2004 Chevy 2500hd with the duramax It should be a fun little project. Ill post pictures along the way and hopefully will turn out with a nice system.
    2004 Chevy 2500HD Diesel
    12" Touch Screen
    ASUS P4GV-LA
    and some other odds and ends

I will have this system built for less than 200$ by the time its all said and done. I will update different parts and other hardware to better stuff as I see the need to. My objective is to put a 15" monitor where the radio is. Ill relocated my heat controls and CB(yeap i still use one) to a custom console im going to build. I dont plan on having a deck as the bose system needs a line level input(i think) if not ive got the adapter. Ill have a 7" arc touchscreen as my input device which will also be mounted int he console.

What im working with

The screen from the laptop that i planned on using is too big to fit the console. I plan on relocating the heater controls and removing the vent but there still inst enough room.

This is another laptop screen i may end up using. I think its a 14" but the case is alot smaller. Sorry for the crappy pictures the sun was in my way.

I did however get the power supply built. The box contained a power inverter and the converter thats inline with the computer power cord. I currently plan on having to start the computer up each time i get in the car. That doesnt bother me as it takes no time to boot up. Ive got the power setting configured to shut the laptop down after 5 min of idle when on battery power(which will happen when i turn the truck off)

2004 Chevy 2500HD Diesel
    12" Touch Screen
    ASUS P4GV-LA

Comment

You know im more of a go as you go kinda guy. Ive totally scratched this system and started over. If a mod could change the title to "2004 Silverado build" id appreciate it.

Ive gotten rid of the laptop and decided to go with a bigger screen. The 7" was fine but go big or go home.

Here is what ive started with

Heater controls are going do under the main dash bezel and the radio is going in the center console.

The bezel is close to being done but I need my truck together this week and havent gotten the finale sanding done. I went ahead and painted it so I could see how i liked the paint. I do
      2004 Chevy 2500HD Diesel
      12" Touch Screen
      ASUS P4GV-LA

Comment

For the PC im going with a ASUS P4GV-LA with 100gb HD and 1 gig of ram(soon to be upgraded to 2gb). Ive got a slim case for the DVD drive and Im still not sure where im going to mount it. My sound is currently coming out of my carputer and I taped into the wires for the RSE. I currently have to turn the rear DVD player on every time I get int he truck if I want to hear anything. The DVD player tells the radio that its on through the CanBus so i cant fake it to thinking its on. Ive got an Converter coming that is plug in play.

Here are a couple pics. One of the radio and the inverter in the console and one of some wiring under the cupholders. This is all temperaily secured until i get my vga and serial calbe extensions in.

2004 Chevy 2500HD Diesel
        12" Touch Screen
        ASUS P4GV-LA

Comment

Originally posted by simpleman View Post
          For the PC im going with a ASUS P4GV-LA with 100gb HD and 1 gig of ram(soon to be upgraded to 2gb). Ive got a slim case for the DVD drive and Im still not sure where im going to mount it. My sound is currently coming out of my carputer and I taped into the wires for the RSE. I currently have to turn the rear DVD player on every time I get int he truck if I want to hear anything. The DVD player tells the radio that its on through the CanBus so i cant fake it to thinking its on. Ive got an Converter coming that is plug in play.

Here are a couple pics. One of the radio and the inverter in the console and one of some wiring under the cupholders. This is all temperaily secured until i get my vga and serial calbe extensions in.

It is a good sharing. Thanks a lot!

Comment

Im still working on windows 7 but this pc just isnt quit new enough to handle it.

Extended radio harness and putt it in the console.

Cables being run.

The bezels need to be redone. Ive got a few flaws which are visable and a week spot thats cracking out around the screen. Im going to run it like this for awhile and be sure I like everything where it is before I do the final coat to it.
            2004 Chevy 2500HD Diesel
            12" Touch Screen
            ASUS P4GV-LA

Comment

Working...
            X