2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i | Pictures Galore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i | Pictures Galore

This thread is going to be a worklog of my carputer install in my 2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i. I like the way jpinkerton laid his out so I will be borrowing his layout. Thanks!

Random shot from my GoPro

Front View of my car.

Hardware List:
    ZOTAC G41ITX-A-E LGA 775 Intel G41 HDMI Mini ITX Intel Motherboard (tentative)
    Intel Core2 Duo E7500 Wolfdale (tentative)
    G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) (reused from old desktop)
    Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD6400BEVT 640GB Laptop HDD (purchased)
    Preassembled Black Double Din LCD Frame with 7" Lilliput 629GL-70NP/C/T (I'm not 100% yet)
    GPS Receiver (not a clue yet, suggestions?)
    Sirius/XM (not a clue yet, suggestions?)
    HD/FM/AM (not a clue yet, suggestions?)

Software List:
    Windows 7 32bit (maybe a *nix distro)

Plugin List:
    None yet

Table of Contents:
    Wednesday April 29th: Playing with Cardboard
    Friday April 30th: Roughing out the Wood

Thursday April 29th: Playing with cardboard

Most likely the layout; overhead view.

Angled overhead. Notice that "indent" on the far side from the vertical cardboard, I think I could leave that void there and insert a small fan to bring fresh air in from the trunk.

Sideview showing height.

Underneath the carpet is the spare.

So I should have plenty of room.

My one concern is I'd like to make this a enclosed and "oem" as possible when looking into the trunk, also need to brainstorm on a "removable" lid to my removable box.

Comment

Friday April 30th: Roughing out the Wood

Wanted to get more done today, but it started pouring and MDF + Water does not equal a good combo.

Comment

Quite the compliment you gave me there forfend!

I haven't started work on my trunk. I'm considering going two options with my false wall, building it myself/having someone else build it. Having someone else build it will run me about $125. I was thinking about doing a full wall and covering it with some carpet that looks similar to my trunk. I think I could do it myself for under $125, easily.

What made you choose MDF?
        FAQ to the FAQ - Great Starting Point

My 2006 Honda Accord Carputer - Work In Progress
        My 1997 Chrysler Concorde Carputer - Died

Comment

Main reason was the local Home Depot had a damaged 4x8 sheet so I got roughly a 4x7 sheet for $2.something. Hopefully if the humidity isn't to bad I want to build a temp wall in the box and fill the far side with great stuff. This should make a great mold for me to fiberglass onto. I would rather fiberglass on my kitchen table than at some crazy angle in the trunk. Right now I'm at $24 for the materials to build the box. Need to pick up some more resin and carpet still. I should be right around $35 in materials.

Comment

Not too bad of a deal! Looking forward to more updates! I'd recommend the BU-353, I've only seen it in action/read reviews but I have one sitting on my desk at work.

Comment

How would you say it compares to lets say the Garmin setup? Humidity is brutal today, but by noon it should dry up a bit. Depending on the screen I go with I might need to relocate the buttons. Not sure I like the idea of 100% remote only, especially on a proprietary remote.

Once I get the screen in playing around and test fitting will be a lot easier.

Comment

What do you mean proprietary? The BU-353 is a GPS puck with a USB end. Plug it in and load the driver, you can use any map with GPS support.

Comment

Working...
                X