Dual zone control VX Commodore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual zone control VX Commodore

Today I AM going to start my car PC project. I ahve a 2001 VX commodore wagon that will get a car PC with 2 7" touchscreens that hopefully will be able to be controlled seperately.

One screen will be in the dash, replacing the old factory head unit. this will control all functions and run CF3. the extra screen will be able to be turned on as needed for the front passenger to be able to watch media (movies, tv) through a 'second instance' of CF3 through wireless headset.

i.e. driver can listen to music/radio/nav through main screen and car speakers, whilst passenger watches film/tv through 2nd screen and headset.

To enable this I have done lots of reading and have found things like nComputing's X-series
    http://www.ncomputing.com/Products/X...S/Default.aspx
    and Fiddlehead
    http://www.myfiddlehead.com/installation-2
    as well as server to thin-client stuff
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en...5-4063703.html
    and KVM switches and UltraMon software
    http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/tour/
    (this is regarding video and monitor control, not sound, which seems to be well-documented here)

I have read the ZX1 cruizer thread, which has lots of cool ideas. My main concern is that I don't want to buy hardware and it turn out that the screens can't handle video and sound playback effectively.

Can anyone give me definate word that the X-series gear from nComputing could handle replicating the CF3 software? I will test the concept out on my HTPC first then design the PC to cater for the requirements of the system.

Thanks all

i am going to try and build a server for my car with accessing through thin clients..

Just need to learn about servers.. hhmm

going to post photos soon to illustrate my ides. sorry that i haven't actually started the physical work yet.. will be soon though.

Comment

Originally posted by springate View Post
      i am going to try and build a server for my car with accessing through thin clients..

Just need to learn about servers.. hhmm

going to post photos soon to illustrate my ides. sorry that i haven't actually started the physical work yet.. will be soon though.
      Problem is the server would not be acessible. Doing so will introduce slowdown for the thin clients and the server if you try to run anything on that server. Also thin clients are so limited. Most run on Windows CE, or Windows Embedded. I researched all routes and another thing is that the thin client hardware is just to limited. You cant use all USB devices and graphics power is very slow. That is the reason I went with 7 different systems that are all connected via ethernet.

Today I AM going to start my car PC project. I ahve a 2001 VX commodore wagon that will get a car PC with 2 7" touchscreens that hopefully will be able to be controlled seperately.

One screen will be in the dash, replacing the old factory head unit. this will control all functions and run CF3. the extra screen will be able to be turned on as needed for the front passenger to be able to watch media (movies, tv) through a 'second instance' of CF3 through wireless headset.

i.e. driver can listen to music/radio/nav through main screen and car speakers, whilst passenger watches film/tv through 2nd screen and headset.

To enable this I have done lots of reading and have found things like nComputing's X-series
      http://www.ncomputing.com/Products/X...S/Default.aspx
      and Fiddlehead
      http://www.myfiddlehead.com/installation-2
      as well as server to thin-client stuff
      http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en...5-4063703.html
      and KVM switches and UltraMon software
      http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/tour/
      (this is regarding video and monitor control, not sound, which seems to be well-documented here)

I have read the ZX1 cruizer thread, which has lots of cool ideas. My main concern is that I don't want to buy hardware and it turn out that the screens can't handle video and sound playback effectively.

Can anyone give me definate word that the X-series gear from nComputing could handle replicating the CF3 software? I will test the concept out on my HTPC first then design the PC to cater for the requirements of the system.

Thanks all
      If you plan to use touchscreens, you have to use KVMP switches. Regular KVMs will not work. N-computing will not work. I spent almost a month talking with their tech support. The hardware is slow and the terminals are taxing on the main pc. Also there is no touchscreen support with ncomputing.

You will not have to run 2 instances of CF3, plus it isnt doable. CF 3.2 will have full multizone support. So front will have its controls and you can have each seat have its own controls also. This will require a powerful rig.

How many seats do you plan to do. I can give you hardware advice. Do not go my route, I have wayyyyyyyyyyyyy to much and its so confusing and really hard to power.

My setup can handle more then enough video and sound, in fact it can run 3D gaming, problem is not power, but money. The install is financially sucking me dry. Also some of the stuff is not proven until I have all the hardware together, which will not be till the end of this year. One big thing right now is powering everything. Originally I wanted to use 3 PSU units to power the rear, but it turns out having the OPUS turn them off without power down, could destroy the hard drives, even with them in EWF mode.

I can help you along, but I will say that I am learning as I go also.
      Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
      4X MK808b
      3x Perixx Touchpads
      3x 7 inch Screens
      1X 7 inch motorized Screen
      1x Win 7 PC

Comment

If its just front and rear, then all you need is CF3.2 and a system with 2 graphic out ports (which is standard on most mobos now a days). Then you will need two soundcards. One is main audio, and the second card is for headphones. I used a PCI card for main audio, then a USB soundcard that has built in simulated 7.1 surround sound.

You are over thinking your install.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
        4X MK808b
        3x Perixx Touchpads
        3x 7 inch Screens
        1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Originally posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
          You are over thinking your install.
          +1

Thats way more hardware/software then you need for a dual-zone install. You can try it with a single CF instance or give a multi-zone frontend a try and save yourself a ton of money.
          openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
          - Always Recruiting Developers -
          Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Originally posted by justchat_1 View Post
            +1

Thats way more hardware/software then you need for a dual-zone install. You can try it with a single CF instance or give a multi-zone frontend a try and save yourself a ton of money.
            CF is multi-zone..... Now if you need use like me with like 15+ buttons for the rear, then you have to wait for CF 3.2, which will be unlocked and unlimited as far as the rear screens.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
            4X MK808b
            3x Perixx Touchpads
            3x 7 inch Screens
            1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Originally posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
              CF is multi-zone..... Now if you need use like me with like 15+ buttons for the rear, then you have to wait for CF 3.2, which will be unlocked and unlimited as far as the rear screens.
              dual-zone not multi-zone...we've had this conversation before lol. Either way, I did say CF was an option.
              openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
              - Always Recruiting Developers -
              Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Originally posted by justchat_1 View Post
                dual-zone not multi-zone...we've had this conversation before lol. Either way, I did say CF was an option.
                CF3.2 will have multizone. Stop trying to sell a FE that doesnt have the same functionality as CF. Yea it has multi-zone, but thats all it basically has. CF 3.2 will be 100% multi-zone, while still having a huge plug-in selection, skin selection, and ease of use.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                4X MK808b
                3x Perixx Touchpads
                3x 7 inch Screens
                1x Win 7 PC

Comment

i'm going with CF3 for my front end, sorry openmobile maybe when your other features and plugins are more developed.

the plan is for 2 7 inch touchscreens in the front (one in dash and one in sun visor) and eventually a flip down with headsets in the back

does anyone know of any good threads to read that involve automatic synching to home network (i.e. when I pull up at home the PC can wirelessly synch up to home PC to update audio/video?)

I'm going to try and keep this build as compact as possible, but i can see it possibly taking over the car LOL, I really shouldn't have read HiJack's thread!

Comment

I've been looking into iphone handsfree, and will get a carcomm cradle with external antenna (reception is patchy in most of Qld) and looking at getting a Andrea superbeam bundle.

How will I connect this external soundcard with a second soundcard for the passenger's audio?

Comment

i'm going with CF3 for my front end, sorry openmobile maybe when your other features and plugins are more developed.

the plan is for 2 7 inch touchscreens in the front (one in dash and one in sun visor) and eventually a flip down with headsets in the back

does anyone know of any good threads to read that involve automatic synching to home network (i.e. when I pull up at home the PC can wirelessly synch up to home PC to update audio/video?)

I'm going to try and keep this build as compact as possible, but i can see it possibly taking over the car LOL, I really shouldn't have read HiJack's thread!
                      I think there is a plugin for CF for the syncing. I am not 100% sure though. Check out the plugin download area on the Flux forums.

Yes, my thread is only for psycho people, and people that are interested in psycho people. My image on what type of setup a car should have is just so blown up. For a person only doing a front and rear setup, it really only needs one setup (PC).

I've been looking into iphone handsfree, and will get a carcomm cradle with external antenna (reception is patchy in most of Qld) and looking at getting a Andrea superbeam bundle.

How will I connect this external soundcard with a second soundcard for the passenger's audio?
                      I am not sure what you are asking here. So you have onboard audio, are you using that? Then you have an external for rear. So now your going to add a third for handsfree? I wouldnt bother with the andrea and simply buy the Phoenix SOHO echo cancel card and do the mod for it, located here. http://forums.fluxmedia.net/general-...enix-soho.html

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                      4X MK808b
                      3x Perixx Touchpads
                      3x 7 inch Screens
                      1x Win 7 PC

Comment

i'm more wondering how the PC "sees" the radio input and the mike input. how does it know when to choose what signal? (obviously i don't want the mike on all the time only when i'm making calls, and i want the radio/other media to pause when a call comes through)

Comment

i'm more wondering how the PC "sees" the radio input and the mike input. how does it know when to choose what signal? (obviously i don't want the mike on all the time only when i'm making calls, and i want the radio/other media to pause when a call comes through)
                          That is all controlled by the software. When an incoming call comes in, CF pauses the music. When you hang up, it starts the music back up.

Now because you are using 2 soundcards, in options, you would tell the phone aspect what soundcard to always use for mic and sound.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                          4X MK808b
                          3x Perixx Touchpads
                          3x 7 inch Screens
                          1x Win 7 PC

Comment

ok ta.

so to hook up phone handsfree with 2 touchscreen outputs I would need;

phoenix SOHO card and mike, and bluetooth dongle (USB, i presume)
                            second soundcard for headphones (USB)
                            and a soundcard for car speakers (PCIe)
                            motherboard with 2 video outlets
                            centrafuse 3.xx

Don't I need an amp? (from FAQ i have read)
                            I am intending to keep the factory speakers as they are ok for general use

thanks for your patience

Comment

quick idea

have an old 60GB ipod photo.. not being used and wondering if this could be used in the setup. either as a remote and/or storage drive..

would like to have a removeable drive to take inside to synch when needed, so the 60GB drive could be used to run OS and an SSD could be cased and mounted for easy removal for synching

i've googled a little bit but haven't really decided if this is worth it.

what do you think?

Comment

Working...
                              X