No announcement yet.

Project λ^2 (Lambda Squared or Lambda II) - 1988 Chevrolet C1500 Extended Cab

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project λ^2 (Lambda Squared or Lambda II) - 1988 Chevrolet C1500 Extended Cab

Well, I got the truck Friday night after the clutch in the Turtle went out. It uses considerably less fuel than the van, and it'll burn out from a standstill (no power braking necessary)! I have already put my infamous Sony headunit into it. (I did that today after school ) Now all I need to get are speakers/subwoofer and I have audio taken care of.

It also needs:
    1. DONE! Windshield
    2. DONE! Instrument cluster repair (new one from junk yard installed)
    3. DONE! Sending unit(s) repair(ed)
    4. DONE! Tires ((15") $450 Discount Tire (50 miles away) or Walmart (local))
    5. Power lock switches replaced (inside) ($20 (USAutoParts.net #ARBC505602))
    6. Lock cylinder on passenger side (replace in pairs for matching keys) ($7 (USAutoParts.net #REPG507201))
    I'm also thinking about getting a remote locking system installed.

This truck is also officially a NO-MOD vehicle! I can add to, but no modifying existing parts! This presents a challenge for the PC install.

More details and pix later.
    Last edited by freeflashstuff; 08-11-2011, 11:17 PM.
    After a 2 year break, I'm back! There are so many new and familiar faces here!
    New vehicle, new ideas!

Chryssi - The Changeling CarPC Project

sounds like a great opportunity for a velcro, or suction cup screen mount.

i think it is plenty feasible for adding a carpc, and not modifying any of the car parts..
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

I'm thinking about doing something like 1996C1500 did with his Chevy:

Something like that to where all I would need is some longer wood screws. Lucky me, this truck has all wood paneling (not the fake stuff either!).

I don't know if it's visible, but there is a slope at the end of the console that would fit something like that almost perfectly. I would just need to get some wood or MDF:

That's all for now, I gotta go get fuel and go to school.
      New vehicle, new ideas!

Comment

Interesting. Subscribed.
        Tidder

Try RevFE
        The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

I'd like to see what you come up with. Is your truck a standard cab or extended? I am almost done with my console, you'll have to check it out when I update my worklog.

Comment

I am sure there is space for 2 headunits. You could go with this:

http://short-circuit.com/product/VIR700.html

Also has built in AM/FM radio.

In the end though, designing a new center console would be the best. You can not only add the screen, but all the comonents and PC in one area. The only mod you will have to make is a ignition wire from the radio harness to the PSU.
            Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
            4X MK808b
            3x Perixx Touchpads
            3x 7 inch Screens
            1X 7 inch motorized Screen
            1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Originally posted by 1996C1500 View Post
              I'd like to see what you come up with. Is your truck a standard cab or extended? I am almost done with my console, you'll have to check it out when I update my worklog.
              Mine is a 2-door extended cab. I can see what I want in my head, I just need to take measurements and get it put into Sketchup so I'll have something to work with...

Originally posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
              I am sure there is space for 2 headunits. You could go with this:

http://short-circuit.com/product/VIR700.html

Also has built in AM/FM radio.

In the end though, designing a new center console would be the best. You can not only add the screen, but all the comonents and PC in one area. The only mod you will have to make is a ignition wire from the radio harness to the PSU.
              That screen in the factory stereo spot qualifies as a mod. I got an exception for the headunit because there was a kit to replace the center vent part where it went. I could put that screen in the headunit's place, but that would defeat the purpose of installing the headunit in the first place! (I NEED MY AUX INPUT! ) I like the console the way it is, I'm just thinking of making an addition to the "slopey" part at the end to where it doesn't interfere with the dash.

I'll try to get pictures up in the next couple of days. School has me under its thumb right now, and I feel like I'm getting sick, so I need something to help me "sweat it out."
              New vehicle, new ideas!

Comment

Is your Mom making these rules!!!!!!!!!!!! She is being way too strict. Like overly overly strict. My Mom tried to do that with my Porsche (before it died) and then my Durango. I say these few words, "Who bought the [email protected] thing" (me of course) so after me saying it about 20 times, she no longer nags me.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                4X MK808b
                3x Perixx Touchpads
                3x 7 inch Screens
                1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Originally posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
                  Is your Mom making these rules!!!!!!!!!!!! She is being way too strict. Like overly overly strict. My Mom tried to do that with my Porsche (before it died) and then my Durango. I say these few words, "Who bought the [email protected] thing" (me of course) so after me saying it about 20 times, she no longer nags me.
                  Well, in this case, she bought it. The other two were my dad and me. He didn't care, and neither did I. But this one is her "baby" since she bought it practically new and it's in her name at the moment so she can dictate what I can and can't do to it. But, since it presents the "NO-MOD CHALLENGE" (as I like to call it), I see it as just another obstacle to overcome...
                  New vehicle, new ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by freeflashstuff View Post
                    Well, in this case, she bought it. The other two were my dad and I. He didn't care, and neither did I. But this one is her "baby" since she bought it practically new and it's in her name at the moment so she can dictate what I can and can't do to it. But, since it presents the "NO-MOD CHALLENGE" (as I like to call it), I see it as just another obstacle to overcome...
                    I wish you luck. I dont know if you remember back in the day. Worklog 1 (which was deleted, im on my third now), but that was a requirement for my install. It had to stay factory and be able to be returned to a sell able state. As you can see I had to drop that mentality to get what I wanted and I am happy with the out come. I hope you can work with the challenge.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                    4X MK808b
                    3x Perixx Touchpads
                    3x 7 inch Screens
                    1x Win 7 PC

Comment

yeah looking at some of the other work you did on your vehicle i'm sure you can whip up something easy to add to the center console. Shame you're so limited though!

Comment

I'm working on the Google SketchUp model for the console little by little. I'm also thinking about getting some subwoofers... A friend of mine found some that will fit our pickups perfectly. There are powered and boxed @ 900W RMS and they are made to fit behind the back seats of pickups. [LINK] I'm thinking about getting 2 of them to put behind my back seat.
                        New vehicle, new ideas!

Comment

just make sure to check the reviews on those--last i checked--about a year ago when i was interested in outfitting my families ford ranger with a sub.

the shallow mount subs are all over the place on sound quality-- some just emit noise that might have sounded like a sub at one point, and some are actually very capable subs...

last i checked, if you choose to get a separate sub/amp, pioneer shallow mount's are usually rated as 'boomy', but can get pretty loud, and clarions shallow mount series was rated as the most musical (like in detail--refined). but since then, there are new players to the market that i haven't researched(like alpines new shallow mount)
                          My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                          "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
                          carpc undecided

Comment

Reviews: [LINK]
                            New vehicle, new ideas!

Comment

Console Google SketchUp model

Got the SketchUp drawing finished. I can't attach it to this post, so I'll put the link(s) at the end. JPG exporting doesn't work very well since it is based on the current view.

I am certain there are some parts that can be trimmed/eliminated (I added an ungodly amount of braces for extra support...) so feel free to make the changes and repost the file (please!).

The SketchUp model is saved in Google SketchUp's SKP format, and both available AutoCAD formats.

SKP:
                              http://www.freeflashstuff.net/CarPC/SKPs/console.skp
                              SKB (not sure if the SketchUp needs this or not; I think it's just a backup file):
                              http://www.freeflashstuff.net/CarPC/SKPs/console.skb
                              AutoCAD DWG:
                              http://www.freeflashstuff.net/CarPC/SKPs/console.dwg
                              AutoCAD DXF:
                              http://www.freeflashstuff.net/CarPC/SKPs/console.dxf
                              New vehicle, new ideas!

Comment

Working...
                              X