All-in-one Atom330/ION project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All-in-one Atom330/ION project

I got my hands on 3 tiny Atom330/ION nettops. Seeing that they are measured at 39 x 130 x 115mm, or 1.54 x 5.12 x 4.53 inches, there should be enough space to fit them into the double din project box. I've bought almost all of the necessary parts:

BlackBox
    Mini Touch 7" LCD
    Directed HD Radio w/ mitch cables
    Bluetooth / GPS / OBD and other USB gadgets
    AMP9-BASIC from 41hz

I still have to buy a power supply and a different H bracket for the black box

Here are the specs for the nettop:

MAXDATA QutePC-3020
    CPU Intel® Atom™ Processor 330
    Chipset NVIDIA MCP7A-ION
    Graphic NVIDIA MCP7A-ION
    Memory DDR2 533 SO-DIMM up to 2GB (2GB installed)
    Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g/n; Mini PCI-e card
    HDD 1 x 2.5” SATA HDD up to 500G (320GB installed)
    1x internal CF socket (optional) (not installed)
    Rear I/O
    1x DVI-I output
    1x HDMI output
    1x USB2.0
    1x RJ-45, GbE port

Front I/O
    1x Line-Out
    1x MIC-In
    3x USB2.0
    3-in-1 Card Reader (or optional eSATA)

Power Consumption 65W
    Weight 650g

Next: uploading pics of disassembling the unit
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    My Project: All-in-one Double Din Unit

Main Unit

Front:

Rear:

2 screws removed, and covers come off:

Both plastic covers are off - careful not to rip the wireless antenna wires

Case is off, top view. I had to remove the Wifi card, which can be removed from the mini-pci slot:

Bottom view:

But does it fit in the black box? Yes it does!!

Comment

Immediate problems and potential solutions:

The nettop requires 19V DC input. Monitor requires 12V DC input. What to do, what to do... Technically, this motherboard should have 12V output - think of all the molex 4pin adapters you have in your desktops. Unfortunately, the fan voltage is variable and the hard drive is only powered on the 5V rail and the 12V pins on the SATA connector are not showing any voltage. If someone has any suggestions as to how I can get a 12V line from the MoBo, please let me know! For now, it looks like I'm going to have to shell out a little extra for Opus dual output. Maybe Mp3Car can be nice enough to send me one?

Mounting is all out of whack in the black box. I'm just going to dremel off the Nano-ITX stands and install proper standoffs.

The nettop is HDMI/DVI only. I bought an HDMI->VGA cable thinking that if HDMI is just DVI plus Audio, and DVI->VGA is a pretty popular adapter, then HDMI->VGA should work too. It didn't. It does, however, work with DVI->VGA adapter. I'm going to buy a DVI->VGA wire on monoprice and make myself a custom wire so I can have an easy hook up of custom plug from Mini Touch display to DVI. God help me.

4. Power button. Since this is an all-in-one nettop, it naturally does not have a mobo header for power on/off switch. It does have a power switch though, so I'm hoping to break that thing apart and solder the power-up wire from the power supply to the contacts in the switch. That should work, right?

Comment

it would be nice to use one of those for my home pc-- the rest of the family would love the extra storage in the computer area...

1.for power, it might be easier to just use a 19v carnetix, and power the screen from car power..

2&3 are covered

4. i think you have a understanding here, but i would recommend just soldering to the leads of the power button so that the power button still works-- just in case there is a problem, you can still trouble shoot using the onboard power button.
        My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
        "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
          it would be nice to use one of those for my home pc-- the rest of the family would love the extra storage in the computer area...

1.for power, it might be easier to just use a 19v carnetix, and power the screen from car power..

2&3 are covered

4. i think you have a understanding here, but i would recommend just soldering to the leads of the power button so that the power button still works-- just in case there is a problem, you can still trouble shoot using the onboard power button.
          1. I looked up the specs for MoCoSo Mini Touch screen - 11V-14V. The car voltage fluctuates a lot more, doesn't it? Or does it fluctuate on the lower end? Do you think it's rated to work directly off the battery? If so, I can use DCDC-USB from mp3car's store - it's only 60 bucks and it was reviewed on a 19V system and ran just fine.

4. I'm very scared at the prospect of soldering wires to button terminals - everything is TINY on that MoBo. Do you have any advice as to how best to solder small wires / terminals? Is there some sort of combination of a syringe-type soldering tip that is needle-thin?

Comment

The touch screen will probably be okay on just car power, but soundman is right - get a Carnetix P1900, which will provide dual voltage output - 19V and 12v to the touchscreen.
            Originally posted by ghettocruzer
            I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
            Want to:
            -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
            -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

CNX-p1900 is massive and isn't suitable for my project. I just purchased DCDC-USB and gonna power the screen off the battery. It is supposed to run off car power directly, apparently.

Comment

Yes, the dc-dc should be fine

For soldering the power button, maybe you could post some pics?

Usually the buttons aren't too bad-- they are not as sensitive to heat as led's or ic's, so there is less to worry about. I usually just make sure my soldering iron is very hot, and has been tinned enough that I only need to touch the circuit for a second.

next project? subaru brz
                carpc undecided

Comment

Thanks soundman, I'll post some pics of the power button after I get back from work

Comment

Originally posted by nivanov View Post
                    The nettop is HDMI/DVI only. I bought an HDMI->VGA cable thinking that if HDMI is just DVI plus Audio, and DVI->VGA is a pretty popular adapter, then HDMI->VGA should work too. It didn't. It does, however, work with DVI->VGA adapter. I'm going to buy a DVI->VGA wire on monoprice and make myself a custom wire so I can have an easy hook up of custom plug from Mini Touch display to DVI. God help me.
                    Just a heads up not all DVI can be converted to VGA. Theres two types of DVI, analog and digital. If its analog you can convert it with a simple adapter. If its digital, you can't-your only option there is an expensive converter box.

btw-where did you find one? Haven't seen one of these on ebay or at any store
                    openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
                    - Always Recruiting Developers -
                    Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, justchat_1!. I tested the DVI port on the nettop using a DVI-to-VGA adapter from a Mac and it works great, so the port is definitely DVI-A compatible. The cable i'm buying from monoprice is DVI-A to SVGA so it definitely should work. The plan is to take one cable and cut off the vga port, leaving the DVI port and a bunch of wires, and then cut off the VGA port from the monitor wire and solder all that **** together. Hopefully, they are color-coded or something. Even better if they are color-coded the same way. I'm going to open the vga plugs to make sure.

I got it on Ebay from some guy from Australia. They are extremely rare so I'm not sure where else you could find them. I bought 3 and going to sell the other 2. I'll probably end up reposting it on ebay.

Comment

Here are some high-res pictures of the power button:
                        Front:
                        Back: There are 3 contacts. 2 for trigger, 1 for securing it to the PCB?
                        Underneath: not much here. Those two big contacts are way too far apart to be the trigger:

I know the contacts look pretty big in these pictures, but here it is, a bit zoomed out. It's that tiny black element in the top right corner, next to the LEDs:

Any advice? I think I can see the tiny metal thing that's holding the button housing together, but it'd be nicer not to destroy the button permanently.

Comment

Cut off the Nano-ITX stands in the black box:

Peeled off the wifi antennas from the nettop's case (I used a small metal pick):

Comment

Originally posted by nivanov View Post
                            Here are some high-res pictures of the power button:
                            Front: *omitted pic*(no reason to repost them-- imo, takes up too much space..)
                            Back: There are 3 contacts. 2 for trigger, 1 for securing it to the PCB? *omitted pic*
                            Underneath: not much here. Those two big contacts are way too far apart to be the trigger:*omitted pic*

I know the contacts look pretty big in these pictures, but here it is, a bit zoomed out. It's that tiny black element in the top right corner, next to the LEDs: *omitted pic*

Any advice? I think I can see the tiny metal thing that's holding the button housing together, but it'd be nicer not to destroy the button permanently.

ok, it is a really really small switch..

you might need to try to check the switch with a ohm meter-- 2 contacts should short every time you press the button. i am thinking the center contact should be one..

the switch might be a single pole, double throw(commonly called spdt), so you might need to use a relay to trip the contacts to fool the pc correctly...

next project? subaru brz
                            carpc undecided

Comment

could you please elaborate? It's not enough to just trip it with the mobo signal switch? The way I see it, a button closes a circuit and thats pretty much it - why would i need a relay? Sorry if this is a dumb question - electronics aren't exactly my specialty

Edit: I just measured the resistance. The side contacts as well as the metal shroud around the button are one of the poles. The middle one reports no contact when the button is depressed and full contact when the button is pressed. So the good news is I only have to solder one tiny contact. The bad news is that that contact is in the middle of the other 2 tiny contacts. I really don't think this kind of soldering job is doable with my current tools. Unless there's a needle-thin soldering tip, I think I have to try something else.

Comment

Working...
                              X