Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Connected Car 2.0 - I'm back at it.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Connected Car 2.0 - I'm back at it.

    My current setup is starting to get old and it's been too long since I've had the fun of building a car pc. For my next setup I'm aiming to crank up the efficiency, get rid of boot times, and bring in more connectedness.

    Screw x86. Power is more than I*V
    x86 can never meet my always-on power requirements. This time around I'm not maintaining two car pcs. I'm going with a single always-on arm based pc. I give you, the pandaboard: http://pandaboard.org/

    It packs a dual core ARM cortex A9, a gig of ram, 1080p video and sub-10watt power consumption. I'm replacing the sheeva plug and my amd-based system with this bad boy in one fell swoop. I'm still experimenting with which linux distribution I'll be throwing on it. My bootup time will be the amount of time it takes the touch screen to turn on.

    I'll also be able to get rid of the wireless router in the car since I can use the panda's built-in wifi as an access point.

    Storage for the pandaboard is limited to an sd card or usb device. I'm going to be sinful here and stick a 120gb SSD in a usb enclosure. Yes, an ssd in a usb enclosure, it's sad. I'm not looking for performance though, I'm just cutting down on the watts and moving parts.


    More control, faster
    Right now, my sheevaplug works 24/7 at 90% cpu cranking through the extremely inefficient instructions from the fusion-brain automation application I wrote last year. This revision will be using my new application that you can find in my signature. This revision brings ajax to the table and I'll also be developing an android app, maybe an iphone app too. I'm also upping my game to the Fusion Brain v6, since every once in a while I need to give my FBv4 a kick since it runs 24/7.


    Louder Please
    This part of the plan isn't finalized yet, but I intend to replace my two blow 10" subs with a 15" sub and 2 8" subs.


    Catch me if you can
    I'm going to put in an escort qi45 discrete radar detector with laser shifting capabilities. http://www.escortradar.com/qi45/ I'm hoping to us it's external LED feature to interface with the fusion brain and trigger rules such as lowering the music.


    Organization
    This time around, I'd like to get rid of my tame rats nest and replace it with neatly organized cable management. We'll see how it plays out.


    I love Lights
    I really do. I intend to redo my underglow, door handle lights, and interior lights with addressable RGB LED strips. This way I can control every bulb individually and make patterns and potentially even visualize with the music (while parked of course).



    Hopefully I'll have this project complete by afkfest this year. I'll post pictures of what I've already done soon.
    My Nearly Complete Car:
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ed-car-pc.html

    Micro Control Center... Control Your Car Across the Internet
    http://www.mp3car.com/fusion-brain/1...-internet.html

    Website: (It's a work in progress, really. All my projects have taken me from ever really developing it.)
    http://paulfurtado.com/

  • #2
    PaulF,

    Have you looked at Meego yet (not that I'm pushing it, lots of things about how they are going about things)? But it's already aimed at the car and has *promised* features that aren't included with other distros (specifically hfdialing). Since it's still just linux, you can tweak it just like any other distro...

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm in for this one! I can't find the ideal mix of computer always on and battery never running out! My next generation system won't need the full windows computer experience, and I think I'll be leaving the entire front end tasking to an ipad or my iphone, shouldn't be hard to use either / or. Wouldn't a large SD card be much faster for the storage and OS ?? Where we're going, we don't need lots of storage...
      Old School MP3CAR.com member!

      Comment


      • #4
        Interesting stuff...subscribded.

        Have you thought about Android tablets?
        Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
        Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

        07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

        Comment


        • #5
          Hey Paul,

          I may give you a run for your money......
          The low budget model ! 2005 F-150
          -
          • -Custom fiberglass console, CB,Interfaced OBDII
          • -In-dash multimedia w/ bluetooth
          • -Piconet PAN & Wifi Edge internet
          • -Advantech relay board, Pololu microcontrollers w/servos
          • -Embedded Axim palmtop w/backup GPS

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by RipplingHurst View Post
            Interesting stuff...subscribded.

            Have you thought about Android tablets?
            He could just run pandroid on the pandaboard.

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH5wJVtQHe8

            Comment


            • #7
              Subscribed!

              You can bet I'll be watching this thread for developments.

              Glad to see you continuing to push the envelope, Paul!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by daclothe View Post
                He could just run pandroid on the pandaboard.

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH5wJVtQHe8
                But since I have the arm running tablets, I'd like to benefit from his code and findings!
                Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
                Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

                07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

                Comment


                • #9
                  welcome back paul. I just came to this site from the pandaboards website, lol. A few issues you may run into... support for resistive egalax screens in Linux is terrible. It's even worse on ARM. (Yes, that includes android). That's my biggest hang-up with the pandaboard, an otherwise decent board, but we can't get it to run with many of our touchscreens.

                  That said, I hear there are xorg.conf tweaks that can make it work. I know a guy who got his lilliput to work with the beagleboard-xm. Also, maybe you have a touchscreen with a different controller that works? nasa, is your screen still available on the market?

                  There are a few people that have meego core running on the pandaboard and there are many pushing the pandaboard as a candidate for future MeeGo IVI ARM development platform.

                  Finally, are you planning on going it alone on the software this time? It'd be cool to collaborate on stuff to make it useful to us other geeks.
                  Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
                  Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
                  Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Sorry tripzero,

                    I looked on ebay for the monitor setup I am using, and it doesn't seem to be listed. The capacitive screen is a 3M (I will have to look it up if you want specifics).

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Wasn't getting notifications! Missed all these posts!

                      Originally posted by SaiLong View Post
                      Hey Paul,

                      I may give you a run for your money......
                      Do it. More development on linux is what we need. You hiding a worklog for this project somewhere?


                      Originally posted by RipplingHurst View Post
                      Interesting stuff...subscribded.

                      Have you thought about Android tablets?
                      While Android tablets are cool... I don't want my ride to live on hacks and I don't want to be stuck in the fenced android environment. I don't exactly have a team of android developers to help me out.

                      Originally posted by daclothe View Post
                      He could just run pandroid on the pandaboard.

                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH5wJVtQHe8
                      Not that pandroid is lacking some important features. Namely GPS.

                      Originally posted by Ryven View Post
                      You can bet I'll be watching this thread for developments.

                      Glad to see you continuing to push the envelope, Paul!
                      Thanks man.

                      Originally posted by tripzero View Post
                      welcome back paul. I just came to this site from the pandaboards website, lol. A few issues you may run into... support for resistive egalax screens in Linux is terrible. It's even worse on ARM. (Yes, that includes android). That's my biggest hang-up with the pandaboard, an otherwise decent board, but we can't get it to run with many of our touchscreens.

                      That said, I hear there are xorg.conf tweaks that can make it work. I know a guy who got his lilliput to work with the beagleboard-xm. Also, maybe you have a touchscreen with a different controller that works? nasa, is your screen still available on the market?
                      Interesting... my lilliput screen that I won at afkfest last year worked out of the box with the ubuntu 11 beta on the pandaboard when I tried it a couple of months ago. My big issue was getting it to the right resolution since they changed how xorg.conf works in ubuntu 11.


                      Originally posted by tripzero View Post
                      There are a few people that have meego core running on the pandaboard and there are many pushing the pandaboard as a candidate for future MeeGo IVI ARM development platform.
                      I've played with meego quite a bit september through november. I was trying to like it, but it left a lot to be desired.

                      Originally posted by tripzero View Post
                      Finally, are you planning on going it alone on the software this time? It'd be cool to collaborate on stuff to make it useful to us other geeks.
                      Not going it alone. Before, the major reason I was all fenced-in was because I wasn't coding at a level of quality for others to benefit from and I just wanted to get things done fast. Note that I've remade the fusion brain application, etc. Hopefully I'll write a wrapper for the fusion brain 6 this week or next week which will definitely be useful for everyone on linux... and windows too for that matter.


                      I'm just getting all my parts ordered and then I'll be ready to start putting the electronic in the car. Need to rebuild the trunk. I'd ideally have everything in the car by the end of june. Once I at least have the pandaboard in the car, I'll get more serious about software.
                      My Nearly Complete Car:
                      http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ed-car-pc.html

                      Micro Control Center... Control Your Car Across the Internet
                      http://www.mp3car.com/fusion-brain/1...-internet.html

                      Website: (It's a work in progress, really. All my projects have taken me from ever really developing it.)
                      http://paulfurtado.com/

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        MeeGo 1.2 is much improved over what was available last year. As you know, open source moves fast. That's interesting you got your touchscreen to work out of the box in ubuntu 11.04beta. I tried it on my desktop and my igep (both with 11.04 final) with my xenarc screen and it wouldn't calibrate correctly. Others are apparently having the same issue.

                        I saw on your website that you made a python app for the fusion brain. I'm surprised to hear that fbd was too slow? I'm curious how high resolution data you needed... There are a couple things we can easily do to fix it. fbd solves a major problem in linux and that is how do we multi-plex access to the fusion brain to multiple processes. I'm interested to hear how you solved that and the speed issue in your implementation.

                        I know you already have a pandaboard. I was just checking out the snowball today. Looks like it one-ups the pandaboard in just about everything. Comes with sensors too!

                        cheers,
                        Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
                        Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
                        Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by tripzero View Post
                          MeeGo 1.2 is much improved over what was available last year. As you know, open source moves fast. That's interesting you got your touchscreen to work out of the box in ubuntu 11.04beta. I tried it on my desktop and my igep (both with 11.04 final) with my xenarc screen and it wouldn't calibrate correctly. Others are apparently having the same issue.
                          Never actually tried to calibrate it since I never actually got the resolution right. This was a while ago, the board has been sitting in it's box for a few months as I didn't have time to play with it while the semester was wrapping up.

                          Originally posted by tripzero View Post
                          I saw on your website that you made a python app for the fusion brain. I'm surprised to hear that fbd was too slow? I'm curious how high resolution data you needed... There are a couple things we can easily do to fix it. fbd solves a major problem in linux and that is how do we multi-plex access to the fusion brain to multiple processes. I'm interested to hear how you solved that and the speed issue in your implementation.
                          One of the bigger issues in performance was the DBUS. I needed to get it out of the picture. It was eating 30+% cpu on the sheeva plug. A big problem was also the fact that I couldn't guarantee the values of each output with FBD when making subsequent calls on different threads so the were being set repeatedly. Also, setting them individually was a performance burden and taking samples also proves to be rather inefficient. Finally, setting each output individually killed it. FBD can be fast, but it becomes slow when I bandaged it on my end to fix reliability issues which meant polling inputs and writing outputs at the same time. I was polling inputs individually, and setting outputs individually. So that meant that in any given second, nearly 30 read/writes were happening. Although, in python, if I make the simplest possible program, I can take 1000 samples in about 3 seconds. Try doing 1000 communications that fast through the dbus.

                          Originally posted by tripzero View Post
                          I know you already have a pandaboard. I was just checking out the snowball today. Looks like it one-ups the pandaboard in just about everything. Comes with sensors too!
                          Snowball looks pretty cool. This is why buying tech products sucks.
                          My Nearly Complete Car:
                          http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ed-car-pc.html

                          Micro Control Center... Control Your Car Across the Internet
                          http://www.mp3car.com/fusion-brain/1...-internet.html

                          Website: (It's a work in progress, really. All my projects have taken me from ever really developing it.)
                          http://paulfurtado.com/

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            PaulF,

                            Look on the 1.2 Meego thread -- I posted a crappy video of 1.2 running in my car. Check it out (it is updated from 1.0/1.1)

                            Comment


                            • #15

                              Heres the escort qi45 in its temporary location. Pretty cool that it has the option to show a volt meter when theres no radar around. The other option is for it to just say "Highway" haha.


                              Originally posted by nasa View Post
                              PaulF,

                              Look on the 1.2 Meego thread -- I posted a crappy video of 1.2 running in my car. Check it out (it is updated from 1.0/1.1)
                              I saw that just after I posted! I didn't get a chance to watch the video yet though. From the text it seemed like you were a bit unsatisfied though. I need to take it for a spin.
                              My Nearly Complete Car:
                              http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ed-car-pc.html

                              Micro Control Center... Control Your Car Across the Internet
                              http://www.mp3car.com/fusion-brain/1...-internet.html

                              Website: (It's a work in progress, really. All my projects have taken me from ever really developing it.)
                              http://paulfurtado.com/

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X