Full PC install in Jeep Wrangler 2008

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full PC install in Jeep Wrangler 2008

So, being in IT, and a computer nerd, I have always wanted an in car PC, and finally I decided to pull the trigger.

Here’s the hardware I decided to go with:
    i3-2100 3.1Ghz CPU
    Foxconn H67S LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s Mini ITX
    4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Crucial RAM
    OCZ 180GB SSD
    160w DC-DC power supply
    Mini ITX case
    Inelmatic 7” Sunlight readable screen, found a good deal on this and was the basis to start the build.
    Micro Bluetooth Keyboard
    GPS antenna, bluetooth dongle, HD/FM/AM radio tuner, USB wifi
    Still debating on CD/DVD drive

Here’s the unit, mostly assembled:

Next was the build plan.

Obviously the screen would go where the head unit is, simple. But where would the amp/or head unit go. Obviously the Jeep is lacking in space, and because I had an old alpine with an aux input, I decide to go that route. As far as placement, decided on a Tuffy Full console as it has a location for the radio and based on reviews is twice as functional and spacious as the factory console.

I am a car audio idiot, and had help with the wiring here – my Extended harness:

Console (pre wired for head unit):

Removed factory:

Console installed with head unit:

Now locating the PC, too much money to put under the seat, having no doors often and well there’s always a chance of water. So I will be hacking apart some of the glovebox to locate in there.

Here’s the mount for the PC, wanted it to be sturdy yet somewhat easily removed if needed.

Me hacking up the dash, will be building a custom metal enclosure for screen that will allow for a removable screen and some water tight storage, possibly a second monitor…

And the system operating, with Centrafuse, next will be topo maps with GPS locations, routes and more!

Holy wires!!!

Direct sunlight shot, still readable (looks better in person than pics)

Let me know what you think, or any suggestions.

Oh, and the Jeep!

Comment

well so much for that mac pro case lol

Comment

Done some minor work on a template for the screen holder:

The top is rough, very rough but it gives me an idea on height.

Comment

So now for some minor progress. Not being one to fabricate sheet metal very well I decided on a poster board template, to give me an idea of the look/size of the screen holder/storage.

Here are a few pics: (The top is not done, I made a couple of different heights to see what I liked, very roughly)

Comment

Very nice. I didnt know you can buy consoles like that. hehe.
            Is it specifically for the Jeep or universal?

Are you running that monitor at native resolution or higher? How is it at night? Too bright?

Comment

It's a Tuffy console specifically for the Jeep, will provide a great place to store the monitor when removed.

The resolution has been an issue. Right now It's set for 800x600, and windows is a bit skewed, and playing videos is off in centrafuse, but everything else looks great. I set it to 1280x720 and videos play perfectly, windows looks good, but I can't see anything in windows, it's impossible to use without a stylus.

I tried the cartft monitor driver to try to force it but it's not taking. I wonder if it's a limitation in 7 and I might be able to hack the registry to modify its limitations.

Oh and the brightness is perfect at night at the lowest setting.

I ended up cleaning up the wires, it looks alot better in there now, and I have the video cable coiled up under the passenger footwell zip tied to some pre existing wires.
              Last edited by Randallflagg; 07-08-2012, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Here's the template in the Jeep, I think I'm going to like it.

Right now I am debating on having it professionally made by a work client. My metal working skills are pretty bad, I assume.

Comment

Originally posted by Randallflagg View Post
                  The resolution has been an issue. Right now It's set for 800x600, and windows is a bit skewed, and playing videos is off in centrafuse, but everything else looks great. I set it to 1280x720 and videos play perfectly, windows looks good, but I can't see anything in windows, it's impossible to use without a stylus.

I tried the cartft monitor driver to try to force it but it's not taking. I wonder if it's a limitation in 7 and I might be able to hack the registry to modify its limitations.
                  Yeah I guess you will need to use DTD Calculator, since its an Intel graphics card.
                  Still, you will need the values for it. Might wanna try calling Inelmatics support and ask for them.

Comment

Oh, and the Jeep!

[..]
                    I guess you got the same thoughts about apple as I have. It should be a nice as a desktop background, got it in high res? The build looks good so far, but a bit more light when taking the pictures would not hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by Gullimonster View Post
                      Yeah I guess you will need to use DTD Calculator, since its an Intel graphics card.
                      Still, you will need the values for it. Might wanna try calling Inelmatics support and ask for them.
                      Ah, this seems to be quite a powerful program. It's a bit confusing, i had no idea there were so many values, now I see why you suggest calling them. I am going to play around with this more and see if i can get the correct values. I have contacted them through email and they responded, hopefully they will do the same with these numbers.

Originally posted by jocke92 View Post
                      I guess you got the same thoughts about apple as I have. It should be a nice as a desktop background, got it in high res? The build looks good so far, but a bit more light when taking the pictures would not hurt.
                      Yeah, not a big fan, and we were just going to toss this case so I figured why not! Unfortunately I took the pic with my phone so the high res isn't great. Oh and I do have an iphone, haha.
                      Here's the original size, it was set as my background on my "Jeeputer" till I reloaded it on saturday.
                      Seems all the pictures I take are at night, when I can do my work on the project.

So I decided to make a usability prototype. I like the look of the metal box/screen holder and figured I should make something to hold the screen and just see how it works.

I know it's a plywood mock-up done quickly, but it gives me a great sense on how it will feel using it.

Comment

Are you running the computer sound through the Alpine HU?
                        OLD SYSTEM (DEAD)
                        Intel D945GCLF2 Dual Core ATOM
                        Lilliput 7" 629GL 2008 LED Backlight
                        BU-353 USB GPS Receiver / iGuidance / IGO8
                        M2-ATX Power Supply
                        RideRunner Front End / Various Skins
                        Windows XP SP3

Comment

Yeah, not a big fan, and we were just going to toss this case so I figured why not! Unfortunately I took the pic with my phone so the high res isn't great. Oh and I do have an iphone, haha.
                          Here's the original size, it was set as my background on my "Jeeputer" till I reloaded it on saturday.
                          Seems all the pictures I take are at night, when I can do my work on the project.

So I decided to make a usability prototype. I like the look of the metal box/screen holder and figured I should make something to hold the screen and just see how it works.

I know it's a plywood mock-up done quickly, but it gives me a great sense on how it will feel using it.
                          Thanks for the image. I don't need more than 5mp either. But adding more light when taking the photos makes them less grainy. In the second image you got the flash in the steering wheel, but I know the look ok in the camera/phone but when you look at them in the computer your not satisfied.

It's even painted

Comment

Glad I made this, it sticks out a bit too far so when using the windshield wipers it's a bit in the way. And I just killed my battery, I knew I would do this at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by treetop777 View Post
                              Are you running the computer sound through the Alpine HU?
                              Yeah, through the AUX input.

Comment

Working...
                              X