Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Kia Picanto PC build

Hello Everyone,

I have been a member for a while now , mostly just reading and gathering info.

I started developing a carputer for my Kia Picanto.

Desired setup:

Asrock E350M1
    M3-atx 125w
    siliconpower T10 32GB ssd
    2GB ram
    navilock usb GPS receiver sirfIII
    sitecom BT dongle
    Custom 7 inch full HD touchscreen
    For radio module I have taken apart a pioneer carradio and took out the radioreceiver module.
    A friend of me (zanbee) is currently trying to make the module communicate with an arduino and the arduino with a custom RR plugin.
    Win7 lite
    Riderunner
    Igo8
    Bluesoleil
    reborn skin

For the screen I decided to look in china , because where I live (The Netherlands) touchscreens are very expensive.

So after a lot of googling around I found a manufacturer in china that could provide me with an open frame 7 inch touchscreen for 60 dollars.

www.njytouch.com

dont need a frame around it anyways because that would have been the first thing I would have taken off.

This is where it is all supposed to go:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-11-11 14.55.44.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	2309506

I ordered a dashpart for a 2din radio:

Name:	2012-11-11 14.54.55.jpg
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	2309507

So I decided to setup the components on my desk so I could setup the components and software correctly from the comfort of my chair:

Name:	2012-11-11 14.54.05.jpg
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	2309504

then I received my touchscreen from china:

Name:	2012-11-11 14.54.30.jpg
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	2309505

the screen is smaller than the hole in the dash so I needed to make a plastic frame to make it fit, I had an old laptop and the back of the screen had a nice size plastic cover I could chop up.

after a lot of measuring, cutting and sanding I ended up with this:

Name:	2012-11-11 14.29.27.jpg
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	2309508

Name:	2012-11-11 14.29.38.jpg
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	2309509

For the software side of things , I have practically all components I need except my ssd , so I decided to start installing and testing using a spare HDD I have.

So far I installed win7 and RR , got the phone working with bluesoleil and the .net mobilephone plugin.
    Installed Igo8 and integrated it with RR.
    Reborn skin installed and made custom kia logo for it

Name:	Kia2.png
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	2309510

did some tweaking to the system but with the old semi-busted drive its hard to see any improvements, guess I will have to wait till the SSD arrives.

after a lot of sanding and several coats of spray paint I got my frame finished.

I installed the screen into the dash, looks pretty nice

Name:	2012-11-12 22.30.26.jpg
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	2309511

This is it for the moment , as I make more steps towards completion I will post them here
    Last edited by eugenweij; 11-13-2012, 08:12 AM.
    View my worklog here

zanbee will be opening a thread about the radio module and plugins etc, in addition to this thread.

As soon as he has his thread made I will link to it from here
    View my worklog here

Comment

Just received word that my order from china has been shipped by airmail.
      I ordered a custom power source for the radio module which requires 8.5 volts
      when I get that power adapter testing the radio module can finally start!
      a touchscreen controller, the screen I ordered didn't come with one.
      and a powered usb hub for the energy draining peripherals.

upside is that china is cheap , downside is that it takes a while to arrive, so the wait begins

here are some pics of the ordered goodies:

View my worklog here

Comment

Here are some pics of the car and the current audio setup , I know it looks a bit shabby , its a temporary solution for the bad factory sound until I have my carpc installed.

I haven't done any major mods on the car just yet, just replaced most light bulbs for the led variety and painted the grill and logo on the hatch matte black, I think it looks better with white than standard chrome

Name:	2012-11-13 12.05.30.jpg
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	2284948

I have a sub in the trunk and the amp nicely hidden in the storage compartment under the floor , right now I am contemplating whether I place my PC in there as well or mount it under the dash behind the glove box, (loads of room there)

I know vacuuming isn't a luxury right now :P

Name:	2012-11-13 12.05.46.jpg
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	2284949

Name:	2012-11-13 12.06.59.jpg
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	2284950
        View my worklog here

Comment

I also have some news on the radio module progress, we have had contact with Guino from RR and he provided us with the software and tools needed to make an official plugin for RR.

After we are done with the radio plugin we might start to make a universal plugin for arduino , we are brainstorming daily about the fun thing you can do with an arduino and a carpc.

Updates on that as soon as we have them (pics as well)
          View my worklog here

Comment

Very nice start to your car PC, great job on the dash bezel/screen mount. I look forward to see what you guys comes up with for plugins!
            My 2007 Ford F350 Work Log located HERE

Comment

thanks!
              View my worklog here

Comment

yay! my ssd arrived today , must say it looks nice with the alu casing.

Name:	2012-11-14 16.21.29.jpg
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	2284959

I will be busy installing for a while
                View my worklog here

Comment

Time for another update, this time no pics sorry , will post some next time

I have been busy tweaking windows and my motherboard, and doing some test with my m3 atx power supply.

right now I am at 17 sec boot from hibernation , from the moment I press the switch until RR runs and plays music. I deffinately see room for improvement.

next step will be shutting down unneeded windows services using this guys website

I have been able to make my own serial cable for my psu, and am able to change a lot of variables now , not sure how or what I will change , it depends if I can get hybrid sleep working.

Right now I am brainstorming to leave the 5v rail on as long as possible and maximize the use of hybrid sleep, the rail will shut off by itself if the battery voltage drops below 11,7 volts.

only issue I seem to see it that the delay for hardoff is maxed out at 17hrs 59mins and 59sec.
                  guess I will have to fiddle my way around that max time or the whole hybrid idea gets a bit pointless.

of course any tips on making boot from hibernation faster are welcome

I already turned usb legacy support off , which saves a few secs boot
                  View my worklog here

Comment

I have been thinking for a while about what I am going to use as a case for my mb and ssd , well today I was busy cleaning up the storage and my eye caught it , an old 15 inch tft screen

so I took out its guts and found out the housing is perfect for my needs , it will fit my mb, ssd, m3 atx, and the future radio module including the power adapter and have room left for any future upgrades

this is what it looks like with the basic components installed:

Name:	2012-11-16 19.13.26.jpg
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	2284971

then I went on to fabricating a top for it , so I cut the bottom out of an already broken plastic container and glued it in place

this is a pic of it , definitely needs some more love and some spray paint but its okay for a first attempt

Name:	2012-11-18 21.04.44.jpg
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	2284972

this is a family shot

Name:	2012-11-18 21.04.28.jpg
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	2284973
                    View my worklog here

Comment

after some more love and spray paint:

Name:	2012-11-20 11.30.47.jpg
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	2284979

also fixed another issue , my new dash bezel had an extra hole for a start/stop button , my car doesnt have the option so I had to figure something out for that hole
                      I will connect that light to the mb power on led

Name:	2012-11-20 11.29.48.jpg
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	2284980
                      View my worklog here

Comment

Finally got my power supply so I started with the radio module

The radio module, rca out, antenna plug and rds chip are salvaged from a jvc kd-g332 car radio
                        the green power supply is there to supply the 8.5 volts needed to run the radio module , which needs both 8.5volts and 5 volts , the rds chip will need only 5 volts

I installed everything I could except the rds chip , its small and I need time to figure out how to connect it to the radio module using the piece of board its already installed on , which also has the crystal resistors and other stuff on it already.

I still need to order and install an arduino , right now we are using zanbee's arduino for testing purposes.

here are some pics:

Name:	2012-11-23 09.43.38.jpg
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	2284981

Name:	2012-11-23 09.43.53.jpg
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	2284982

on the software side of things, zanbee has the skin communicating with the plugin and the plugin communicates with the arduino , al we need is to finish this board and see if we can get the arduino to communicate with both rds chip and radio module

I can share specs on the radio module etc if there is demand on it (lots of different PDF files)

and as soon as the complete plugin is finished it will be released in RR as an official radio plugin.
                        View my worklog here

Comment

I have been working on my radio module , I put everything in a small plastic box and cut off excess board going to tie-in the rds chip today , which is going to get hard , the damn chip is smaller than my finger , and includes the necessary circuitry , I really want to save that because copying that will take a lot of time and makes it a lot bigger.

Name:	2012-11-26 08.05.11.jpg
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	2284985

after I get that rds chip on , next step will be connecting the arduino and finishing the remaining bits of the plugin.

the outgoing plug is to power my usb hub and the power module is underneath the print I made.

when the module is done all I have to connect is usb for the arduino , a molex connection provides the needed power , I have an antenna out and audio out.

the best part is that it will all fit nicely behind my screen
                          Last edited by eugenweij; 11-26-2012, 03:01 AM.
                          View my worklog here

Comment

Yay!! another update!

I finally got my touchcontroller, installed it and concluded it was working just fine.

So I decided it was time to start stuffing everything in my car despite the fact that the radio isnt done yet.

First let me explain about the radiomodule, I havent got a pic of the hardware in its finished state so I will come back to that in a later stage.

On the software side of things we have progressed quite a bit but we arent there yet.
                            We have the plugin side finished as far as we can tell right now, so right now we are in progress of programming the arduino, when thats done we can connect everything and see if we did the plugin correctly and tweak the rds part.

Now to the install:

Here is a pic of the black hole in my dash with some cables hanging out , in the back you'll see my 1st usb hub wich will remain hidden and has the gps,screen,wifi and 3g dongle attached:

Name:	2012-12-10 11.32.28.jpg
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	2285032

Here is where I put my PC , I am still debating on how I will attach it to the rail of the chair but you'll get the general idea, pic was taken with the chair in the most forward position ,I drive with the seat in the most backward position so the PC will be invisible from the outside and inside:

Name:	2012-12-10 11.34.46.jpg
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	2285033

Installed my gps receiver nicely:

Name:	2012-12-10 11.34.07.jpg
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	2285034

Thats it for today , I stopped working because the darness wasnt helping me out very much , tomorrow I will proceed with the rest
                            View my worklog here

Comment

Finished the install so far , here are some more pics:

the screen:

Name:	2012-12-12 10.19.54.jpg
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	2285036
                              Have to keep safety in mind , had it in the trunk for a while , might as well install it while I am busy:

Name:	2012-12-12 10.20.35.jpg
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	2285037

here is the connection to the battery I made:

Name:	2012-12-12 10.21.07.jpg
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	2285038

here is how my amp looks now connected and without sub attached:

Name:	2012-12-12 10.21.55.jpg
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	2285039

Here is my usb hub , didnt think one usb port would be enough so I added 4 more

Name:	2012-12-12 10.20.04.jpg
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	2285040

right now working on an issue with my touch , when I want to exit a screen I have to push a button bottom right of the screen , when I touch there the button above it reacts , tried calibrating to no avail.
                              If anyone knows what may be wrong , your welcome to tell me, the drivers are from hantouch and the utility is called touchmon.
                              View my worklog here

Comment

Working...
                              X