2012 Evo X Carputer Build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Evo X Carputer Build

I build computers often. I love my car. Put the two together, and you get carpoooooter!

First off, here is the love of my life 2012 Wicked White Evo X. Full bolt-ons, 35% all around tint (except windshield), blacked out headlights, smoked taillights.

Right now, I'm running an AppRadio 2 powered by a Galaxy S3 running ARLiberator (full HDMI mirroring with touchscreen input). It works decently.. some bugs here or there (HDMI output stops working after turning off and on the car/headunit, need to restart the phone). Meh sound quality. Got it for a good deal so whatever.

ANYWHOOO.. a few days ago, I decided to make the carputer plunge. Some specs:

CPU: Core i3 3225
    MOBO: Asrock Z77E-ITX
    RAM: 4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1 stick)
    Power Supply: mini-box M3-ATX (125W)
    Case: mini-box M350
    Storage: 120GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD
    Wireless: Intel 6235 802.11agn w/ Bluetooth 4.0
    Display: Lilliput 669GL w/HDMI
    GPS: Locosys LS20031 66 Channel 5Hz receiver
    Radio: Visteon HD Radio w/Mitch's USB cable
    Sound: Creative X-Fi Surround 5.1 (only if onboard audio sounds bad)
    DVD: MSI Slim External DVD+RW
    Accessories: IOGear Mediacard reader/USB Hub combo

I have everything ordered except the DVD drive, mediacard/USB hub, and external sound card. My goal is to install everything between this Thursday and Friday as I will be making a 250 mile drive to NY for the holidays on Saturday

Regarding my GPS choice: I looked into the wildly popular Globalsat BU-353-S4, but the 1Hz update rate kills it for me. Therefore, I decided to go the OEM route and pick up a bare Locosys LS20031 module. This module is capable of 66 channels, AGPS, up to 10Hz refresh rate (apparently 5Hz works best though), SBAS (WAAS, EGNOS, MSAS), built in battery to preserve satellite acquisition data, and an LED indicator for GPS Fix status.

This is a bare module that has contact pins on the bottom for serial communication. I'm planning to have a housing printed with a 3D printer and solder a USB-TTL cable to the contact pins to connect it to the computer.

More pictures and info to come!

Welcome to ther forum! Your ride looks awesome and you seem to have a good list of items. Good luck on getting everything up and running for your trip. For a quick and easy frontend you might give Drivelne a try. SNO

Comment

Thanks! I actually have the computer parts assembled together (minus the case) so I'm experimenting with the different front ends now. I was thinking about going with Ride Runner with the Elite skin

Comment

Got most of the parts in today! Just missing some long USB cables

Hooked up the LS20031 GPS module to a Sparkfun FTDI Basic serial to USB adapter and got a very sexy NMEA 5Hz stream. Sensitivity seems to be pretty good.. I live on the second floor of a six story apartment building and it had no problem pulling a signal indoors.

Took me about 2 hours to figure out how to enable 800x480. Ended up having to use DTDCalculator to write a custom timing profile. If anyone is interested, I used the following modeline: Modeline "800x480" 31.746 800 860 940 1000 480 508 511 525 -hsync -vsync

Tomorrow, I will install everything into the car and hopefully nothing goes wrong

Comment

Nice project

Do you have Rockford Fosgate on your car?
          What sound card did you choose?

Comment

I wanna know what's under the hood of this thing.

"Got Boost?"

Comment

Originally posted by croko View Post
              Nice project

Do you have Rockford Fosgate on your car?
              What sound card did you choose?
              Yea Rockford Fosgate. I'm just using the the onboard audio for now.. it's actually not bad. Sounds like the stock headunit. Might be a different story when i upgrade the amp and speakers though

Originally posted by ClockWorK View Post
              I wanna know what's under the hood of this thing.

"Got Boost?"
              Stock turbo and block. Upgraded upper and lower intercooler piping, Synchronic BOV, 3.5" intercooler, 3" intake, downpipe, high flow cat, titanium catback exhaust, 3 port boost solenoid

Pushing 302awhp/335awtq on a dyno dynamics (~350-360whp on dynojet)

Comment

Nice ride.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Comment

What's the best performance upgrade you've done? I've been thinking about an intercooler for my supercharged GTP for a long time..

Comment

What's the best performance upgrade you've done? I've been thinking about an intercooler for my supercharged GTP for a long time..
                    Single most useful upgrade: good tune

It's hard to say what would be the best upgrade for your specific car.. different designs respond differently to new parts. For example, on the Evo 8/9, changing the lower intercooler pipe made a huge difference whereas the upper intercooler pipe didn't do anything. The opposite is true for the X.

That said, you can intercool your GTP, but that might take some custom fabrication Don't superchargers sit directly ontop of the motor without any plumbing?

Comment

The intercooler for a supercharger goes between the supercharger and the top of the motor. There's a shop (ZZ Performance) kinda close to me that sells and installs intercoolers for my car. Just not sure if that's the first big mod I should do. They also do tunes. Once the intercooler is installed, smaller pulleys can be used on the supercharger to increase boost PSI.

Is the EVO your daily driver, or a toy? My GTP is my daily driver..

Comment

The intercooler for a supercharger goes between the supercharger and the top of the motor. There's a shop (ZZ Performance) kinda close to me that sells and installs intercoolers for my car. Just not sure if that's the first big mod I should do. They also do tunes. Once the intercooler is installed, smaller pulleys can be used on the supercharger to increase boost PSI.

Is the EVO your daily driver, or a toy? My GTP is my daily driver..
                        Daily driver.. that said, I usually don't touch her during the week.. public transportation ftw!

Comment

Sooooo, decided to part ways with my setup. Haven't used it nearly as much as I thought I would and could use the money elsewhere (namely on my upcoming turbo kit) Will be parting out or selling as a package once I have time to pull everything and take pictures!

Comment

Without trying to hijack this thread... If you want to upgrade your GTP you should come to Grand Rapids.. ZZ performance is a stones throw away from me and they build performance 3800 engine systems like you wouldn't believe. The only limit is your pocket book.. I have seen some of their work and they have produced the fastest GTP's in existence... (Assuming you are talking Grand Prix GTP)

Comment

Originally posted by redheadedrod View Post
                              Without trying to hijack this thread... If you want to upgrade your GTP you should come to Grand Rapids.. ZZ performance is a stones throw away from me and they build performance 3800 engine systems like you wouldn't believe. The only limit is your pocket book.. I have seen some of their work and they have produced the fastest GTP's in existence... (Assuming you are talking Grand Prix GTP)
                              Actually, I mentioned ZZPerformance a few posts up. I go to Grand Rapids once or twice a year, and I've thought about getting some mods done ever since I bought this car. Yes, it's a Grand Prix GTP. I just want to choose mods that aren't going to kill my car. I'm at 120,000 miles, and I'm on transmission # 2. My thoughts are a PCM / tune, intercooler, and a smaller pulley on the supercharger. But I'd like to keep my costs under $1000 (for now), so I probably can't get all that done. The car is already quick, so it's really just my e-peen that needs it to go faster.

I don't know if you're into tuning or performance mods, but I've spent the last year trying to figure out why my long-term fuel-trims were always -15 to -25. Finally yesterday I found a bad ground wire on the MAF sensor. Taped it up as a temporary fix, and my trims are right around zero now. Insanity.

Comment

Working...
                              X