Another Saturn Carputer in the works!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Saturn Carputer in the works!

Hi all... been getting a lot of ideas from these forums, decided it was time to go ahead and register since I'm about to take the plunge and start assembling my carputer shortly! My goal is to replace the receiver in my '92 Saturn SC[edited] completely (it's the stock double din CD player) with a touchscreen and slot-load DVD drive.

I'm juggling a few possibilities for the computer itself, but at this point I'm using a Dell Poweredge 350 1U form factor server (P3 850mhz, 512 MB RAM, 40gb HD for OS and programs, 80gb HD for media) with an Audigy 1 for sound. I'll be using it if I can speed up the boot, right now it takes forever in the POST stage, and I can't do anything to speed it up. I'm looking at an 8" lilliput, and looking *for* a USB 802.11G adapter that will allow me to attach a high gain antenna... anyone seen any of those out there? No luck here yet :-/ Anyway, just saying howdy, this is a great resource and I'll keep you abreast of my progress!

FYI, servers typically take longer to POST than a desktop computer because there's a lot more error-checing and system monitoring that needs to initialize.
    Some of it may be disable-able (?) in the BIOS.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert
      FYI, servers typically take longer to POST than a desktop computer because there's a lot more error-checing and system monitoring that needs to initialize.
      Some of it may be disable-able (?) in the BIOS.
      Yeah... I really want to be able to use this, since it'll be nice and flat in my trunk, but I've disabled everything I can find in the BIOS that might be slowing it down with no luck. I'll probably end up having to build a desktop PC (trying to use parts I have on hand).

Thanks for the tip. I'll probably be bidding it a fond farewell.

Comment

Nice choice of car. I had a 92 SC for years, and loved it

BTW, 92 was the first year of the SC, and it was released only as one model (no SC1, SC2, etc). All the 92's had the twin cam engine and the pop up headlamps. that car becme the SC2 in '93 as the SC1 was added... so there was no 1/2 designation untill later. Not being an ***, just thought it would be helpful
        Is this where the witty comment goes?
        97 Black pearl Mazda Miata MX-5 Carpc V2? maybee..

Comment

Originally posted by Stealth97
          Nice choice of car. I had a 92 SC for years, and loved it

BTW, 92 was the first year of the SC, and it was released only as one model (no SC1, SC2, etc). All the 92's had the twin cam engine and the pop up headlamps. that car becme the SC2 in '93 as the SC1 was added... so there was no 1/2 designation untill later. Not being an ***, just thought it would be helpful
          Thanks... I've actually been guessing this whole time, so I appreciate the enlightenment ;-) I love the car, 177k+ miles on it and counting.

Comment

Would like to see your set up when you're done. Just got an SC2 for my fiancee. There's no way I'm putting a car pc in it, but I'm just seeing what others have done.
            Progress Meter:

[|||||!||||'] 95% complete

It's in... it's finally installed!!!! But never finished!

"It works! It works! I've finally invented something that works!" -- Doctor Emmit Brown

Comment

Originally posted by funkchomper
              Thanks... I've actually been guessing this whole time, so I appreciate the enlightenment ;-) I love the car, 177k+ miles on it and counting.
              Yeah on my old saturn, the ODO stopped turning at 198k and ran great untill some F-150 smashed it with me in it. I wouldent mind finding another clean SC, SC2 or SW2 of similar vintage for a daily driver.

Comment

gotta throw in my 2 cents

That's a 7" lilliput that was in my 96 SC2
                And I have also had a 93 SC2 and a 94 SW2, I dont think you're going to get an 8" TS in there, much less that plus a DVD drive.

But hey, if you can fabricate, go for it man!
                Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
                Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
                I'M DEBT FREE!!
                I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

Originally posted by wizardPC
                  gotta throw in my 2 cents
                  That's a 7" lilliput that was in my 96 SC2
                  And I have also had a 93 SC2 and a 94 SW2, I dont think you're going to get an 8" TS in there, much less that plus a DVD drive.

But hey, if you can fabricate, go for it man!

That's a good clean install! I'm still working on how I want to mount the TS, whether to go for the stock look like that (which would require a 7") or mount the base back inside that double din slot and allow the screen to sit about a half inch beyond the opening so I can swivel it (which would allow the 8"). Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Stealth97
                    Yeah on my old saturn, the ODO stopped turning at 198k and ran great untill some F-150 smashed it with me in it. I wouldent mind finding another clean SC, SC2 or SW2 of similar vintage for a daily driver.

As a matter of fact, my ODO just stopped turning! Actually, I don't know when it stopped... I think I remember it being at 177k last Thanksgiving....

Comment

I wonder is someone could clear this up for me. Is this a double din sized radio? I know I've got about a 7 inch diagonal happening there...
                      Attached Files

Comment

looks about 1 1/2 din to me. What are the width and height?
                        "A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking."

Comment

It's 7.5" by 3.25" ... turns out it's an 8 inch diagonal.

Comment

wow, that brings back memories. It is a din and a half. You will be lucky to get a 7" in there. and the a/c controls are cable operated, wont be easy to move those, either.

Your best bet is to ditch the radio, and the vents, they pop out easy.

Comment

Hehehe, Saturn powah!
                              Welcome to the forums!
                              Here are my 2 cents:
                              00 Saturn SL2, boosted @ 8 psi - CarDomain
                              Newest install - my quickest ever
                              My 2nd carputer - b4 I broke the touchscreen
                              My very first carputer - voted the most ghetto

Comment

Working...
                              X