No announcement yet.

1984 Volkswagen Jetta [FIN] +images...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1984 Volkswagen Jetta [FIN] +images...

Hi, I am driving a 1984 VW Jetta 1.6, YES REALLY 1984!
    Its a year older than me but this is almost normal in finland..

The first setup was in late summer of 2004, when my friend told me he was thinking of installing a computer in his car for engine control, thats when it hit me: I could use computer to play MP3, DVD, DivX etc..
    HE IS STILL JUST TALKING ABOUT INSTALLATION, never happens

So I went to local electronic store to ask for DC-DC power supplies.
    The answer was: "Why wont you use an inverter?" and so i bought 350W inverter for 40euros (that time about USD45). now the same inverter costs 80EUR in the same store, it was on sale

THE HARDWARE 2004:
    -My home pc on the floor behind passengers seat. Just put it there
    ([email protected],1Gt RAM,160Gt HDD,GF3Ti200,CD-RW/DVD combo..)

-Sharp QA-1650 pc projektion panel (10" 640x480 for overhead use..)
    I used 2x 30cm CCFL white tubes for backlight and A4 size white cardboard taped behind the screen to make the backround for the screen.

-Philips wireless infrared (small, no keypad) keyboard.
    -Logitech Mouseman Wheel, this was also used when the PC was at home.

Pictures of SETUP 1:

1st setup was removed on january 5th because i had to go to military on 10th

Why bother using that panel? ->IT WAS FREE, and it works!
    Why didnt I mold the panel into dash? ->I use it at home too, like this:

SOUND SYSTEM:
    -RTO GX9004 4x225w Amp.
    used 450w for RTO WX800 sub. 2x225w for [email protected]
    Remote power came from CD-player in the picture, so it had to be on alltime.

CURRENT SETUP: even worse!
    -HP Vectra VE desktop PC, 466MHz celeron, 256Mt RAM, 40Gt HDD, CD-rom, onboard VGA+AUDIO. PC is located where co-driver keeps his/her feets,
    Floor raised about 15Cm because of the pc, it is under the "rubbermat"..
    - The display has not changed a bit! but it will be...

This setup is just because I am in military until 8.7.2005 and i havent got enough time to do anything better yet.

I just managed to get another dashboard yesterday from my friend.
    This will be used for molding the new screen described below:

[TOBEDONE]

PARTSLIST:
    -12.1" TOUCHSCREEN TFT tested with carpc, molding this baby in the dash
    -52x32x52x/16x CD-RW/DVD-combo. NEW from shop 20EUR.
    ~160Gig USB2 external HDD, for media, also @home use. no money for it now..

THIS IS NOT FOR GAMES !!! (atleast not yet) so the vectra setup will do, but i will put a new soundcard to reduce noise..

THE DESIGN:
    -TFT molded indash (as in the picture, designed with PSP8 in 15minutes )
    -The center console will hold the AC controls below screen, not seen in pic.
    -The airvent locations are yet open, ideas, those I have...
    -Computer will be at the center console, but i think i will build the screen,
    and then at first, just put the pc in the glove department.
    Just to get a feeling how the system works, if it works fine, then i will propably just leave it there, why move it if it will look fine?
    -I will put the cd/dvd combo in the center console anyway, normal 90cm ide cable will be enough, distance is about 60-70cm..

PSP8 Designing area:

That is just about everything is described above. More and more after the display will arrive next week, i am on holiday from military for a week startin next thursday so ill propably be doing this a few days then.

The project is really going to take all of my free time after 8.7.05 when my military service ends..
    Attached Files
    MY CARPC STATUS:
    [いいいい] -I started again from nothing.

CURRENTLY: 12" Touchcreen indash, CD-RW/DVD in center console, PC=AXp1700+,256Mb,60Gb.
    BUILDING: CAR INTERIOR+TRUNK
    CARPC Price: 270EUR

I think we got a contender for the ghetto carpc competition here... you're probably up for a macgyver award too, for the simple fact that your car lcd doubles as a home projector.

I love it!

Comment

the image is tj!2k4's, but I'm sure he will agree that your install is worthy
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bodgy
        I think we got a contender for the ghetto carpc competition here... you're probably up for a macgyver award too, for the simple fact that your car lcd doubles as a home projector.

I love it!
        Whoa! Thanks!

MacGyver AWARD, Thats SWEET !!

last autumn i used the CARPC:: 1. At HOME, 2. in CAR AND, 3. IN LAN PARTIES !!!
        the screen is still used also at home. It was kinda easy to get the pc in lan parties because it was usually already in the car.
        MY CARPC STATUS:

CURRENTLY: 12" Touchcreen indash, CD-RW/DVD in center console, PC=AXp1700+,256Mb,60Gb.

Comment

I took the computer case to my friend and we cut off about 40% in size,
          this will make it small enough so it fills only half of the floorspace from co-drivers seat.

Cut to final size, (this is not the final casing though).
          Case is measurin approx. 15cm high, 90% of seat width and 20cm long so you will place you feet over the case and beyond.. making it possible for co-driver to sit comfortably..

At the current state of my project, i sure think its kind of a ghetto carpc
          like the car, it's 21years old and driven over 450 000Km ! ! ! (engine changed, new meters..)

I could byu a better car, but i just love this car, had it for 2,5years, my first..
          MY CARPC STATUS:

Comment

!!! By the way, at current state I have spent only 48EUROS into my CARPC !!!
            +amplifier was allready there befor i started to even think about carpc, only inverter has really cost me the 40EUR and the cd-rom cost 8Euros, pc was free and so was the panel !
            MY CARPC STATUS:

Comment

48EUROS is a pretty sweet price. I am trying to keep my Carputer pretty cheap too. Thats why I never bought a nice EPIA system. Plus wheres the fun in that. Its harder to hide a bigger system

Comment

Here is the current state of the project: CarPC case is cut to final size.

Allthought I will propable mount it in the glovebox or center console someday,
                but before that, this case will do and it is located where co-driver keeps his/her feet.

Front view of the case:

Top view:

The power close to ram.. cannot change RAM unless power is taken off, literally!
                Isnside look:

The power is quite close to the RAM and CPU cooler, but it is actually a good this because this power blows from out to inside, so it keeps the CPU cooler..

Here is the dashboard nro2. other one is in the car, so if i mess up the install, I still have a standard dash. the hole for the screen is going to be where i have drawn a blue rectangular-like shape

DASH view:
                Attached Files
                MY CARPC STATUS:

Comment

Wish we had Jetta's in the UK - I think they are mint cars and loads of people have done installs in them so I would have loads of ideas.

But being original is cool 2 like SniperXX said - why would you want an expensive EPIA system when you can mod a full size tower

That's why I bought an old mini - think I'm the only one on this msg board who is attempting my install!

Keep up the good work anyhoo AMD and keep us updated....
                  My '84 Austin Mini Carputer Project : http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=541067

Comment

!!! Status Update !!!

Today i had my old dash in my car and about 14hours of work with help of my friend Ilkka, and here is picture of the result:

The screen will have a nice black surrounding later, maybe tomorrow...

And also pictures of the screen install will come later, but as you can see, I have made huge progress!

Everything works as it should !!!
                    Attached Files
                    MY CARPC STATUS:

Comment

Out of curiosity, how is that projection panel working out? How is the visibility with that ghetto-fabulous backlight ? I'm trying to build my carPC on a budget and I am looking into this option for a screen.

Comment

That latest screen install is pretty nice. Actually size of that is pretty insane .

Yes, these older wehicles are pretty common in Finland. I got this -86 volvo 740 turbodiesel and i already got toshiba's laptop in dash (suprisingly the mounting is pretty nice because of the size of the laptop) and im gonna put some lcd:s and stuff later on...

AMDjetta: you should prolly spec my project when i get that worklog started . Keep up the good work!

Ps: Vanhassa bemarissani oli samanlaine ratinp粐line

Comment

Originally posted by Jamiks
                          Ps: Vanhassa bemarissani oli samanlaine ratinp粐line
                          Onhan tuokin kiva mutta,

The Wheel has now been changed into a "RACING" Wheel with VW logo in the center center console has been built, AIRFLOW controls working in there cd-RW/DVD combo in center console also working

EVERYTHING WORKS ! ! !

just waiting for money to get WLAN and more power to PC !!!

pictures will be coming soon check out later!
                          MY CARPC STATUS:

Comment

Originally posted by the thomas
                            Out of curiosity, how is that projection panel working out? How is the visibility with that ghetto-fabulous backlight ? I'm trying to build my carPC on a budget and I am looking into this option for a screen.
                            It was quite allright at night but in bright daylight it was kind of a pain to see anything..

This new screen can be viewed even in direct sunlight!
                            MY CARPC STATUS:

Comment

Originally posted by AMDJetta
                              The Wheel has now been changed into a "RACING" Wheel with VW logo in the center
                              Oooh mama hightech!
                              Originally posted by AMDJetta
                              just waiting for money to get WLAN
                              What kind of Wlan stuff are you looking for? I might got something cheap enough for you in my arsenal

Ps. I got usb-wlan dongle in my laptop and i can move files from my home network without any problems (there's lot's of stuff and distance between our parking spot and accesspoint).

Comment

Working...
                              X