1988 Toyota Land Cruiser

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 Toyota Land Cruiser

Just recieved parts to start of my project today.

Already Had:
    10" Touch Screen Display
    Mini Keyboard and Mouse Combo
    12v and 5v DC-DC Power Supplies (Probably for testing only at this point)

Just Recieved:
    AMD AthlonXP-M 2200+
    512MB Ram
    Slimline DVD
    20Gig 2.5" Laptop HD
    DVD adpator
    HD Adaptor

The plan is to bench test for a while running XP Pro, and testing front ends until I can figure out how I want to mount everything. My goal is a glorified MP3 Player and DVD player for traveling, as well as integrating GPS later.

One pic of the vehicle for now. More to come as I build

Josh
    Attached Files
    Joshua Jones - New Folk Singer Songwriter & Web Site Design (Yep, that's what it says)
    Plans:
    Micro ATX MB, 1.6 Ghz AMD AthlonXP-M, 512MB RAM, 20G 2.5" HD, Thinline DVD, 10" Touchscreen Display (Front)
    Web Log

thats exactly the stage and goals i have this moment

just going for mp3 now and GPS later

i'm gonna be running an old athlon 1.3 on a flexATX board (the ful ATX i was gonna use won't fit)
    My install... check it out!

www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56599

Comment

I used to have an '87... loved it. Have fun with the install. What are your plans for location of the MB? In the console or under the dash?
      TruckinMP3
      D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Still thinking on that one.
        I have though about creating a customer middle console for the install. Maybe even put in armrests (I hate the fact is has none). Right now, those are just plans in my head as I get the system, up and running.
        Joshua Jones - New Folk Singer Songwriter & Web Site Design (Yep, that's what it says)
        Plans:
        Micro ATX MB, 1.6 Ghz AMD AthlonXP-M, 512MB RAM, 20G 2.5" HD, Thinline DVD, 10" Touchscreen Display (Front)
        Web Log

Comment

I bet you could fit a bunch of stuff under the seat as well
          TruckinMP3
          D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Probably, It will not be a wheeler so I do not have to worry much about water getting in. So the floor is a viable option.

Very excited to hopfully start on Monday, when my new MB arrives.
            Plans:
            Web Log

Comment

Well everything came in last night and had the system up and running in about 45 minutes. Loaded XP Pro on, and started playing.

It appears as though I have made a newbie mistake and did not match up my mobo and XP-M processor very well. This board does not allow me to modify the mulitplier, and it only allows me to change the FSB value to anything under 200 (using it's utility program). So the chip is running at 600Mhz (6X100) I can up it to 6x133 to get me around 798Mhz, but I would like to get it running in the 1Ghz area.

After searching around (like I should have done before) it appears the BioStar boards have had a lot of success with the Mobile AMD chips so I am going to give that route a shot.

Oh well, roam was not built in a day. So, I guess my Car PC will not be either.

On the plus side. The adaptors for the Slimline DVD and 2.5" drive worked flawlessly. Everything recognized right off the bat, no issues that way at all.
              Plans:
              Web Log

Comment

It happens to the best of us.

Will be checking back for updates in the future.
                Zen Fat Loss

Comment

Originally posted by homchz
                  Well everything came in last night and had the system up and running in about 45 minutes. Loaded XP Pro on, and started playing.

It appears as though I have made a newbie mistake and did not match up my mobo and XP-M processor very well. This board does not allow me to modify the mulitplier, and it only allows me to change the FSB value to anything under 200 (using it's utility program). So the chip is running at 600Mhz (6X100) I can up it to 6x133 to get me around 798Mhz, but I would like to get it running in the 1Ghz area.

After searching around (like I should have done before) it appears the BioStar boards have had a lot of success with the Mobile AMD chips so I am going to give that route a shot.

Oh well, roam was not built in a day. So, I guess my Car PC will not be either.

On the plus side. The adaptors for the Slimline DVD and 2.5" drive worked flawlessly. Everything recognized right off the bat, no issues that way at all.
                  Or Rome even

is it in a custom case, more pictures?
                  2007 Honda Fit Sport 1.5L SOHC-VTEC

Comment

Originally posted by binary.h4x
                    Or Rome even

is it in a custom case, more pictures?
                    Rome, Roam. Potatoe, Pota... oh well I guess that does not work

No custom case yet, it is in a salvaged case right now. I will get pics as soon as it is pic worth. Hopefully I will get it clocked and working thursday night.

I am thinking of mounting under the driver or passenger seat on rack rails that will pull out for easy removal and install. Basically a rack shelf mounted to the seat legs that the case will mount too.
                    Plans:
                    Web Log

Comment

Success. Boy the right board makes all the difference.

After about 10 mins installing it booted right up. Made a few BIOS changes, Loaded in the XP Pro Disc and away we went intsalling. After all is said and done, the BIOSTAR board reccognized the Mobile AMD right of thebat and clocked it at 1.2 Ghz, on boot. Not sure if I want to underclock it bring it up to 1.6 or leave it alone. But is is good for now.

Here are a few pics of my testing set up.

Just updating XP for USB 2.0 and then I will be testing out a few things.

Very good day today.
                      Attached Files
                      Plans:
                      Web Log

Comment

Can you get us more info on your monitor? Specs, price, where you got it, etc? That would be cool because it looks pretty neat and I need a monitor now

Comment

Gvision Model J1ps

List price is around $400 or so. I got mine off of Ebay Used. Pretty Cheap

http://www.baber.com/monitors/gvision_j1ps.htm
                          Plans:
                          Web Log

Comment

So I have been pondering the install of the computer now I have everything running.

The Land Cruiser has plenty of available space as you can see in this pic

My issue is that most of this space is unusable for the computer due to the fact I want to use the rig for camping and the back for storing stuff and sleeping. I thought about building and mounting a small box on one of the rear side panels, but want to stay awau from long data cables. I want driver and passenger accessability to the DVD drive and that would be hard back past the 2nd doors.

Not to mention the left side:

hosts my jack set and rear windshield wiper fluid.

and the right side:

Looks perfect for a sub box (I am thinking of also building boxes to aim the rear speakers towards passengers and not just into the blank space of the rear cabin).

Next thought is under the front seat:

even though the pic is a little low, there is not much room under there for a boxed Micro ATX Board (and still DVD access would be a bit difficult for passengers while moving).

From the driver's seat I look to my right and I see it:

This console is abit too small right now, but I think I can fab up a new custom console that might be tall enough to get the DVD drive above the folded rear seat, and maybe act a a decent arm rest utilizing the stock cover for access. This may eliminate my need for a box at all, and I will just have to mount a few external fans to keep things cooler in there.

The glove box is a too small , and the there is very little room under the dash for anything either. A Mini ITX would have been ideal for this but it is time to work with what I have. I think the console is the best bet.
                            Plans:
                            Web Log

Comment

Have not had alot of time to work on the cruiserputer, but today I got the Mobo our of the testing box and on to a plexi bottom. Nothing much exciting, but I figure I would post a few images just to keep current.

I just ordered a 150W Opus, so I can finish the mouting when it arrives. Plans are still on for a custom console, but I think having a plexi base will make mounting much easier.

Have to figure out the ground. Right now I have a shaky screen since I moved it out of a metal box and onto the plexi, but I am not sure if the board needs grounding or not.

More updates as they warrant.

Josh
                              Attached Files
                              Plans:
                              Web Log

Comment

Working...
                              X