imac in '93 dodge ram 150

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• imac in '93 dodge ram 150

heres the deal, im going to be receiving an imac (dont know which revision, but its one of the tray loaders)

and it is going into my 1993 Dodge ram 150 fullsize pickup truck.

i currently have a pioneer head unit in there with audiobahn 6x9 speakers in the doors. i will be looking for a standalone amp and a subwoofer so i can ditch the head unit all together (never listen to the radio, it sucks) it doesnt have an aux in.

any suggestions for a touch screen? i need something fairly inexpensive but good enough. appearance isnt an issue for me, as long as it works.

thanks a lot folks.

simon

Check in the "show off your projects" forum for Ford F150's and see what they've used.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

but i have a dodge...

Comment

He must have misread, What he means is to try and get ideas off other similar trucks. Imo Id take a dodge over a ford anytime(actually Id never buy a ford!).

Comment

Originally posted by kevinlekiller
          He must have misread, What he means is to try and get ideas off other similar trucks. Imo Id take a dodge over a ford anytime(actually Id never buy a ford!).
          What you said. Look at what others have used in their Fords and get some ideas.

Or check out the FAQ Emporium and read up on display in the FAQ to the FAQ's.
          Originally posted by ghettocruzer
          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
          Want to:
          -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
          -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

yeh same.

its hard to find anything on my truck online. was a pretty obscure model.

from what ive seen, lilliput is probably the best bet for a screen?

im going to have to make everything somewhat temporary because im going to be selling the truck in a year or two and i want to be able to transfer everything over to the new car . so no custom moulding or anything.

Comment

If its a doge, then wouldn't it be a 1500 instead of a 150... I was confused with bugbyte as well... either way, f150, ram 1500. They're both similar.

2006 Mazda 3
              Behringer DCX-2496
              JL300/4 Focal 6W4311B Focal TN52
              JL500/1 JL10w6v2

Comment

actually, no it is 150. its a redesign of the 1970s power ram trucks

regardless, i think i know what ill be doing.

Comment

i think i found a screen.
                  is it any good? i cant figure out if its mac compatible.

Comment

If you're going to put a Mac carputer into your vehicle, why go with an old iMac? The mac mini's are perfect and start at aroudn $500. Additionally you can get a DC-DC connector for them seen here which are about $100. I dunno, I work on Macs for a living and I know those old iMac tray loaders have a very strangely shaped board. Plus the logic boad plugs directly into a power/analog/video board which connects to the CRT so you'll need to be pretty savvy with electronics to pull it off.

Comment

Originally posted by DuffmanAK
                      If you're going to put a Mac carputer into your vehicle, why go with an old iMac? The mac mini's are perfect and start at aroudn $500. Additionally you can get a DC-DC connector for them seen here which are about $100. I dunno, I work on Macs for a living and I know those old iMac tray loaders have a very strangely shaped board. Plus the logic boad plugs directly into a power/analog/video board which connects to the CRT so you'll need to be pretty savvy with electronics to pull it off.
                      why go with an old imac?
                      the imac is free

its has a very small motherboard, the power supply is seperated from the crt power. ive had em apart, i know em inside and out.

and im plenty savvy with electronics. if i had the money for a mac mini, i'd be done with this project by now. i'd have bought a nice screen and an amp by now.

Comment

Originally posted by simon_C
                        why go with an old imac?
                        the imac is free

Hahah good point. Well anywho as for displays, I'm fairly certain long as it's VGA it's "mac compatible" the problem is jsut getting them to connect properly, unless you have one of those iMac boards with the VGA coinnector in it. In which case you're golden.

Comment

the imac trayloaders were pretty botched together. the monitor connected to the motherboard with a 15pin mac-vga connector. the screens were actually cannibalised from overstocked beige mac monitors, cable and all lol...

should be easy to connect to a vga monitor.

Comment

alright.

heres what my dashboard looks as i have it now:

here is what im aiming for:

whatcha think?

Comment

ok this is really a pain.
                              i need to put my project on hiatus for a little while until i find a job (im only 16). i had saved up some money for this project, but my ipod just died and my warrenty had run out last december. its gonna cost me a good chuck of what i had saved up to get it replaced. so, ill let you people know when i get back on track for this thing. ill still be poking around here and helping out with stuff if people need it.

simon

Comment

Working...
                              X