Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 Ford Ranger

Heres the beginning stage of my install:

I'm using a 14" proview lcd monitor. I originally thought it was way too big and was going to try and sell it, but i decided to take it out of the plastic casing and just turn it sideways.

driver side view

front view

Lemme know what you think. The center console does block a small portion of the lower part of the screen, but it still is partly viewable. I'm thinking of either leaving it, or moving the center console back abit.

Any opinions on my project?
    Take 2 - '03 Audi A4
    macmini with an 8" widescreen (in progress)

My 2004 Ford Ranger:
    14" LCD w/ custom made aluminum bezel
    Completly custom computer case

Where is the rest of it?
    2005 Black Chevy Impala
    Current Status: Installed in Vehicle/Testing 75%

Comment

Originally posted by Shelbrain
      Where is the rest of it?

What do you mean? nothing else is in the truck yet, so theres nothing to take picturess of.

Though, by the end of this week i should have the comp in (i still gotta make a case and then put the computer together).

I just started on this whole project at the beginning of this week...and with work and other stuff, i dont have much time to work on it everyday.

Any opinions on just the monitor though? Too big? Looks good?....anything???
      Take 2 - '03 Audi A4

My 2004 Ford Ranger:

Comment

Are you planning on mounting it or making an enclosure? The way it is sitting seems to be covered partialy by the floor console. I realize that you have not put anything else in the car yet, but that is a very big screen and I would hate to see it damaged if it is not mounted in an enclosure or something.
        God made me the geek I am, the freak part came from watching RHPS too many times and drinking Re-Animator fuid at Con's too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Doshen
          Are you planning on mounting it or making an enclosure? The way it is sitting seems to be covered partialy by the floor console. I realize that you have not put anything else in the car yet, but that is a very big screen and I would hate to see it damaged if it is not mounted in an enclosure or something.

Yeah, I'm definitly going to be fiberglassing around the screen (so you can't see behind it..which is also where i'm going to be mounting the controllers for the screen). It is mounted and very secure with the mounting brakets i made for it (picture attaced).

I also plan on putting some kind of cover over the screen. So if someone were to glance in the truck, they wouldnt see a big screen..just a void space, and it won't be as noticeable. Also, it will protect the screen when not in use.

That is the mount i made. If you look closely u can see the 2 pieces of steel going up the back of the monitor. Those 2 pieces are also screwed down to the floor.
          Take 2 - '03 Audi A4

My 2004 Ford Ranger:

Comment

Just another update - i fisnished making the case for the computer. Next i have to bondo it to get the dents out and cover up the welds, drill holes for the motherboard standoffs/fans/etc.

When the case is done, it'll be mounted between the 2 rear jump seats in the back part of the cab (where the jack is located). I'm thinking of putting 2 red lights in there too.

top view

side view
            Take 2 - '03 Audi A4

My 2004 Ford Ranger:

Comment

nobody likes my project so far, huh?
              Take 2 - '03 Audi A4

My 2004 Ford Ranger:

Comment

i like the case and the screen has some potential as well ive got lots of room in my center console what are the dimensions width wise after its turned like that

looks like an open frame model is it
                .______
                | '_ |__\___
                [(o)|___(o)] XB
                ._________
                | I__I I_I|_\__I
                [(o)______(o)]b VanPimpin'

LostReceptions Apps D/L Here

GPSGasoline- Rewriting

Draw- SkribblePad for Touchscreens

iGQwerty-iG3.0 Qwerty Keyboard

CarPCNetwork

Comment

nm i ed and found the specs (i think) but the monitor i found wasnt as slim as yours it looked larger
                  .______
                  | '_ |__\___
                  [(o)|___(o)] XB
                  ._________
                  | I__I I_I|_\__I

GPSGasoline- Rewriting

CarPCNetwork

Comment

I like to case as well, nice work on the art. With the size screen you have are you going to be looking into using the whole screen for the main front end app or separating it into two front ends for more information. I saw some talk on this forum about trying to get two front ends or apps to come up in the same position each time.
                    God made me the geek I am, the freak part came from watching RHPS too many times and drinking Re-Animator fuid at Con's too much.

Comment

Originally posted by lostreception
                      nm i ed and found the specs (i think) but the monitor i found wasnt as slim as yours it looked larger

heres the monitor i bought:
                      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...s=pc&n=1068288
                      (i bought mine from newegg for $150)

I bought the full monitor with the casing and everything. I just took the casing off to save space (i didnt need the trim on the sides, or the speakers)

You said you found the dimensions and everything..but just to give you an idea of what i have:
                      Take 2 - '03 Audi A4

My 2004 Ford Ranger:

Comment

This shows how much floor space the monitor takes up with the angel it's mounted at (5.5")

Height (12") and width (9") (measurments include the metal trim around the screen)

(sorry i had to post it in 2 posts...i've tried about 5 times to post this and it keeps hanging)
                        Take 2 - '03 Audi A4

My 2004 Ford Ranger:

Comment

Originally posted by Doshen
                          I like to case as well, nice work on the art. With the size screen you have are you going to be looking into using the whole screen for the main front end app or separating it into two front ends for more information. I saw some talk on this forum about trying to get two front ends or apps to come up in the same position each time.

I'm not too sure what i'm going to do with the screen. Being that the bottom of the screen is blocked alittle bit, i'm thinking of just either using the whole screen for everything and not dividing it at all, or using just the top portion of the screen for the front end as well as gps and other info, and maybe the bottom portion for movies and such.

I'm also thinking of trying to move the center console back a bit, to make the bottom more viewable. Though, it's not blocked that much..
                          Take 2 - '03 Audi A4

My 2004 Ford Ranger:

Comment

how is the brightness and glare on it let me know once you have it installed.
                            did you just get lucky with this 14' lcd or do they all typically come out of the casing that clean
                            .______
                            | '_ |__\___
                            [(o)|___(o)] XB
                            ._________
                            | I__I I_I|_\__I

GPSGasoline- Rewriting

CarPCNetwork

Comment

Originally posted by lostreception
                              how is the brightness and glare on it let me know once you have it installed.
                              did you just get lucky with this 14' lcd or do they all typically come out of the casing that clean
                              i've tried the screen plugged in in my driveway (but the screen wasn't rotated) and it seemed plenty bright in the daytime sun. Though, there was shade covering parts of the screen..but i tried to get it in direct sun to see if it was viewable during the day. From that breif test, i thought it'll work out fine in the sun. I'm not too sure how else to describe the brightness of the screen..it's not dimly lit, but it's not too bright either. I think it'll work out fine for me.

As for glare, it's not reflective or anything like that. It doesnt seem like the sun is going to make the screen not viewable during the day. And the way i have it sitting right now, the driver and passenger can both view the screen fine (but i looked at this when the screen was sitting normal, not rotated the way i have it now)

Being that i don't have the computer in i can't really give you an accurate description of how the screen is. Hopefully what i typed gives you some idea though.

This is the first LCD screen i've ever taken apart, so i'm not too sure about others. But this one was real nice in that after the casing was taken off (a few screws and plastic clips), there were 2 seperate parts, the actual screen, and the controller and power boards. The boards were already in a metal enclosure, which i'm still going to be able to use.
                              Take 2 - '03 Audi A4

My 2004 Ford Ranger:

Comment

Working...
                              X