No announcement yet.

1997 Audi A8 Ibm Thinkpad T30 install..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 Audi A8 Ibm Thinkpad T30 install..

This is a complete revision of my Car computer.. the original design has a commell LV670 board behind the dash and i decided to go the Laptop route.

This new system is running the following hardware and is 100% funcitonal with the exception of the shutdowncontroller auto powering the on/off of the laptop.

Equipment:
    Ibm T30 laptop with 40gb hdd
    Xenarc 700TSV mounted in Double din sized dash
    Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Zs Notebook
    XMPCR with toslink
    Holux Gm-210 usb gps
    2x Belkin Tetra hubs (1 in the front and 1 in rear)
    1 playstation 2 mini keyboard
    Belkin usb bluetooth
    Jeff Muchas shutdown controller
    Shuttle Express a MUST HAVE!
    X10 Remote
    Buffalo USB 802.11g wireless usb

Sound:
    Earthquake PHD3 amplifier for Pioneer TSW5000SPL subs in sealed enclosure
    Alpine MRV-F540 amplifier for 4 Morel 4 inch mid bass speakers and 4 Pioneer ODR series Tweaters

Power:
    2x Hawker Odyssey PC1700 batteries 1 for normal use / 1 for extended cpu usage when car is off
    Dual rectifier CS144 275 amp alternator

Software:
    Iguidance 2.0
    Mediaengine
    Windows XP
    -Jack
    2006 Chrysler 300C AWD
    Samsung Galaxy Tab In dash

Pictures
    Attached Files
    -Jack
    2006 Chrysler 300C AWD

Comment

Ever since i installed XP SP2 update my bluetooth will not work.. microshaft insists on using their software which does not support anything.. looks like its back to the drawring board
      -Jack
      2006 Chrysler 300C AWD

Comment

More pictures

Notice the reverse camera mounted in my taillight! Great camera with wide angle viewing... ebay special..
        Attached Files
        -Jack
        2006 Chrysler 300C AWD

Comment

Timing...

To eliminate pops form the amplifiers i ended up gettin a tiem delay relay that will delay power on for 45 seconds. This helped greatly the computer is just about ready to play when they kick on.

The shutdown controller is set up to turn all power off after 1 minute from powerdown.

Powerdown should be quick since i disabled the swap file in xp due to the 1gig of ram the laptop has. IT has helped greatly.
          -Jack
          2006 Chrysler 300C AWD

Comment

How did you install that backup-cam? You cut a hole in your backup light?
            My install log
            My "selling entire system" thread

Comment

Originally posted by Hark
              How did you install that backup-cam? You cut a hole in your backup light?
              The A8 has a release lock there, he probably just removed it, and installed it there.

Man, you have one of my dreamcars. Will you be coming to the meet? I'd like to check it out... Nice job done... Props!

Comment

Got any pics of the T30 mounted? Did you change the bulbs that light up the footwells to red, or did it come that way?
                My install log
                My "selling entire system" thread

Comment

Originally posted by BoyNextDoor
                  The A8 has a release lock there, he probably just removed it, and installed it there.

Man, you have one of my dreamcars. Will you be coming to the meet? I'd like to check it out... Nice job done... Props!

Actually i drilled a 1 inch hole in the driver side taillight. The trunk lock is actually on the pass side. I wanted to make it even.

Give me details on the gtg id love to go if i can make it.
                  -Jack
                  2006 Chrysler 300C AWD

Comment

Originally posted by Hark
                    Got any pics of the T30 mounted? Did you change the bulbs that light up the footwells to red, or did it come that way?
                    Ill get more pics this weekend. However the red color is from a set of 4 6 inch neon tubes in each footwell front and back.
                    -Jack
                    2006 Chrysler 300C AWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kamakazie2
                      Ill get more pics this weekend. However the red color is from a set of 4 6 inch neon tubes in each footwell front and back.
                      here ya go.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55034

Aug 28 Sunday Noon to whenever @ Corona Park in Queens... Read n, and come. I'm looking forward to it...

Comment

I looked at the commell but decided to go laptop too... nice install I see you have a second battery for extended pc use... how long can you "keep it up" on that battery in standby & just low power on?
                        MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Originally posted by turbocad6
                          I looked at the commell but decided to go laptop too... nice install I see you have a second battery for extended pc use... how long can you "keep it up" on that battery in standby & just low power on?
                          The Hawker Oddysey 1700 series battery is no joke. i accidentally left my headlights on overnight and it started right up..

I have yet to test the length of time.. my max was 4 hours while i was downloading mp3's and remoting in for initial set up.. voltage was still over 12

The Commell was a very nice board. i loved it. However i liked the laptop idea better so i sold it to a friend.
                          -Jack
                          2006 Chrysler 300C AWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kamakazie2
                            Ever since i installed XP SP2 update my bluetooth will not work.. microshaft insists on using their software which does not support anything.. looks like its back to the drawring board

There is an easy fix, or at least should be an easy fix.

You should try going to the Device Manager, and manually choosing the driver you want to use.

If you search on this board for WIDCOM, you will find what is probably the best bluetooth driver (just my opinion, but I may be wrong), but in the least, you can use the directions in that thread because it deals with Windows forcing it's own driver.

Michael
                            ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Auto power on/off FIXED! SHES FULLY AUTOMATIC BABY!!!

I think i am using the wrong 2 wires off my docking station for power when the shutdown controller shorts them to ground. If i short the wires together they turn off and on the laptop. If i put them to ground they do nothing. Neither one. So i decided to use a small relay on the laptop switch part. The 12v goes to the relay and then the trigger part goes to the motherboard switch part. Now the relay clicks for 1 second on and off and shorts the 2 laptop wires together.. Not a solution but a work around for now.
                              -Jack
                              2006 Chrysler 300C AWD

Comment

Working...
                              X