1987 Mustang GT Convertible MP3 Mustang

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987 Mustang GT Convertible MP3 Mustang

This project has taken way to long and still isn't complete, so I thought I'd post a worklog to help me get remotivated.

Car: 1987 Mustang GT Convertible
    Current engine/trans combo: 5.0l Stock bottom end, TFS Twisted Wedge Heads - Ported, E303 Cam, 1.6 Roller Rockers, GT-40 Intake, 70mm Throttle Body, Paxton 8lb Blower, NOS 5115 150 HP Kit, Stock Trans & 2.73 Rear Gears
    Next Year's combo: 67mm Single Turbo (own), 331 Stroker Motor (being built)

Here's some of the progress I've made and problems encountered...

I've been buying parts for this install for many years - started with a DennisK kit that never made it to the car. Since then, I've gone with a Sharp LQ10D367 10.4" panel, a Datalux (still have on my desk) to my AllBrite setup.
    Stage 1:
    Here's the start of the gutting process:

took a couple of pieces off

looks like a 10.4 would fit right in there.

made a template of the screen size to decide where this thing should go.

Looks like I'm turning this thing into a reco-theft

The screen fits right in that old vent area...It gave me an idea to just gut the area behind the OEM dash area and slip an LCD 'sandwich' back there, create a decent looking bezel and viola, done. Well, one thing led to another...
    Continued on next post.

Admins - I know it's going to be a ton of pics, so I'm hosting them.
    - Jeff
    95 Mustang GT Convertible
    87 Mustang GT Convertible
    My Project | Let's Go Mets! | SCT Tuners

Project Status [===#===] [Bezel and dash creation]

lol rusty... but looks good so far btw is that a temperature gage outside on the trunk?

Comment

Needed to make an LCD holder or 'sandwich' if you will. This will give me something to which I can mount the LCD, Touchscreen, controllers & inverters. This glue I used is awesome - it's an epoxy glue for wood. I think it was made by Gorilla Glue, but I can't remember off of the top of my head. I couldn't pull it apart - well, that's not exactly true...I pulled it apart but it wasn't the glue that separated, it was the MDF!

Here's the cutout for the LCD (a backing plate will hold it in place) and the routered area is for the ELO touch glass.

Here's a shot of the panel & the touchscreen in place.

This is just a shot of a dash badge I am making for the car out of some artwork I created in Illustrator. The recessed parts will be epoxy filled (black).

Continued in next post

Comment

Originally posted by Kiriller
        lol rusty... but looks good so far btw is that a temperature gage outside on the trunk?
        Thanks yeah...it comes with the territory on an 18 year old convertible

Wait until you see some of the next pics I post Rust where you'd never expect it!

The gauge on the cowl is a fuel pressure gauge. It's a mechanical gauge so, unless you want to use an isolator (a cylinder with a diaphram in it - the fuel pushes on one side which in turn pushes a non flammable liquid - usually antifreeze/water mix on the other side, plumbed in to the passenger compartment to the gauge - so you're not running fuel in to the passenger compartment).

- Jeff

Comment

Here's the sandwich in place...seems like all is well. You can see my touchscreen retainer in this pic - and my cardboard prop

Time to start hacking an already slightly hacked extra center console.

I'm a big fan of measuring a couple times and cutting, trial fitting and cutting several times. I'd rather undercut stuff...but most of this won't matter as I get in to the dash area...you'll see why in a sec. This is going to be my LCD sandwich shelf. It'll help hold the sandwich in place while I fasten it to the brackets I'll have to really hold it in place.

Ok - trial fitting shows that the width of this screen is going to make it impossible to fit in there with just a bezel... It's causing the center console to bow outward. That's fine because I will end up making the entire area around the console bigger by using fiberglass. But the screen will need to go right to fit properly. That's going to pose a problem.

Comment

Mayday! Mayday!
            Ok....I decided to go the completely fabricated dash route....

Yup....rust...how'd that get there? Well, there's a little more work to be done but I think the finished product will be better and hell, I've gone this far!

A little work with some sandpaper, primer and grey finish, and no more rust. Time to make the ribs for fleece and fiberglassing.

Here are the ribs I shaped to follow the contour of a form I made from the old dash pad.

Here's some tape on the ribs to check the contour.

Comment

Cool , more pics?

Comment

Here's the trim I started shaping for the upper dash half of the bezel.

Here's a shot (blurry - sorry) that gives you an idea on where I'm going with this.

Here's the upper bezel and the lower bezel - I 45'd where the upper and lower meet to give it a better look. It also follows the dash line to the right - you'll see what I mean in a later pic.

Here's a mock up of the bezels (pre glass) to give you an idea on how it should fit.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinlekiller
                  Cool , more pics?
                  Yup! I have a bunch as I am pretty far on the dash install. I got sidetracked late summer to now and I am going to try and finish it up. But I do have some more that I'll post

- Jeff

Comment

Sporty fleece, huh? It was on sale...either that or camo...I figured I'd get an extra horsepower or two using this one. I was tempted to put a sticker or two on it as well

Mixing up some resin - it will cure in relation to how much hardener you put in it. Use the recommended amount and you should be ok. Remember, you have a limited time to use it and you'll want to keep that im mind when deciding how much to make. Plus, you'll want to use multiple layers and fiberglass mat to add strength. It's especially important in an area like the dash, that spans the car and is attached to the firewall. This car not having an actual frame, just two subframes and a convertible to boot, it's pretty important to make the area strong. I had a rock chip on the window once (back in the car's stock days) and turned into a driveway where one wheel went up the driveway while the other was still out in the street and the window cracked from the top to the bottom. That'll tell you how much stress is put on the chassis with these cars. It has since had subframe connectors installed, which makes it WAY stiffer.

Here's after a couple coats of resin and mat. Some sanding has been done to the right.

Filling some of the voids. Starting to look smoother.

Comment

Starting to look AMAZING!

Comment

Sanding and filling - It looks rougher than it is.

Here's a shot of some lightweight body filler to skim over the fiberglass. It'll make a nice smooth surface for the finish coat. I didn't do some of the area to the left because I had another change of plans that you'll see later.

Here's a shot with the sandwich mocked up.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinlekiller
                          Starting to look AMAZING!
                          Thanks! It's getting there!

Comment

I love it, where do you plan on putting the pc?
                            1995 Ford Mustang Convertible
                            DSATX | Shuttle XPC SN41G2Bv2 | 619GL-70NP | CF 1.6 (which is still unusable in the car!)

Comment

i think the carpc costs more then the car

good install so far dude keep em coming

Comment

Working...
                              X