2005 Vw Gti

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 Vw Gti

I have been working on the new carpc since before I even owned the car; I have had the car for about two and a half weeks now and I am almost ready to install the PC...

the last few weeks I have been building the system on my desk so I should just be able to drop the wiring harness down under the carpet, bolt the case in the mounts and install the lcd...

My system is:

MII 10000 MOBO
    256 MB Kingston mem
    M1-ATX PSU
    80 GB Western Digital 2.5" HDD
    Panasonic Slot load CD/DVD
    7" 619GL-70NP Lilliput LCD

Custom Plexi glass case and a Custom Dash piece.

Custom Dash piece just to test the fit and color, looks better then i thought it would and the color hit the bullseye....

More images to come
    1990 Jeep Cherokee
    2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
    2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

sweet
    52-hit-combo?! Is that really necessary?

Comment

What'd you do with that plexiglass thing that you said cost $20 to make

It looks great thus far
      Are you putting the cd-rom ontop of the screen?
      PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
      GammaControl v2.4
      SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Originally posted by 0l33l
        What'd you do with that plexiglass thing that you said cost $20 to make

It looks great thus far
        Are you putting the cd-rom ontop of the screen?
        That is the plexiglass peice, now that its molded and painted...

I was thinking about putting the slot load one there but i would have to hack the radio cage and thats out of the question... i might put it in the glove box or just in the computer case...

Ill upload more photos later today...
        1990 Jeep Cherokee
        2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
        2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

i would bust off the top panel on the screen and drop in a slim line slot load

Comment

Originally posted by xdjxklusivex
            i would bust off the top panel on the screen and drop in a slim line slot load
            Unfortunately (at least on my GTi), there isn't enough room depth wise to flush mount it. Not sure if this is common on all mk4's but at least in mine, the airbox is in the way. The only option is to mount it underneath and raise the screen up if you want it in the dash. I prefer my spot which is right in the glove box. The external enclosure fits nice and snug in a slot meant to house the manual.

Comment

that is a nice dash

i'm working on my dash at the mo, its gonna have custom brushed aluminium finish

yeah i've got my laptop drive in the glovebox too
              My install... check it out!

www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56599

Comment

Originally posted by StrataG
                Unfortunately (at least on my GTi), there isn't enough room depth wise to flush mount it. Not sure if this is common on all mk4's but at least in mine, the airbox is in the way. The only option is to mount it underneath and raise the screen up if you want it in the dash. I prefer my spot which is right in the glove box. The external enclosure fits nice and snug in a slot meant to house the manual.
                Same here or at least i would have to do some hacking and im trying to make this a 0% hack install... What external enclosure do you have?
                1990 Jeep Cherokee
                2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
                2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

NIIIIICE!

Can't wait to see it at the meet!

Peace,

Rafster
                  Post # 3000

Comment

Originally posted by WebDog
                    That is the plexiglass peice, now that its molded and painted...

I was thinking about putting the slot load one there but i would have to hack the radio cage and thats out of the question... i might put it in the glove box or just in the computer case...

Ill upload more photos later today...
                    Oh... that plexi peice looks nice

Too bad about the slot load
                    PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                    GammaControl v2.4
                    SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

I've gotta say that's one of the best looking installs in a MKIV I've seen. It really looks like the screen was meant to be there. Do you have any other pictures of the fabrication? I've got a screen sitting around waiting to be installed but I haven't figured out how I want to build the bezel yet.

Comment

Originally posted by WebDog
                        Same here or at least i would have to do some hacking and im trying to make this a 0% hack install... What external enclosure do you have?
                        There is a divider in that lip in the glove box. I originally intended on cutting the divider out. Instead I realized that my stowaway keyboard and it's cable fit perfectly in there. I put the dvd drive all the way left of the right section (if that makes sense). I realized that I rarely use CD's/DVD's. The only time I do is if a friend brings along some CD's at which point it's easy enough for them to access the drive in front of them. I find I use the keyboard more often so ease of access to that is more important, plus it gave me a reason not to hack up the glove box.

I have the enclosure they sell in the car store btw.

Comment

More info on your flush mounting

What did you use to do this? I'll be installing an LCD into my GTI soon, and am looking for a way to make it look stock like that. Yours looks AWESOME!

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by bluewonder
                            What did you use to do this? I'll be installing an LCD into my GTI soon, and am looking for a way to make it look stock like that. Yours looks AWESOME!

Thanks
                            Im going to make a write up on how i did it this weekend, but first i'm installing the whole system... check back tomorrow night for a write up.
                            1990 Jeep Cherokee
                            2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
                            2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

Sweeet!

I'm waiting.. THX :-D

Comment

Working...
                              X