2005 Infiniti G35 Pentium M CarPC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 Infiniti G35 Pentium M CarPC

Ok, here goes. I currently have the PC built, I am just waiting for god_of_CPU to finish the mount for a Xenarc 70TSV in a 2005 G35. He has the 2003-2004 mount all setup and it looks really nice; the 2005 is done, just waiting for it to get back from the fabrication plant. So, here is what is in the PC itself:

LV-673 motherboard
    Pentium-M 2.26 GHZ
    2 sticks of 512 mb for a total of 1 gB
    Ati X300 PCI-X video card w 256 mB
    Senao EMP-8602 400mW/26dBm mini-PCI 802.11 a/b/g wireless card
    Hitachi 7k100 7200 rpm 100 gB 2.5" HD
    Generic slot-load DVD-ROM
    DSX12VD (also known as DSX Power Sequencer, described here: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67883

On a seperate auxilliary mount, there is the following:
    D-Link 4 port powered USB hub
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX USB sound card
    Opus 15W POL

Antenna wise, I have the following:

3 dbI Mobile Mini Antenna, centered on 2.4 ghZ (for 802.11 b/g)
    BU-353 USB GPS Antenna

Little bit about the car:
    2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe, 6 speed manual transmission, 298 hp stock
    Engine:Crawford high flow cats, HKS Ti True Dual exhaust, free flow intake, MotorDyne MREV modified upper plenum, UR underdrive pulley, GordGee Grounding Gear, JWT Oil Cooler, JWT Oil Pan Spacer (adds 1 quar capacity); approx 330-340 actual HP (haven't dynoed it yet)
    Suspension: Stillen Adjustable Sway bars with urethane bearings, GT Spec rear tie bar
    Interior: Nismo Short Shifter, Valentine 1 radar detector, aluminum bullet shift knob, Blitz R-Vit MultiMeter
    Sound: Stock head unit, Phatbox 40gB MP3 player, JL Audio 500/1 Amp for JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer, JL Audio 450/4 biamp for Boston Acoustic Z6, and JL Audio e2150 for a set DB650 6.5 CoAx rears, and lots of Dynamat

*** Finished redoing the sound system, pics very soon*****

Fronts: Boston Acoustic Z6 components, bi-amped with a JL Audio 450/4
    Rears: Polk DB650's amped with a JL Audio e2150
    Sub: JL Audio 10w6v2 powered by a JL Audio 500/1

Other: New distro block, with integrated fuses, 0/1 gauge wire from battery to block, 4 gauge wire from block to amps, AudioControl LC8 as LOC in order to even out frequency response, more dynamat all around

Plan on putting JWT Twin Turbo kit in as soon as it recieves CARB certification (approx another 100 rwhp....)

So, here's some pictures:

First one is a view from the front top of the CarPC

Second one is a view fron the left top of the CarPC

Third one is a view from the right top of the CarPC

Fourth one is my audi setup, the CarPC is in the lower left corner

Last one is a view of my audio setup with the trunk cover, and teh window cut for viewing. You can still see part of the CarPC

****************EDIT #1 *******************

Cleaned up the wiring in the trunk, see later post

****************EDIT #2 *******************

No new pictures, just added in some more data about the car, and the plans for my new audio system

****************EDIT #3********************

Finished redoing sound system, the 450/4 makes the BA Z6's sing! I have not heard better sound in any car I have been in. Very impressed with BA's high end speakers. Pics of the new amp rack this weekend.

Also, the G35 screen for 2005/2006 G35's just came out, here Got one on order, just waiting for it to get here, and I will do the install. Still looking for a solution to my sound issue, described in detail here Can't wait to get my CarPC installed and done!

**************************Edit #4*************

Changed soem of the pictures to reflect my current setup. Even got a cool little diecast G to add some beauty to the audio setup
    Attached Files
    2005 Infiniti G35 6MT Coupe Black/Black
    Core Duo CarPC
    CarDomain page

And here is a couple of more pictures, including some of the car:

First is the subwoofer box, with Infiniti symbol

Second is the the auxilliarys mount (Sound Blaster Audigy, D-Link USB hub, and Opus POL)

Third is view of the front, with my short shifter, and custom Redline Goods shift and ebrake boots.

Fourth one is a left front view of the G35

Last is left rear view of the G35

Dave

Edit: Changed pics to show current setupo
    Attached Files
    Core Duo CarPC
    CarDomain page

Comment

And now, here's the pics of the screen:

First, the blank screen

Second, the bootskin

Third, the logon screen

Fourth, my desktop with background

And finally, my Frodoplayer skin (I didn't make it, just plagarized it)

Dave
      Attached Files
      Core Duo CarPC
      CarDomain page

Comment

wow, b-e-a-utiful... Cant wait to see the screen

Comment

Oh, in answer to a question I got, the trunk carpet goes over the whole thing, and the only trunk space lost is where the subwoofer is. The spare tire was orginally in the spot where the amps are, and the spare tire tool kit was in the spot where the carPC is going. I've got roadside assistance and fix a flat, so no problems there!

And there is a flat sheet of plexiglass as a top cover for the CarPC, just wasn't on when I took the pics.

Dave
          Core Duo CarPC
          CarDomain page

Comment

i say if your gonna make a window to see in. atleast line up the window with the amps or something. or atleast clean up and cable tie the wires to look reallly clean and professional.
            i got dat ***** sittin on 22s! SUPERMAN EDITION!

Comment

I know the cables are a mess, it's still a work in progress. As for the window, I figure at some point, I will remove the stock trunk floor (the board that the window is in) and put in a new one, that actually fits correctly, and has the window lined up right. Gonna be a bit, though, sometime after I finish everything else.

Dave

Edit: fixed the cables so this is no longer applicable
              Core Duo CarPC
              CarDomain page

Comment

I love it!!!

damn expensive UK parts!

:'(

Comment

bastid!

Comment

yes that means i like and I am jealous!

Comment

Are the GPS & wifi antennas external to the car or internal? Can you take a picture of them?

What did you use to make that black flooring in the trunk?

What do you use to cut, drill and glue your plexi? Never have found a good answer to this.

Thanks and looks awesome Go NC!

Comment

GPS is the BU-353, USB powered, (http://www.usglobalsat.com/item.asp?itemid=60) going to run it through to the back shelf. Inside the car, but not in the trunk.

Wifi antenna, same place, it is a short stubby antenna, I can't remember the website address that I bought it from, but I will take some pictures of both of them later today.

The black flooring in the trunk was the stock G35 trunk insert. I assume you are talking about the one with the square window cut in it.

I used a rotary saw to cut the plexiglass. Need a sharp blade, and need to be careful with it. Not a dremel style rotary saw, I mean the kind with a 12" diameter blade. Small holes are easily drilled in plexiglass, with a regular drill and sharp bits. If you try and drill a bigger hole with a big bit, though, you will probably crack the plexi. Try drill a small dole, then expanding it with a dremel. The holes for the fans, I cut using a hole saw; somehow I managed to do this without cracking, but I think I got lucky. Finally, I did not glue the plexi; it is all held together with nuts, bolts and screws.

Dave
                        Core Duo CarPC
                        CarDomain page

Comment

Yes the black flooring I am referring to is the one you cut the square in. I have an '04 and I did not get a black insert like that. I have the standard black platform flooring on the left and right sides of the spare tire area. I have a piece of carpetting with a flimsy black plastic piece on the bottom side of it. And then I have the trunk mat that goes on top of that.

Maybe I'm missing something here... flew for 7 hours yesterday.

Comment

That "flimsy black piece" attached to the carpeting is the black flooring....

Like I said, it's temporary. Another idea is getting a good piece of wood, covering it in black carpet, and cutting a hole in that for a window.

Dave
                            Core Duo CarPC
                            CarDomain page

Comment

Ok, the wireless antenna was from here:

http://sharperconcepts.zoovy.com/pro...SC-HG2403MGURB

3 dbi gain on the antenna, not bad for it's size, relatively inepensive, and available with a variety of different connectors.

And here is some pictures:

1st one from inside car
                              2nd one from outside car (you can see the defroster lines in the window)
                              3rd one antennas on floor for clear size comparison.

The tube of chapstick is for size comparison, and as you can see the antennas are really small. I haven't reied reception from inside the car, but I figure I can live with it, whatever it is.

Dave
                              Attached Files
                              Core Duo CarPC
                              CarDomain page

Comment

Working...
                              X