1998 Chevy Lumina LTZ - RWH84

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 Chevy Lumina LTZ - RWH84

Ok i just wanted to say that its nice to be with you all as i am new here and am in the progress of putting together a Carputer in my lumina.

Heres where i am at so far i am using a motherboard out of an old gateway pc i had laying around so as of right now i am unsure what it is exactly but its a 400 mhz with 256 mb of memory and onboard audio/video i ordered an opus 120w dc to dc power supply, panasonic dvd combo drive and a 8" vga touch screen i plan on using a std. 160 GB HHD with windows xp on a nlite diet i would like to put a fm tunner card in but haven't made up my mind as of yet. I am building a custom box for all of this (or should i say trying) lol. its being made out of fiberglass and well my first to try's well wasn't so great but the 3rd times lookin better as this is my first time working with fiberglass

My first mock up of what the case was to look like was in cardboard but after thinnking it over i reworked the mock up in tile yes tile as it floor tile anyhow i went on to start fiberglassing it well i didn't get enough hardener in it so it never hardened so i tryed laying a layer over it whith more hardener with no luck so i scraped it and started over and with better luck i might add now i got a mold to work with. thats all i got for now i will keep you posted on my progress and post some pics when i figure out how. thanks for all the good info on the site been a big help.

pics?

Comment

Here is some pics of what it started out as.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_0001.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	2251090

Name:	DCP_0002.JPG
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	2251091

Name:	DCP_0003.JPG
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	2251092

Comment

These are of my cardboard mock up.

Name:	DCP_0004.JPG
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	2251101

Name:	DCP_0005.JPG
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	2251102

Name:	DCP_0007.JPG
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	2251103

Comment

Here is the final mock up in tile.

Name:	DCP_0008.JPG
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	2251104

Name:	DCP_0009.JPG
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	2251105

Name:	DCP_0010.JPG
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	2251106

Comment

Here is my Motherboard and hard Drive.

Name:	DCP_0011.JPG
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	2251107

This is some pic on my tile mock up covered in aluminum foil.

Name:	DCP_0015.JPG
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	2251108

Name:	DCP_0016.JPG
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	2251109

Comment

Here is me and a friend on our first fiberglassing attempt with jelly fiberglassing resin which wasn't used again.

Name:	DCP_0017.JPG
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	2251110

Name:	DCP_0018.JPG
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	2251111

Name:	DCP_0019.JPG
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	2251112

Comment

ok its been a little bit since my last post so let me feel you in i got my mold all fiberglassed and stuff but got to thinking that maybe i should make it out of metal so i stoped working on my fiberglass case and started mocking up a metal case but havent had much time to work on it due to me having to work alot so i really havent got far on that part heres a pic on the fiberglass mold

Name:	DCP_0001.JPG
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	2251332

i havent took a pic of the metal case yet so you will have to wait for those pics.

Comment

shame, i think that woulda been one of the first fiberglass cases i've seen
                  PC Components:
                  Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
                  My work log

Comment

yeah didnt turn out bad but its too much work for nothing. metal would actually be better so you could ground the mobo on standoffs than ground the case and youll have no alternator whine.
                    i got dat ***** sittin on 22s! SUPERMAN EDITION!

Comment

thanks for your input does anyone know where i can get som mobo standoffs at???

Comment

I've bought a few bags of them at comp usa... everytime i go to work on the project again i've lost them

Comment

ok thanks for the help

Comment

I got a bunch for free from a local computer store, I just asked if they had some (thinking they had a retail package) and he just pulled out a big plastic bin and gave me 10 for free...try it
                            [+++++++++=]
                            As of 4/15/06: Computer is in and running great! Still got a few bugs to work out tho
                            M10000, Lilliput, M1-ATX, Slot DVD, 40 GB HDD, 512 MB DDR, BU-353, M$ S&T '06, XMD1000

Comment

ok i might give that a try when i get a chance thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X