X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 Scion Tc - Carputer And Audio Install

-- Buying --
    Still researching and figuring out what I could get
    Planning to get everything I want figured out, then buy it all at once, or seperated into computer and audio

Goals:

1. To build a carputer that is capible of playing MP3's and Divx movies. I would also like to play DVD's that have been ripped to the hard drive, but that is not required.

2. To install and integrate a new audio system (Speakers,Amps,Subwoofers) and have quality audio from the system. I would like to use a system without a headunit, but have no problems with that if that will be the only way to get the quality of sound I would like.

General Concerns/Questions/Thoughts:
    • - Integrate controls with audio system
    • - Would like to start carputer with Keyless entry that car already has
      • - Seperate function for car unlock and unlock/computer start
      • - Puter starts when unlocked
      • - Turning on ignition will override remote
      • - Computer will turn off when lock is pressed on remote
    • - Integrate ODB-II into the computer
    • - Integrate Climate conrols into the puter (would be fun to try, but seems like a lot of work)

Computer:
    • - Motherboard in mini ITX format, most likely VIA EPIA or Pentium/Celeron/AMD Mobile processor if EPIA is too slow.
    • - 512 Megs DDR Ram
    • - Smallest case I can find that can support 3.5 HD
    • - Carnetix or OPUS, I like the pulse start of carnetix
    • - Audio:
      • - Try onboard to see what quality is (prolly not too good)
      • - Try USB audio to see if voltages are higher
      • - Possibly use Line Drive or HU for better sound
    • - Control:
      • - Touch screen, Most likely super brand 7" that is found on Ebay if it can handle correct resolutions

Audio:
    • Head Unit:
      • - Currently have P860MP, would like to go without HU
      • - If HU is required will need to mount it somewhere
        • - Glovebox - Out of the way, but hard to access and change volume/functions
        • - Custom fab something in cubby below HVAC
      • - Could integrate steering controls, but they would only control HU, not PC, so prolly not worth it
      • - Would have to deal with 2 volume controls, HU and Puter, could just control with Puter
    • Sound Deadening:
      • - Use eDead for sound deadening - ~120 sq ft www.edesignaudio.com
      • - Use al V1, or some of the thicker V4 in some places? (wheelwells)
    • Amplifiers
      • - Check if there is space where rear speakers are mounted
      • - Use cubbys in back of car, re-locate the stuff that is currently there
      • - Mount under drive and passenger seat
      • - Amp for 4 front speakers and subwoofer? Which one?
    • Sub woofer
      • - Mount in cubbys?
      • - Mount above spare tire in FG enclosure?
      • - Regular box in trunk?
    • Speakers
      • - 6.5 Components in front
        • - I like sound quality of Infinity Reference 6010CS
        • - Focal 165 A1
      • - 6.5 Midrange in rear
        • - Get same brand to match?
        • - Use stock speakers?

UPDATE: Mar 28

Got Most of the Sound system done

HU - Going to use Pioneed P860MP - Or just use Sound Card to amp
    Front Speakers - Boston Acoustics PRO60 Component Speakers
    Rear Speakers - Keep Stock running off HU, but wont really need them for correct soundstage
    Amp - PPI PCX480 (4x80-4ohm/4x160-2ohm/2x320-4ohm)

Front components are rms 100-400watt running at 3 ohm, so they should be getting about 130 watts rms. Going to run the other channel of the amp to some sub, possibly Image Dynamics 10"

Sound Card - Audigy NX2 USB - Going to see how the sound out of it is
    Computer - HP NC4010 Laptop, its just lying around so I will use it for now (Pentium M 1.6, 1gig ram)

Currently Need to buy:

Wiring for amp/speakers - 4 Gauge from KnuKonceptz
    Screen - Thinking Lilliput or the generic touch screen that sells on eBay for less
    DC Adapter for laptop to power in car
    Attached Files

Question

I am planning on doing a similar project on my 06 tC as well. What do you plan on doing with regards to AM/FM radio. Does it bother you that you will lose functionality of the steering wheel controls? I was actually considering moving the stock HU into the glove compartment, and have the CarPC sound off through the AUX input to maintain the radio, steering controls, and automatic sound leveling.

Comment

definitely go with the lilliput screen 729

here is one i did for a tc owner

if u need any tips or want one created, let me know

Comment

Originally posted by bembowe
        here is one i did for a tc owner

if u need any tips or want one created, let me know

What did you do with the buttons along the bottom of the screen?

Comment

I programmed the monitor to auto power on/off so i really do not have any need for the buttons. There is a way to extend the ir to the vent so that the remote can be use but I have not gotten around to do that.

the buttons are still behind the screen and still functional.

Originally posted by Rabid Lemming

Comment

here is the website that sells the IR reciever extension.
            http://www.mechatroniks.com/wrx/ordering.html

Comment

Bembowe, does the lilliput have much of a problem with glare in the sunlight? I had been thinking about possibly going with Xenarc because they are brighter. It seems also that being inside the radio cubby would reduce the glare a little bit.

by the way, That screen install looks really nice

Comment

thanks.
                The lillliput does have glare. but I recently bought one with some kinda anti glare from Armen (digitalww). From what i had, the xenarc is much better than the lilliput and i am sure they are the same size so i dont see any problems trying to fit it in the tc console.

Originally posted by Duqx
                Bembowe, does the lilliput have much of a problem with glare in the sunlight? I had been thinking about possibly going with Xenarc because they are brighter. It seems also that being inside the radio cubby would reduce the glare a little bit.

by the way, That screen install looks really nice

Comment

i myself have a carpc setup in my 06 tc.. what i have is no headunit with the computer running sound to a 200 watt pioneer amp that pushes the speakers in the car. i have a 300 watt pushing 2 10" subs in my trunk in a bandpass box. the box takes up a lot of the trunk. but if i need storage, all i do is flip down the back seats, and roll the box 180 degrees (so the speakers that were facing the rear of the car now face the front of the car). then i have the entire trunk plus some of the area gained from flipping the seats down.. i have been considering getting a higher powered amp and 1 12" speaker but i really enjoy the sound currently so i probably will just leave it alone.

underneath the trunk space, below the mats i have the subwoofer amp housed in the middle of the spare tire. i took the styrofome storage block and cut out a large square hole so the amp sits flush with the top of the styrofome. to the right of that i amp going to be mounting the carpc (it was below passanger seat orginally. got annoying).

i was considering getting a headunit to power everything. but the amp i think was cheaper, and i dont mind not having FM radio. it'd be more convienent if i could load CDs and DVDs on a headunit but i am going to mount my slot load dvd drive in the glove compartment so no biggie.

im not super picky about looks and impressiveness. im more about functionality. my system sounds good to my ears and is a fairly clean install with all of that room under the trunk floor.

to Rabid Lemming: i would not recomment keeping the stock headunit for anything. if you want to use a headunit, get a new one that supports steering wheel remote control, if thats a big deal to you. a new headunit will be higher wattage and not have that ****ty gain limiter on it. basically it keeps the sound from distorting when you turn up the volume loud, but makes the sound coming out sound horrible. even with my stock speakers, bypassing the factory headunit and going straight to a real amp makes a HUGE difference in sound quality.

eddie

Comment

* - Would like to start carputer with Keyless entry that car already has
                    o - Seperate function for car unlock and unlock/computer start
                    o - Puter starts when unlocked
                    o - Turning on ignition will override remote
                    o - Computer will turn off when lock is pressed on remote
                    This shoulnd't be too hard, however, I'm not sure about using the factory alarm....with aftermarket, I can't see it being that difficult though. I've currently got mine to where the computer will start with remote start, the screen will stay off untill the key is in the ignition for security purposes. Would imagine just tying into a relay for the door switches would accomplish what you're wanting?

* - Integrate Climate conrols into the puter (would be fun to try, but seems like a lot of work)
                    are your climate controlls vacuum controlled or are they electronic? if vacuum, you're in for one hell of a project I'd imagine...lol
                    Jan Bennett
                    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

For now, I think I will keep the stock HU, and move it to the glove box, as I stated before. Eventually I will go with a newer HU, and get the steering wheel control interface for it. However, aside from cutting and splicing new wires to the original harness, is there anything to extend the existing wire harness to the HU? Dugx, how's the touchscreen install going for you? I have all the parts, but have yet installed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabid Lemming View Post
                        hey bembowe, i saw your comment... is it possible u tell me how to make that custom dash bezel ?

Comment

Originally posted by bembowe View Post
                          What did you get the climate control buttons black or dark gray?

Comment

Working...
                          X