Clear All

• 2006 Mustang GT Worklog

PROJECT 95% COMPLETE (OF COURSE, I'LL NEVER BE DONE):

Here's my finshed dash:

Frontend on workdesk:

Somewhat finished trunk:

Various install shots:

My Original First Post. . .

Since most of my hardware will be showing up next week, now seemed like as good a time as ever to begin a worklog.

Here's my baby:

And here is the wiring diagram I have come up with so far:

Let me know if you see anything wrong with my wiring and if you have any suggestions.

The 7" Lilliput is via the Suburu bolt-in kit, which actually fits perfectly in the Mustang's double-din opening with the aid of a metra faceplate. Unfortunately, the metra wiring kit for the "Shaker 500" is backordered, so I'll mostly be doing software and hardware tweaks for the next month while working off of a workbench.

This is my first time attempting something like this so constructive criticism is more than welcome. Questions? Comments?

EDIT:
    In addition to the above hardware, I will be using the following software:

Roadrunner
    MC2.0 at the moment
    iGuidance 2.1.3 with Reshacker mods
    Phoco
    My Worklog
    2006 Tungsten Grey GT | Dark Charcoal Leather | 18" Fanblades | Spoiler Delete
    C&L Intake | Bullitt Mufflers | MGW Short-throw Shifter | MGW Interior Pieces

OK, so I think I am ready for my install this weekend. I have tweaked all my software to the point that I am comfortable it will run smooth enough to enjoy it on the road. I know I will never be 100% satisfied, but thats why this is a hobby right? Its never actually done.

I'm running Road Runner with the MC2.0 skin and this will be my main menu:
    My Audio
    My Video
    My Navigation
    My Phone
    My Nintendo

Bluetooth is working pretty well so far but phoco loads within roadrunner maybe 25% of the time. And my callerID is only right about 50% of the time. I'm running the most recent RR and phoco, hopefully future releases with fix these issues.

Navigation is looking awesome. I've modified the MC2.0 skin to my liking, using iGkeys and IGLaunch to embed IGuidance beautifully along with amber theme using reshacker.

Anyways, I've got all the wiring I need, fuses, RCA splitters, Metra wiring harness, I think I'm set. One last thing I'm gonna pick up is a 12v to 5v regulator from radio shack to keep my subs from popping.

Wish me luck on the install this weekend, I'll get more pictures up as soon as I can.
    My Worklog

Comment

Install update:

Well, the screen is in and with most of the audio wired up, I brought the computer into the car with an AC-DC power supply and fired her up to test the sound. The stock subs work just fine, but the other 4 main speakers max out on volume much too low. I guess the stock amps only power the subs.

So my stang is half torn apart on the inside while I decide on a 4-channel amp to power the stock speakers for mids and highs. I don't really want to spend too much on the amp, maybe $100-$150, just enough to get it back to stock sound or maybe a little better.

Luckily I havn't run the main power line for the computer yet, but when I do, I can run the power for the amp at the same time.
      My Worklog

Comment

Originally posted by WarningSLO
        I guess the stock amps only power the subs.
        that's how it was on my '03
        Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

Comment

OK, so I picked up a used JBL P80.4 amp for $100, and I'm ready to move forward again with this project.

I also think I'm gonna move everything to just behind the back seats in the trunk. I don't want people in the backseat stepping all over my stuff.

I'm revising my wiring diagram and I'll upload that in a bit. Hopefully I can get all of this "done" over the weekend.

EDIT:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Diagram2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	2252993
          My Worklog

Comment

Bump...

See first post for updated status of project.
            My Worklog

Comment

Nice Install! Very clean! And the car is pretty sweet too!

I have a question for you about your screen install - I was gonna try the WRX kit too (in my 97 Maxima) the dimensions look pretty close for my 2-din openning. Why did you need to use a Metra faceplate? Did the WRX kit bolt in OK or are you using the metra kit to hold it in place?

Comment

I had to have the metra faceplate for two reasons.

1) To give it a finished look. Otherwise the WRX kit would not fit flush with the dash and would have a half-inch gap around the edges.

2) If you look at the fifth pic from the top, you see 4 bolts. Those are the only 4 bolts holding the screen in place. The WRX kit doesn't have these bolt locations, so I had to get the metra faceplate in order for this to work.
                My Worklog

Comment

A few more pics...

Audio Playlist:

Visualization:

Video Main Screen:

Video Fullscreen:

Navigation (iGuidance version 2.1.3):

And a little Nintendo for my passengers:
                  My Worklog

Comment

Makes sense

Originally posted by WarningSLO
                    I had to have the metra faceplate for two reasons.

1) To give it a finished look. Otherwise the WRX kit would not fit flush with the dash and would have a half-inch gap around the edges.

2) If you look at the fifth pic from the top, you see 4 bolts. Those are the only 4 bolts holding the screen in place. The WRX kit doesn't have these bolt locations, so I had to get the metra faceplate in order for this to work.
                    Good find - that Metra kit makes all the difference with the screen install. I think the WRX kit might be a tad too big for my dash opening. Might have to do some dremmeling!

The rest of your pics look great!

Comment

Need More updates!!! I have an 06 Black Stang, and am wanting to do something very similar to yours....And yes, i am a newbie, so I'm already zipping up the flame suit....but you bought a 12v to 5v regulator, where did you install this at? Between the wiring harness and the laptop or where?? Awesome tho, looks very, very good. PROPS!!!! Also, are you using the entire Subie Drop in or just the screen in the dash....im confused, sorry!!
                      Cory

Comment

OK I'm going to try and answer a bunch of questions here from both posts and personal messages that I received. This isn't directed at any one person and will hopefully answer everyone's questions:

1) The monitor is a modified 7" lilliput vga touchscreen. It is meant to fit a Suburu WRX but will fit cleanly in a 2005+ Mustang with the addition of the Metra double-din kit. You can find the monitor HERE.

2) Yes, these are VGA monitors, and are connected with VGA cables.

3) If you remove the stock headunit, you will need a 4-channel amplifier to power the 4 main speakers.

4) The speakers are connected through a Metra wiring kit. Yes, there are two Metra kits... a dash kit and a speaker wiring kit.

5) If you can't figure out my wiring diagram, then maybe this isn't the hobby for you, but I'll try to help. Sound is sent from the soundcard. My soundcard has three outputs: Front, Rear, and Center/Sub. These outputs are in 3.5mm form. So you need three stereo splitter cords that go from 3.5mm to RCA. The front and rear RCA's plug into your 4-channel amplifier. The Sub RCA plugs directly into the Metra wiring kit, which sends your sub signals to the stock amplifiers. Then you must use speaker wire to connect the 4-channel amp to the Metra wiring kit. Oh yeah, Metra stuff can be found at Crutchfield.com

6) If you are going to use a laptop, you better read up on inverters. Go to the FAQ Emporium and start researching.

7) The 12v to 5v regulator goes from your 12v ignition line to the "power on" or "trigger" lines for the stock amps (8" door subs) on the Metra wiring kit. Without it, you will get a popping sound everytime you switch on your ignition.

8) The Suburu kit is for the screen only. You can build a computer in the tight space behind the screen if you want but I built a seperate one and put it in the trunk.
                        My Worklog

Comment

WarningSlo....Im giving you big props on the install, I'm still amazed at it...Thanks for answering my newbie question.....I also love the Nintendo....that is awesome. I think I am going to model my install after yours. I absolutely love the way yours looks. I got a question? I noticed you didn't have an FM tuner anywhere....do you think you will miss not having FM?? Did you not include one because of the reception supposedly not being so good?? Just wondering....personally I don't think I would really miss it with all my digital music, but the one time I want to listen to the radio...I wouldn't have it...just me. Love the clean install....love the car and color too, that was my 2nd choice color.
                          Cory

Comment

Firewall Access for Amp Wire?

Where did you get the power wire through the firewall and how? In older models it was simple, but it seems like this firewall is double walled.

Comment

You have to take the front passenger side wheel off. Then remove the wheel well lining, and you'll see a large bundle of wires making their way through the firewall. Follow them, they will pop out under a plastic panel by your passenger's feet.
                              My Worklog

Comment

Working...
                              X