Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2000 Porsche Boxster CarPuter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2000 Porsche Boxster CarPuter

    Well, where to begin. I will be installing an aOpen PC with a 7" Lilliput touch screen into my car. Additional add-ons have not been decided yet. GPS definitely, but we'll cross that bridge when the unit is in and working.

    First of all, here is the car we are working with.



    This is what the dash looks like before modification started.



    I moved the AC Controls and the Radio all the way down leaving this opening.



    Here is the issue. In order to get the dash frame out, I first have to remove the two rows of buttons on either side (highlighted in blue in the image below)



    Getting them off is not the problem - that's easy. The issue is when they are removed, and the panel is taken off, it looks like this. (This one is silver, but mine looks pretty much the same)



    Since the side buttons have to be able to snap back on to this piece after fabrication and incorporation of the TFT bezel, I'm wondering how I am going to get this to work.

    The TFT doesn't arrive until the 6th, and I'll be dremmeling away at my current dash frame piece (that middle bar for example has to go). but in the mean time, if someone has some fabrication tips for this sort of thing, it would be appreciated.

    More soon . . .

    Todd

  • #2
    nice car, good luck with your install

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by toddwess
      Well, where to begin. I will be installing an aOpen PC with a 7" Lilliput touch screen into my car. Additional add-ons have not been decided yet. GPS definitely, but we'll cross that bridge when the unit is in and working.

      First of all, here is the car we are working with.

      Since the side buttons have to be able to snap back on to this piece after fabrication and incorporation of the TFT bezel, I'm wondering how I am going to get this to work.

      The TFT doesn't arrive until the 6th, and I'll be dremmeling away at my current dash frame piece (that middle bar for example has to go). but in the mean time, if someone has some fabrication tips for this sort of thing, it would be appreciated.

      More soon . . .

      Todd
      I am no expert, but why not just get a bare lcd, or remove the lcd panel and the electronics from the "bezel" and mount it in the square "panel", either in front or behind the "panel" opening. You may not even have to remove the bar in the middle of the opening in the car, though you might have to shave it a little to get enough room to get the panel in there.

      I certainly wouldn't mold the entire screen bezel into that "panel", you have a perfect opening for it right now.

      ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

      Comment


      • #4
        That is also one of my thoughts. When the panel gets delivered on Thursday, that is the first thing I am going to test . . . to see if the raw LCD will will fit in the opening.

        I wonder if anyone here knows the dimensions of the raw lcd from a Lillipult 7" . . .

        The opening shown above is 190mm wide by 129mm tall

        Off to search . . .

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by toddwess
          That is also one of my thoughts. When the panel gets delivered on Thursday, that is the first thing I am going to test . . . to see if the raw LCD will will fit in the opening.

          I wonder if anyone here knows the dimensions of the raw lcd from a Lillipult 7" . . .

          The opening shown above is 190mm wide by 129mm tall

          Off to search . . .
          http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...3&postcount=12

          The opening is big enough.

          Michael
          ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Wiredwrx
            I found those numbers, too! Thanks for the info.

            I'm wondering if the opening is TOO big. The screen itself is only 165 wide and the opening is about 190. That's 1/2 inch on each side. I'll have to hold it up there and see what it looks like.

            The plus side to this is that there would be enough room at the bottom to mount my slot-loading dvd drive!

            Thanks again,
            Todd

            Comment


            • #7
              Good luck on install! Have always been a Porsche love myself so looking forward to doing this myself one day!
              Nick
              '99 Ford Escort ZX2 CarPC <-- RIP Feb '07

              2006 Chevy Equinox LS (Current Project)

              **VIA EPIA PD 1ghz Mobo, OPUS 150, 7" LinITX LCD touchscreen, 512 Ram, 60Gig HD, DLink Bluetooth, Belkin 802.11g wireless,

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by toddwess
                I found those numbers, too! Thanks for the info.

                I'm wondering if the opening is TOO big. The screen itself is only 165 wide and the opening is about 190. That's 1/2 inch on each side. I'll have to hold it up there and see what it looks like.

                The plus side to this is that there would be enough room at the bottom to mount my slot-loading dvd drive!

                Thanks again,
                Todd

                Well, you would have to do something like what they do in picture framing, I think they call it "matting".

                Basically, get a sheet of ABS plastic, or something like that. Cut it to the size of the larger opening, and then cut the inside of the abs plastic to fit your screen. Then bond, connect, screw, whatever, the abs to the panel you have, and the screen to the abse. Then, just cut an opening in the abs for your slot load. Viola, perfect.

                In this pic, the black is the abs, the white is the opening you need to cut for the various items to install.

                Michael

                ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Michael, you are six different kinds of cool!!!!!

                  I was just working in AutoCAD to draw up the same sort of thing. I'm thinking of putting two USB ports on either side of the slot-loading DVD. What else could I put there? Headphone jack is another thought . . .

                  CAD file to be upload shortly . . .

                  Todd

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by toddwess
                    Michael, you are six different kinds of cool!!!!!

                    I was just working in AutoCAD to draw up the same sort of thing. I'm thinking of putting two USB ports on either side of the slot-loading DVD. What else could I put there? Headphone jack is another thought . . .

                    CAD file to be upload shortly . . .

                    Todd
                    USB. LEDs. Media reader/card reader. Switches?????

                    Michael
                    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I have about the same room in my C230 and am putting the slot-load drive below, yet moved the buttons and IR port to either side of the LCD.

                      May add a USB and firewire port to the right side, yet am afraid some passenger will knock it and bend it while reaching for the screen, so I am putting them elsewhere for now.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        There is still a lot of wiggle room to play with.

                        I wonder what the dims are of the 8" wide screen tft . . .

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by taylor192
                          I have about the same room in my C230 and am putting the slot-load drive below, yet moved the buttons and IR port to either side of the LCD.

                          May add a USB and firewire port to the right side, yet am afraid some passenger will knock it and bend it while reaching for the screen, so I am putting them elsewhere for now.
                          I've seen a lot of folks relocating those. How long is the ribbon cable for them . . . i.e. how far can they be stretched?

                          Todd

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            If I have done my trig right, the dimensions of the 8" widescreen should be 178mm x 114mm which means I could fit in an 8" display instead of a 7"

                            Here is an 8" widescreen for a great price

                            http://cgi.ebay.com/8-TFT-LCD-VGA-MO...QQcmdZViewItem

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by toddwess
                              If I have done my trig right, the dimensions of the 8" widescreen should be 178mm x 114mm which means I could fit in an 8" display instead of a 7"

                              Here is an 8" widescreen for a great price

                              http://cgi.ebay.com/8-TFT-LCD-VGA-MO...QQcmdZViewItem

                              It probably isn't staright triganometry. If you search, you might be able to find the dimentions of an 8 inch screen. I personally would stick with a 7 inch, but that is a personal choice.

                              Michael
                              ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X