Putting a Mac Mini in my Beetle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting a Mac Mini in my Beetle

Ive been lurking here for a while getting information on how to put a Mac mini into my car. Ive had the mini for a while and I finally got the screen and power supply to intall it in my car from the store here. Im probably halfway done and rather than retype everything Ill just link to the install progress on my cardomain page. Check it out and let me know what you think.

My carputer progress so far
    1999 Beetle TDI

My Beetles Pictures and Modifications

Very nice. Def. like the distribution block, it's an awesome idea. Do you notice any static on your screen, because it seems like you have the PSU mounted behind the screen?

Comment

Yes, the PSU is less than an inch away from the screen but it hasnt caused any issues at all. Im glad too since it worked out so well space-wise with that setup. Its been working great. When I get my next round of ambition I have to hook up the sleep/startup function and the cosmetics on the box.
      1999 Beetle TDI

Comment

why didn't you put the mac in the glovebox between the seats? there's plenty of space! it is actually designed to hold a 1din 6 disc cd changer, which in other 2din dash hu space vw models is mounted right below the hu; you might even fit the carnetix! it gets a little warm in there, but i think the mini should handle it well!
        Car PC progress: 60%
        Pics coming soon!!!

Comment

Mine has the older console. The cd changer in mine was in the trunk. Thats a wicked good idea though! Im going to look for the newer console, I think it will fit in mine with no modification. Id like to have the swing out cupholders too. Thanks for the idea. Im also trying to think of a better place to put my monitor where I can see it better while driving. I usually keep it off when Im moving but Id like to be able to see it better when I want to change songs and when I finally get my gps hooked up it would be better too. I might do the pop-up screen like the person who wrote the iBug faq did. Im not sure yet.
          1999 Beetle TDI

Comment

Working...
          X