2001 Mustang

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 Mustang

I've been planning my CarPC for about 2 months and have already purchased all the hardware. racerx3165 inspired the design approach with his 94 Mustang. I'm in the process fabricating the case and hacking up my dashboard right now and thought it would be good to start a work log. The plan is to place the entire PC inside he dash where the radio was.

Shift Bezel

PHASE 1:
    To reloacate the Fog/Defrost/TC switches down where the lighter is (lower bezel). I cut out the switch area from the upper bezel and used expoxy to attach it in a hole cut out in the lower bezel. Add a little bondo to smooth things over, sand and paint.

LESSONS LEARNED:
    1. Primer paint is also a filler of small imperfections. After several sessions of sanding and re-painting (with primer - gray) it started to look very smooth.

2. The air-tools pictured below played a KEY role in cutting the bezels and sanding the inside curves of the bezel.

Here is the work flow of the shift bezel...
    Attached Files

Comment

Radio Bezel

Lots of reconstructive surgery is needed on the upper radio bezel. The A/C is moving from the top to the bottom. The screen needs to be as recessed in as much as it can in hopes a shadow is cast over the display.
      Attached Files

Comment

Gutting the Dash

To relocate the AC controls some cutting needed to take place.

Two horizontal cross beams (one metal and one plastic) between the radio and the AC controls needed to be remove. These cuts allow the AC Control Panel to be relocated without disconnecting wires and are also required to enable the LCD display to set deeper into the dash.

The AC Control panel itself also had to be modified. By cutting about 1/2" off both sides (basically just past the mounting holes) it can now fit into the space where the Fog/TC/Defrost switches were.

I also removed the slide rail and crossbeam supporting the old radio.

PICTURES TO FOLLOW...

Comment

The Computer

OK, this is the meet of the project. I've done a lot of reading and thinking... and that could be dangerous!

I'm using an M10000 MiniITX in a custom built case with a M2-ATX PSU, 60G HD, 512M RAM, DVD writer and a Linksys Wifi card. The box is 7x7x3.

The box was fabricated from a piece of sheet metal purchased from Home Depot, cut, bent and brazed together. The Motherboard sets 3/4" off the floor of the case to make room for the DVD drive.

The final plan is to cut vent holes on both sides of the DVD to allow air to flow in under the motherboard and place a fan on the top-center of the case cover to draw air through and out the top. I might make a deflector to blow the air onto the back of the LCD display.

The DVD drive can slid in-n-out to align with the bezel, then be screwed down.

The back still needs a hole for the three power cables.
          Attached Files

Comment

Components

The component list requires a fair amount of thought on how and where.
            1. Wifi Connection (PCI)
            2. GPS Delorme-Earthmate (USB)
            3. Radio Shark (USB)
            4. OBDII Interface (Serial)
            5. LCD Touchscreen (USB)

Originally, I was thinking of cramming all the USB devices into the CPU box. But then realized I only have 2 internal USB ports and want those as external ports on the dashboard. The 2 other USB ports on the back of the system must then be used to address the 4 items listed above!

The Touchscreen is the most critical, so it will be plugged directly into the USB port on the motherboard. The other two will be attached to in an external hub.

Comment

Nice...that wifi antenna might have issues tucked up in the dash...but it would be hot with an external magnetic antenna....

Keep up the good work!
              -WarDriver-
              Server Administrator
              Outdoor Nut

My DC to AC Inverter Mod
              My Laptop Remote Switch

Comment

nice, keeping an eye on this..
                Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

Comment

fab works looks to be good, at least from the shots provided!

congrats!
                  Jan Bennett
                  FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Originally posted by WarDriver
                    that wifi antenna might have issues tucked up in the dash
                    Keep up the good work!
                    FM will be routed to the original antenna on the car's front fender. All the remaining antennas (AM, GPS and WiFi) will be routed into the trunk and through the trunk lid, into the leg of the spoiler, and up into the spoiler itself. I was thinking of cutting an access panel in the bottom of the spoiler and mounting them all on the inside.

Comment

watch for water collecting on the inside of the spoiler. would have to seal it off 100% otherwise you will run into big issues.
                      Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Originally posted by cliffloehr
                        FM will be routed to the original antenna on the car's front fender. All the remaining antennas (AM, GPS and WiFi) will be routed into the trunk and through the trunk lid, into the leg of the spoiler, and up into the spoiler itself. I was thinking of cutting an access panel in the bottom of the spoiler and mounting them all on the inside.
                        You should get the cobra r spoiler (3 piece) if ur gonna do this...it will be easy to gain access to the inside of it and it looks sweet. Costly, but if ur gonna do that, u should do a complete conversion and either go for the cobra r front or the cervinis stalker front and sides (i had that on my previous car along with the kaminari rear and nothing beat that look).
                        PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
                        - Alpine W200/H701
                        - ED Nine.2X
                        - OZ Matrix Elites
                        - ED Nine.1
                        - Idmax 12's

Comment

Originally posted by 3onDubs
                          cobra r spoiler
                          I'm sure your right... but I have a problem adding flashy-type upgrades. Maybe it's because I saw a guy once who put all the Cobra ground effects, wheel hubs, and badging on his V6 mustang and did nothing to the engine. I did install official GT fog lights, dual exhaust, and GT MAG rims... but I'm avoiding all the "look" only type upgrades.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken you've got a fiberglass trunk and hood, just like my 03.

From my experience, XM and GPS work perfectly through the fiberglass, so those you can mount to the inside of the trunk lid.

Dunno about the AM and WiFi, but give it a shot.
                            Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

Comment

Originally posted by cliffloehr
                              I'm sure your right... but I hate people who try and make their V6 mustangs look like Cobras! I did install official GT fog lights, add dual exhaust, and GT MAG rims... but I'm avoiding all the ground effects and "look" only type upgrades.
                              A MEN!

That's one of the biggest posur moves a person can do.

also, Sat. rad. works from beneath cowls, etc. had a sat rad ant. installed under the plastic cowl of the truck for something like 7 years and it worked perfectly fine.
                              Jan Bennett

Comment

Working...
                              X