No announcement yet.

95 Ram...12" touchscreen indash

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 Ram...12" touchscreen indash

Hello all,

This is my first attempt at a carputer install. Hopefully it will end up as good as I hpoe it will.

So I guess I'll take you through what i've done so far.

Ok here is what I have to work with...This is where the 12 incher is going.

I found a dash bezel at the junkers for 5 bucks and it was better than mine so I cut up the original one (the original one was all messed up by the guy who helped himself to my old stereo)

Then I made this for the screen to go into.

My Worklog

My Worklog

There is still ALOT more work to do with the screen mount but that is all I have done for now.

On to the computer.

So I needed a case...something stong, cheap ,and look like it belongs in the cab of my truck. Heres what I used.

An hour or two of dremel work and i got all the partitions removed and cut the hole for the I/O Sheild

The I/O sheild fit good but some hot gule and it wasn't going anywhere.
      My Worklog

I also cut a hole for the psu fan and wifi plug.

Here are some of the other parts of the system

and I have a magnetic wifi anttena that goes on the roof.

ok Back to the computer. Here is the case with the motherboard psu and hard drive in it.
        My Worklog

I cut a little hole by the handle and added a switch to turn it on
          I also put a LED there because when you turn a computer on a light should go on, that is just the way it is.

My Worklog

Very cool idea with the DeWalt case.

Try RevFE
            The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

So now that I had it all together I had to test it out.
              Here is my lab/shop/christmas tree storage.

While testing in the clean room something bizzare happend and my hard drive caught on fire. Good thing it was an old 40 giger

So I replaced it. First I replaced it with a 10 gig 2.5 inch hdd

But I didn't like that so I put in a counterfit seagate drive I got stuck with off of Ebay. Oh well it's 200 gigs and it works.
              My Worklog

well here it is up and running. I put it in my truck and drove around abit it worked great. I just had the screen in my lap for now but I wanted to see if the gps was was....and it was cool.

Well thats all for now I will keep you guys up to date.
                My Worklog

I'm liking it so far! Especially the case, since I too used a tool case. Mine was from a Panasonic drill, which just happened to be the same size as my mobo, with less than 1/4" clearance on all sides.
                  {Xenarc 700TSV} {Celeron M 1.3 ghz} {ASUS mATX mobo w/CT479} {MX440 128mb AGP} {1x512mb RAM} {3.5" Seagate 40gb (rated at 350 G's)} {M1-ATX}

MY INSTALLATION LOG

Thanks guys. I actually put a lot of thought into the case and the drill case was perfect. It's big enough , It's strong , It's portable, and I have a few of them with no drills to put in them.
                    My Worklog

any new pics of it mounted yet?

Well I'm Stalled right now because the touchscreen function of my LCD is not working. If I can not get it working again I am not going to install it, I don't know if I can get another one, if I can't I'll have to find another large touchscreen and adjust the mount.

Thank you for the interest.
                        My Worklog

That is a neat way to install the motherboard. I supposed your going to power it off an inverter. I also like the monitor housing good work , and smart getting a junker too.. Did you get the Holux GPS of Ebay? What software are you using for NAV?
                          2000 Excursion 4x4 Limited V10
                          Generic DVD
                          2 7" Headrest monitors
                          Acorp 7km400QP 2500+ 1GB DDR400 - m1ATX
                          Delorme Earthlink GPS
                          7" TS

That's awesome....sometimes I could go back in time to when I bought my car and picked something that would house a bigger screen.... oh well.

What did you make the screen bezel out of?

The bezel is made out of wood, fibeglass and Bondo.
                              My Worklog