Another 2005 Mustang

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another 2005 Mustang

I'm about a quarter of way through my install and thought I would share some pics.. I'll give out details of my PC when I am finished as I am still gathering components as I go.. Here are the pics:

Thanks to Joe for the great idea he provided us on his install. You can see Joe's install here

looking good. any way you could squeeze a dvd rom in there?
    Current:
    [BMW E46 ///M3 Convertible]

Previous:
    [BMW E31 850CSi]|[BMW E39 535i]|[BMW HVAC Research]|[IBUS Scrolling Text]|[BMPuter]|[Velocity]|[TomTom]|[Vision]|[Space Navigator Driver]|[Super Fast Boot]

Comment

Originally posted by sama View Post
      looking good. any way you could squeeze a dvd rom in there?
      As of yet, no.. Until I tear the car apart, I won't know how much room I have to play with. I'm def. looking into a slim line DVD ROM..

Comment

Looking great! There is ton of room behind that dash. I started to put the PC behind the dash but then saw how long the cable was that came with my LCD screen (13 feet) and decided to move the CPU to the trunk. I know the dash is pretty easy to take apart, compared to previous cars I've own, but 13 feet of cable? I didn't want to cut or make a custom cable. Turns out that the connector lands directly under the shifter boot so if I need to disable the system then I can just pull the boot and disconnect the monitor cable. Anyways, good luck with your install, keep us informed.

Mike

Comment

How hard was it to recolate the screen and whatnot. Did you have to que new wires and stuff??

Thanks,

FR

Comment

I managed to just mod the LCD case a little, move the LCD buttons to the back of the case (hot glue) then hot glue the LCD case to the Metra double-din kit. Then run the video and power cables to the trunk for the PC. I have the factory radio's key power (+) running to the back as a signal wire. That way, the amp, PC, and LCD all stay on until the door is opened just like the factory setup. The signal wire acts as the amps remote turn on, the PC's remote turn on, and acutally powers the LCD directly. So I think a total of 4 wires were run and some RCA cables for the factory amp (shaker system) and that's it. I ran everything under the console, under the capet between the console and the rer seat and then under the rear seat to the trunk. I've got a ton of slack right now but I will soon either cut out the slack or move the PC to the far back passenger side corner (the video cable even reaches there with slack)! Let me know if you need any more help or explination.

Mike

Comment

Which LCD screen are you using with that kit?

Comment

It was this one:

http://dynamixcomputers.com/7_dynamix_ultra_bright.html

Here's a couple of pics of the modififactions I did. I wound up just cutting the button section off of the front hald of the case. Moving the buttons to the back of the case. I can still actually use the remote if I hold it down just below the dash near the back of the console. I've been thinking of moving the IR receiver to the front but just havn't had any reason to remove the LCD since it was installed.

The inside of the monitor was very nice and clean, and everything seemed seperated into modules, USB, LCD, VGA controller. Nice layout and easy to mode.

Mike
                Attached Files

Comment

Looks awesome Sonic! Looks like you went with the super touchscreen also from your pics. Im glad my build has inspired your's and I appricate the props in the beginning of your thread. This is really cool watching your build as its very similar, but I already see things you did a little bit different that are better. For instance the use of 2 dowels instead of 3 for mounting the TS controller board. What MoBo are you going to run?? Im really looking foward to seeing this built up. Any questions or problems hit me up. Hope your enjoying the mustang! It only gets better with the PC

-JOE
                  Build Things, it keeps your brain busy.

AutoPC v1 (Retired) - AutoPC v2 (in progress) - www.shocknet.us

Comment

Listen to blk02si, his install was my inspiration. I've already told my wife it was all his fault!!!

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by blk02si View Post
                      Looks awesome Sonic! Looks like you went with the super touchscreen also from your pics. Im glad my build has inspired your's and I appricate the props in the beginning of your thread. This is really cool watching your build as its very similar, but I already see things you did a little bit different that are better. For instance the use of 2 dowels instead of 3 for mounting the TS controller board. What MoBo are you going to run?? Im really looking foward to seeing this built up. Any questions or problems hit me up. Hope your enjoying the mustang! It only gets better with the PC
                      -JOE
                      Thanks and no problem, Joe.. My MB should be coming today. It's Pentium M with 1.4 GHz, 1G RAM, 5.1 surround, and 3D vid. For testing purposes, I'm using a 2.5" HD. But this MB has a 40 SSD port which allow me to install my OS on a 3 GIG DOM (Disk on Module) when they release it. All my other applications and files will go on a separate HD.

Actually, the use of 2 dowels was my error. I wasn't paying attention to your build and didn't notice until I was done putting it together. But then I realized it probably is better to use 2 because the amount of room which maybe needed to reach parts of the MB. The other thing that will be different is I'll probably install the OPUS PS on the top cover as it's a bit bigger than the M2 PS. I want to be sure the PS is securely installed so I don't short the electrical. With the amount of room in the center console, I'm sure I can find a spot for the HD.

Comment

From the looks of things you should have that up and running soon! Great fab work. I mounted my m2 on top of the cover plate also. Nice choice on the motherboard! I wish I would have went with something with a bit more power but I still have love for the via, has not failed me yet. Are you going to implement a true 5.1 surround? Like a six channel amp? That would be amazing. Ive got 2 amps in my setup but its a standard 4 speaker, 1 sub setup. Make sure to take pics of the DOM unit, Ive been reading about these and it seems to be a great way to have a 'flashed' OS install. Keep up the great work.

Comment

Couple of more test phase pics:

I know it looks like total chaos with all the wires. That's because it is I'm still waiting for a couple of more hardware components. As of now, everything is being test benched. I will then configure the software to work the way I need it to. Then my last battle will be configuring the OPUS PSU to work with the ignition.

This is one hell of project.. BTW, sorry about the LCD screen blur..

Comment

I remember when my table looked like that! Spaghetti! Its all part of the fun. Also in regards to the power supply im not sure how OPUS works but I can tell you the M2ATX shutdown/startup is easy to configure. It takes about 10 seconds to configure, seriously. Project is looking very complete, you really got it together fast! Any ideas on what software you going to run?

Comment

i wonder if that bezel will work with a saturn, its a GM with a double din, but Circuit City's site says it wont.
                              Cant code cause I dont know how, but give me the paint bucket and my eraser and have at you!

Comment

Working...
                              X