archimense's Audi S4 worklog

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• archimense's Audi S4 worklog

I decided to start a worklog for my second carputer. I don't plan on doing any of this quickly, so expect this to be a slow thread.

The car is a 2001 Audi S4 all wheel drive twin turbo V6:

Currently I am thinking I will do a flush mount screen. The fold out screen I had in my last installation would bounce on bad roads. Here is what I have to work with.

The console in car:

The console with head unit cage:

The empty console:

I have been thinking about either a 7" or 8" touchscreen. If I go with a 7" I can just mold the screen bezel to a double din head unit installation kit and be done. If I use an 8" touchscreen then I would need to do some custom dash pieces to mount it. At the moment the 7" transflective screen that the MP3Car store sells is looking tempting

I will say this much. There is a HUGE difference in the viewable are between the 7 and the 8. I didn't think there would be. Too bad there's not an 8" TF option avaliable any time soon.
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Originally posted by Red GTi VR6 View Post
      I will say this much. There is a HUGE difference in the viewable are between the 7 and the 8. I didn't think there would be. Too bad there's not an 8" TF option avaliable any time soon.
      I noticed that last night when comparing the screen sizes. I'm really tempted by the 8", but after seeing the difference between a regular and transflective screen... I dunno....

Comment

In my application (which I know is different from yours) I don't really notice a need for it all that much.

HOWEVER, having said that, I will jump on an 8" transflective if it ever makes it out...lol
        Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

but ain't the transflective quality given by a film? can't it be added to any screen? i know that you can only get the 7" from mp3car.com, but there must be ways to get the film...
          Car PC progress: 60%
          Pics coming soon!!!

Comment

chomo - apparently the differences in the touch screens used by the 7 and the 8" monitors is what's causing the problem. I'm not sure of the exact differences, this is just what I have been told from the horses mouth.
            Jan Bennett

Comment

you can talk to horses!?

thats a nice car, my cousin has one, fack, i cant wait to have a car again

Comment

metra makes a perfect kit to use to install a 7" into your dash. Replaces the symphony II perfectly. Check my worklog.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=84854
                -----
                2006 Audi A4 S-Line. 70% Complete.
                My Worklog

Comment

Originally posted by geekinsc View Post
                  metra makes a perfect kit to use to install a 7" into your dash. Replaces the symphony II perfectly. Check my worklog.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=84854
                  I just ordered a Metra kit to see how well it fits. Metra only came out with a kit for the 2000-2002 Audi A4/S4 with Symphony II radio a few months ago. Before that you could only order the kit for 2003 and up which didn't fit properly.

Comment

Where can I get the Metra kit online for our 2000 S4?
                    Nogaro 2000 Audi S4 (Stage 3)
                    Black 2000 Audi S4 (Stage 1)

Comment

The Metra kit part number is 99-9105 and it is for 2000-2001 A4's and 2000-2002 S4's with the Sumphony II radio.

I bought mine from Installer.com but AudoOutfitter.com also had it.

It's a perfect fit, other Metra kits for the A4 are not a perfect kit.

Here is the link to Installer.com

http://www.installer-data.com/item/d...php?it=99-9105

Comment

Working...
                      X