1999 Chevy Corvette Convertable V02

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 Chevy Corvette Convertable V02

So I am well underway for my total system overhaul. The only thing that is the same are my tweeters and the computer. The amps, subs, door speakers, and 'soundcard' have been upgraded with far superior components.

The system will be laid out like this:

Car pc - m10000, 512 mb, 80 gb
    Sound processor - crystal dac; 122 s/n ratio, spdif in, balanced out
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89966
    Volume control - Joshua Tree logarithmic stepped attenuator
    http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/
    Active x-over - Phaze Audio LDX-23; Tube x-overdesigned by B.K. butler, balanced in/output
    Front Stage Amps - (2) Phaze Audio TD1500 Tube amps; 150wrms x2@ 4ohms, balanced input, dual mono block design
    Sub Amp - Zapco Reference 500.1; 500 wrms balanced input
    Front Stage mid bass - Elemental designs eu-700; x-overed for mid bass, powered with 150 wrms each
    Front Stage mid/high - CDT cl-41; 150 wrms
    Sub: JL Audio 12w7
    New System in progress:
    M10k
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
    Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
    Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
    Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
    My Boat Pc worklog

the amp rack has gone through a few full revisions. I have been very unhappy with my designs. My first amp rack won't ever be seen, i destroyed it. It had a flavor of myh old system but the amps just didn't look good with them so i tossed it out. I then added some more components and had to do a mojor rethink of the system... false floor here we come.

my first layout left something to be desired. again i tried a layout that was similar to my http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51708 but it didn't work:

i decided it needed some more 'flare' so I layed them out at some oposing angles:

i liked that so onto the facade. i originally thought that having the amps be flush with the floor; like the old design, would look great. what have we learned? THE NEW AMPS AREN'T LIKE THE OLD AMPS!! here is what it looked like:

yeah... ***

so then i decided to open it up a bit. i liked this look but something wasn't striking me:

i liked the lines but it was just too much going on. the lines of the amps didn't match the windows for the dac and car pc (you can see the car pc window in the lower right) there was just too much going on.

so i took the amp rack into my room and had Koda take a look at it

after a closer look he shook his head 'no'

so that design was tossed out as well.

Koda and i sat for a few more days just looking at the amp rack in my room. then it came to me. follow the lines of the trunk! so here i am today... happy:

I'll keep you updated as time goes on... there are a few finishing touches that you guys wont see until the final 'show off your project' thread... but the meat and potatos will be here.

oh .... and the x-over is off center because it's just resting there right now, not bolted down.
    New System in progress:
    M10k
    Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
    My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

reserved
      New System in progress:
      M10k
      Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
      My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

reserved
        New System in progress:
        M10k
        Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
        My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

I like your components. I am jealous...I bet it will sound amazing.

I love the ease of use of the Alpine but I really think its holding me back. I know I could get it to sound better but upgrading my processor to something what you have got puts me into another competition category...one that I am not ready to compete in just yet.

Go job ont he setup, I thought I was the only one who went back and forth on how I wanted it to look. At least your equipment matches unlike mine. I'll be checking out your progress.
          System always under construction

Comment

that's why i dont compete. I am in the same boat as you about the alpine. i had it for a while but i wasn't that happy with it... more asthetic reasons though. I dumped it and went with what i found suited me.

Thanks for your comments!
            New System in progress:
            M10k
            Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
            My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

FINALLY part of the custom car pc interface arrived:

i still have to paint the piece and i'm waiting for the custom cut buttons..but it's getting closer
              New System in progress:
              M10k
              Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
              My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

man... this sucks. i'm so indecisive about that amp rack. i think i'm going to end up hiding the x-over (the thing between the amps) and everything else so all you see are the amps and the subwoofer. if anyone is reading this, maybe you could give me some ideas about mounting those amps. if they were freakin rectangles i'd have this thing done by now...but the shape of those amps just is kickinng my ***.
                New System in progress:
                M10k
                Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

What is the stepped attenuator for, main volume control or adjusting the sub level?

Also, as far as the amp config, do you have to keep them below a certain height for the top to fold down? What are your mounting limitations?
                  1999 Black Pontiac Trans Am
                  CarPC's in F-bodies
                  How To Relocate Climate Controls on the 97-02 F-body Cars
                  (AMD Sempron 3000+, Opus 150)
                  Car PC system is out, Alpine system is in.

Comment

the stepped attenuator is for the main volume control. since the dac i'm using is mainly used for high end oem equipment (i have a dev. board) there isn't any volume control, adjusting volume on the pc isn't optimal so my only solution was to use a volume control for an amplifier. Since my attenutor isn't housed in the amp's chassis i opted for one that uses the digital world to control the attenuator. this then allow me to remote mount the volume pot away from the dac w/o a hit in sq.

as for limitations; i can't go any higher then 1/8" above the amp. Over the weekend though, i did come up with a solution that i'm very pleased with. I ended up with the same layout as the last picture but i dropped the walls of the amp rack down, lowering the overall height of the false floor. now the amps sit half below the floor and stick up where the second 'tier' of the amp rises up. I think it looks really good. i think i may be happy with this. I also decided to hide all the other equipment except the x-over, and the two tube amps.

I do have one possible modification. I had talked to veritasforge about making a custom pc case out of aluminum to place between the amps (where the x-over lives now).

The design would be based off of the new image dynamics x-overs:

i think it'd be an awesome case (veritas does amazing work!) but i'm not sure if it'll fit in with the amps.

what do you think?
                    New System in progress:
                    M10k
                    Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                    My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Well, if you've seen my F-body thread you'll know I can come up with some crazy ideas.

First, do you have an overall theme in mind? My guess is your going for a clean, unclutterd, almost sterile look. You want symetry, but without going overboard.

My first thought would be to not have that case made. Why not order an amplifier case from Phaze Audio and place your x-over under it? Then you would have what appears to be 3 amps that would all match. It looks like it would fit, but it may be close.

Definetely show the whole amp, not just the tops. I would also suggest beveling the rack around the amp edges. Having it be flat on top and then just drop 90* down just doesn't seem to flow. You could do a 45* bevel or if space is a limitation a simple roundover bevel. Just something to break up the hard lines.

(I'll remove this pic later if you want, just let me know)
                      Attached Files
                      CarPC's in F-bodies

Comment

you read my mind, the theme is pretty much what you had stated. i want clean and classy.

Unfortinately phaze isn't in business anymore, these amps were actually made by bk butler, but he only fixes these now...he won't be able to get another amp shroud (if you look at my original install you can see i went that route before)

The new design won't cover up the whole amp (maybe that was a missunderstanding) the whole amp will be exposed, but the tops are goign to rise above the floor. it's hard to visualize but it actually looks good to me in my mock up. I do like your smoked plexi/lights idea. i had originally thought about adding some lights to accent the amps, so i think you may have nailed it. and i'm definately going to take your suggestion about routing the edges with a nice 1/4 round.

It's hard to see it, but the walls in the pic above are at about a 60 degree angle; but yeah, you have it right going with a nice bevel. it'll make the whole piece look sturdier too. the top piece is 1/8" hardboard, i bet with a nice piece of 1/2 under it and routed will give the impression of a beefier install w/o the added weight.

tthanks for the good ideas
                        New System in progress:
                        M10k
                        Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                        My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

See, I thought they weren't in business. I was thinking maybe they were since you got 2 identical ones.

I was thinking of getting one of those amps myself just for the cool factor. I've heard they sound great as well.

Well, if you have the money, you could buy a 3rd amp and then use the shroud and save the internals as a spare.

I know you said you wanted to expose the whole amp, I was just agreeing with you. That is the way to go.

Where is your Zapco amp?
                          CarPC's in F-bodies

Comment

it's hidden :-) originally it was going to go in that empty space; between the amps and below the x-over, with a fan over it. that is no longer possible because the height of the false floor wont allow a stealth installation. I did however find out that it will fit in one of the 3 storage compartments that i have in the back (there is one big one in the rear center section; that'll be for the sub, then two smaller ones on each side) the other storage compartment will house the dac and motherboard. Each one of these compartments will have a cooling fan built into them to avoid overheating.

I do want to take the time to thank you for your valuable input, it's helping me hash out some of the design.
                            New System in progress:
                            M10k
                            Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                            My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Originally posted by scott_fx View Post
                              I do want to take the time to thank you for your valuable input, it's helping me hash out some of the design.
                              Hey, that was like 5 minutes thought. I've been working on mine for like 6 months. That's just thinking of ideas and stuff and letting it evolve. Right now I'm up to a building a massive 13"x46" Rockford Amp to deliver 1200Wx2 to my subs with a stained wood front. Then a pair of 13" conga shells (Oak) for the subs to mount in also with a matching stained wood finish. Even a matching wood steering wheel. It's crazy.

OK, back to you. The top is pretty limiting, well the whole car is actually, as it's pretty small. Are the tube amps fan cooled? Is the top going to interferre with the cooling?

If getting a 3rd amp isn't feasable then having something custom made looks like the way to go. I don't know about that x-over design as it seems overly simplistic. Do you think someone could take some sheetmetal and roll it to match the shape of the amp covers? That's mainly what you need. Even without the tiny holes, just the shape and some silkscreening that matches the amps in some close way should look nice.

I see 2 ways to go. Make the cover exactly the same size and use a copy of the silkscreening.

Or to make the cover noticable different with it own unique lettering. It could be inspired by the amp cover. Such as a rectangular shape, but with a shorter top hump that simply evokes the thought and spirit on the amp covers.

You could even make the custom cover more square shaped to better fit the x-over.

Either way, definetely have the finish color match. Is that possible? What finish do the amps have?
                              CarPC's in F-bodies

Comment

Working...
                              X