Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabriolet + MacMini + StreetDeck

Hey All,

I have finally kicked off my Carputer Project. I will start posting pictures of our progress soon. After much debate with co-workers (we are going to reproduce our efforts on 3 or 4 cars at the office), we have decided to run the following:

- Macintosh Mini 1.66 / 512M / 60Gb current "base" model
    - Windows XP Pro via BootCamp
    - StreetDeck
    - Fixed Double-Din mounted Transflective Touchscreen (still shopping)
    - Carnetix P2140 w/Mac Mini Cable & USB Management Software
    - Sirius SIR-ALP1 w/RUSH2112.net USB Interface
    - ccStick Input Device
    - Valentine 1 Virtual Radar Display (when cables become available again)
    - Bluetooth Hands free (when available for Streetdeck)
    - Cingular UMTS/HSDPA 3G data connection
    - USB external storage (250Gb+) for Media

We will be installing the first system in my Porsche Carrera 2 Cabriolet. Work will begin this weekend by re-locating the Porsche's A/C controlls to the lower console, scoping out the wiring, & taking measurements for the LCD fabrication.

We have settled on the Macintosh Mini for a few reasons:
    - Its a nice tight formfactor for a Core Duo platform
    - Great Bang for the Buck ($599 for a Core Duo system that includes Optical Audio)
    - They were built to be used with a Remote PowerSupply
    - We want the cool "Apple" sticker <SmirK>

We have no plans to leverage OS-X, but we plan on leaving it on the drive so that we can dual-boot if we ever had the desire to play around with the native Mac features.

We picked up the first Mini yesterday and got it running on our bench. It took about 2 hours to get it setup with a 32Gb Windows Partition running XP. We installed XP Pro, Mappoint 2006, Drivers for the SIRF USB GPS, StreetDeck, and a few other misc. applications.

Parts On the way: Sirius , Power Supply, StreetDeck, Lilliput 8" Monitor (For Bench Testing)

I'll start with pictures when they get interesting.......

Originally posted by DiscoBayJoe View Post
    - Macintosh Mini 1.66 / 512M / 60Gb current "base" model
    - Windows XP Pro via BootCamp
    - StreetDeck
    - Fixed Double-Din mounted Transflective Touchscreen (still shopping)
    - Carnetix P2140 w/Mac Mini Cable & USB Management Software
    - Sirius SIR-ALP1 w/RUSH2112.net USB Interface
    - ccStick Input Device
    - Valentine 1 Virtual Radar Display (when cables become available again)
    - Bluetooth Hands free (when available for Streetdeck)
    - Cingular UMTS/HSDPA 3G data connection
    - USB external storage (250Gb+) for Media
    Didn't even know about this ccStick - god that's a good idea. It'd be great if Streetdeck could have native support for that.

I also like the MacMini idea with Bootcamp. It costs a ton more then an iTX, but you could always pull it out and use it as a regular computer if all else fails.

Does Streetdeck have Sirius support?

Good luck and hope all turns out well.

Comment

Only 32Gb partition? You will definately need more space. Or at least I would with my 200+Gb of media!
      Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
      1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
      30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
      15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
      Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Part's are showing up!

User "nakinney" has recently released a Sirius DigitalMod for StreetDeck. You'll find it in the streetdeck subforum for Digital Mods. The screenshots look great and it loaded right up for a dry-run under Demo mode. My SIR-ALP1 arrived today, so i'm just waiting for the rush2112 cable for a live run! Sirius is my #1 priority for the entertainment side of the CarPC.

32Gb is the maximum Fat32 partition that can be mounted as Read/Write if/when the system boots into OS-X. Today I loaded a couple gigs of MAME Rom's onto the bench unit for fun. I plan on using an external drive (USB) for the mass media store.

Sofar, So Good!

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoBayJoe View Post
          User "nakinney" has recently released a Sirius DigitalMod for StreetDeck. You'll find it in the streetdeck subforum for Digital Mods. The screenshots look great and it loaded right up for a dry-run under Demo mode. My SIR-ALP1 arrived today, so i'm just waiting for the rush2112 cable for a live run! Sirius is my #1 priority for the entertainment side of the CarPC.

32Gb is the maximum Fat32 partition that can be mounted as Read/Write if/when the system boots into OS-X. Today I loaded a couple gigs of MAME Rom's onto the bench unit for fun. I plan on using an external drive (USB) for the mass media store.

Sofar, So Good!
          Ok sounds better!

Although since it is a mac, isn't there a firewire port on it seeing as how it is a mac proprietary port!

Faster than USB if you will be storing video on it too.
          Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
          1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
          30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
          15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
          Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Project Update - Parts in / Mule

Hey All,

I figured i'd post a few "before" shots and some pics of the components on the "bench" (actually, kitchen counter, to the dismay of my girlfriend):

The Car:

The Current DASH:

I am going to remove the CD holder in the bottom half of the dash and move the A/C controls down.

I think an 8" will fit, but we'll know as I pull it all apart. I want the monitor to install clean with no bezel behind the factory surround:

Since this is a Convertible, I want the install to be as stealth as possible. I was originally thinking the Mac Mini would go under the hood where the factory changer lived, but I think it'll work excellent in the glovebox:

I have most everything working, but i"ve decided I need a full GIG of ram (currently 512Mb). I have 30A 110V->12V power supply I am going to use to get the carnetix supply going on the bench this week. I'm also going to work on an orange/black skin so it will match the dash of the Porsche.

More as it comes.....

Comment

does the 02 use the MOST system?
              Jan Bennett
              FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Originally posted by RedGTiVR6 View Post
                does the 02 use the MOST system?
                No, 2002 is the last year without MOST. The car does have a BOSE system that is mediocre but will do for the first pass. The final solution will include a speaker/amp retrofit. I don't plan on leaving the head unit anyhow. It'll be 100% CarPC.

Comment

Move the climate controls to under the VDO CD Holder so you free up all the space ontop of the headunit
                  Just like in the Image Below

For Bootscreens click Here

Comment

Cool Photoshop. I plan on moving it one notch up from where you moved it so I can retain the little pocket (it fits my cellphone perfect). I don't use the CD holder (who needs CD's?)

Comment

Ok,

I pulled dash apart today to start measuring for the fabrication:

After measuring everything I started to put it back. Uh-Oh:

Now i'm going to have to actually finish! (Since I don't have the code and don't feel like paying to have it reset).

8" is going to fit no problem!

I also got the Sirius DigitalMod for Streetdeck up and working on the bench and everything is running on the Carnetix PS, so i'm ready to get the install underway.

Comment

Beautiful, keep up the fantastic work!

I am building a macmini carputer currently as well. I am going to interface it with the Audi Nav+ system, and alpha testing has revealed that apart from some rez issues, it will indeed work! I will keep and eye on your progress, and hopefully it will inspire me to get mine done soon as well. My goal is a final date of Feb.1.2007.

I already have, and am using the following components:
                        MacMini 60g intel duo-core
                        Dietz 1417
                        Carnetix CNX-P1900 Ver. 2.2 Dual Output 140 Watt 12V DC-DC Regulator
                        MacPac Power Cable Kit
                        Griffin powermate controller
                        Griffin iMic (for voice prompts)
                        AUDI A3 2.0TFSI

Audi RNS-E Nav+
                        MacMini 60g intel duo-core
                        Dietz 1417
                        Carnetix CNX-P1900 Ver. 2.2 Dual Output 140 Watt
                        MacPac Power Cable Kit
                        Griffin powermate controller
                        Griffin iMic (for voice prompts)

Comment

The Fabrication Begins

OK, So I started the day by completing the A/C relocation and stripping the rest of the dash (trim ring and cubby not installed in this photo):

I then took the entire dash cluster inside for sizing:

The next step was to pull apart the 8" lilliput. Here's the empty casing:

I don't need the buttons any more because i have used the code to hack it to auto-on. I used the following:

From Remote: 588998 Starts Programming Mode

Enter code: 001 0 2 1 1 for On Memory w/ Audio & English Only

ok, so with that out of the way, I used double-sided tape and some hardwood floor felt to affix the video board to the back of the screen. I mounted the control board towards the edge so that the connector didn't stick out on the other side.

And now that the monitor is out of its case, I can confirm that it will fit in the factory opening!

I had a 2DIN bezel laying around from a Kenwood head unit. I layed it over the top of the blank screen and the width was perfect! unfortunatly it covers up a bit of the screen top-to-bottom. At this resolution it was about the height of the task bar that would end up hidden under the bezel. Too bad, as that would have made things REALLY easy.

This should give you a good idea just how much taller it is than a commercal 2DIN headunit. I put the lilliput frame over the Kenwood Frame. Should give you an idea of how much would get cut off if I used it:

To make sure the monitor still worked, I fired it up just to test. Success!

The hardest part of the disassembly was figuring out that you have to flip up the little white part on the ribbon cable connector where it connects to the flat panel. I almost broke it by tugging, but as you can see, it still works!

Porsche makes different main housing for use with 2DIN radios which I have on the way. Hopefully next weekend I will get the monitor mounted and begin to measure for the final bezel.

Comment

Ok, I switched the photos over to Flicker..... They should work now!

Comment

links dont work for me
                              cashtexts - Earn money for receiving text messaged offers
                              cashtexts review not a scam
                              Space Navigator - 6 Axis input device: Take it apart - Driver App
                              RRCam - Video/webcam capture, text overlay, and recording: 2.0 Stable

Comment

Working...
                              X