VW Golf 3 GTI car pc introduction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VW Golf 3 GTI car pc introduction

Hi everyone. I'm new here and I want to start my thread about mounting 7" LCD screen in to my car. At the moment I'm buying stuff needed for that project.
    List:
    - EPIA 10000 - check
    - 256 DDR RAM - check
    - 40GB Seagate Barracuda ATA100 HDD - check
    - 7" Lilliput EBY701 - buying
    - Power inverter - buying
    - Bluetooth USB dongle - check
    - RS232 IR for Girder (Pilot for pc)- check
    - USB or BT GPS - buying

In my country 7" touch screen is expensive, the price starts from $400, so I tray to buy it on ebay.com. My friend agree to buy it for my and sent it to mi.
    I'm interesting in this model:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/LILLIPUT-7-TOUCH...QQcmdZViewItem

Now some photos where I want to put LCD and dimensions:

I will tray to do something like this:

i just receive my EBY701, it look nice, screen is nice (sharp and light), at the moment one minus is poor quality stylus, i use different one
    overall i thing it is a good choice, some fresh photos from my samsung d-500 (poor quality because is was dark)

Comment

Moved to worklogs, as this is not a completed project.
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

That color scheme is awesome! I am totally new to CarPC's, but would that be your "front end" that has all the buttons and VW logo?

If so, then which one is it? And does the phone thing acutally work (ala bluetooth to your cell phone?)

Comment

Yes, this frond and is RoadRunner and the skin i use is VWBLUE.
          At the moment a just plug lcd with my laptop only music, dvd, video and gps works. I have pionner deh-p55bt with bluetooth so i don't thing i will be using my phone with carpc. But i will check it out in a free time
          Now i'm waiting on power inverter to plug everything together.

Comment

why an inverter? why not just go with a DC-DC PSU? it would make your life much easier.
            Jan Bennett
            FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

1) I have in mind pluging other stuff like psx so the power inverter will be better
              2) I don't now where to buy it in my country

Comment

with all of the carPC online stores popping up all over the place...I'm sure there's a place over there...and of course, there's always shipping....

inverters have their own issues...having to use switches to turn everything on, noise issues, etc.
                Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

How much cost good DC-DC converter?
                  I can have power inverter 300W for about $40 with shipping.
                  I don't have any store with carpc stuff in my contry and payment for items both from other country's are expensive and hard form me to do.

Comment

you really should check on the issues you're going to run into with running an inverter.

There's a reason people go with DC-DC PSUs, even though they are a bit more expensive than inverters.

Inverters have all kinds of problems in the car when running a carpc.

You get in, you turn the car on, you have to flip a switch to turn the inverter on, wait a few seconds for things to even out, then flip a switch to boot the computer, then when you get out of the car, tell the computer to boot down, wait for it to finish, then flip a switch to turn the inverter off. If you have amps, etc you have to run another switch and flip all of your accessories on manually...

when for $90 new you can have a M1, and you can have them cheaper if you buy used.

It's just not worth it...if you're going to put a PC in your car, you're going to be spending some money in the first place. Skimp in the smarter areas, not in the power supply area.

Also, you have to consider the fact that you're having to pay for a PSU on top of the inverter...where as a DC-DC PSU completely replaces both of them...you need to factor that into your cost.
                    Jan Bennett

Comment

But he is running a laptop, why would he be buying another power suppy like the M1? Anyway, I did use a Kensington auto/air adapter on mine (keeping it DC). I got it for almost nothing on ebay. You could probably use that for both the PC and and the PSX if you dont use them at the same time. Add a switch to transfer power between the two.

Best of luck with the install!
                      Mike M
                      2006 Accord VP Sedan

My worklog
                      http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...-dads-car.html

Comment

mwmcginn i don't use laptop, just on the photo i plug laptop because at the moment i don't have power suppy
                        RedGTiVR6 u are right, but i check my local stores and polish internet stores and nobody have dc-dc converters so i buy power inverter. I now person who have that power inverter and everything work fine.
                        About starting everything, i think it will be after plug car key, and after then i can turn on carpc or radio. When i take out key everything is turn off. I now i will have to turn on manually pc, but for the moment i'm starting with all of that so i think in the future will be some upgrades

Comment

so every time you get out of your car you will just be pulling power from the PC and not shutting it down properly?

I don't know how long your operating system is going to las.
                          Jan Bennett

Comment

no i will have to hibernate it first, i'm thinking about some system that check if key is plug in (power on specific port) and if not connect pins for turn on/off pc (xp configure to hibernate after power button push) and shot down the pc with time delay.

Comment

At the moment i have all staff, but now time to put it in my car.
                              PC is working on WinXP Pro Mini 2.1 PL and is fest (minimum 64MB of ram required)
                              I will put some new info when i start mounting everything in the car.

Comment

Working...
                              X