X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P5USB: Automotive 4-Port USB Hub with Power Regulator Plus*

P5USB on the mp3Car Store
    Attached Files
    Suggestions or Comments on the forums? Post here.

mp3Car store order questions or products that you would like to sell on the store? Email store @ mp3car.com

Feel free to pm me if you:
    • Have a general comment on mp3Car's products or services
    • Have a product you would like to have tested by the mp3Car community
    • Have a file you would like mp3Car to host
    • Have a cool idea that would improve the forums

A Couple of questions about the P5USB

Wow, the P5USB is very nice! A nice rugged construction that you would expect from USB. The case has a very OEM look to it, and looks like an existing module that you would find under the dash of a vehicle from the factory.

The PDF file states that there is a jumper to set to either remain in for 5 minutes, or 25 minutes. I could not seem to locate the jumper on the outside, so I removed the 4 Phillips screws. Inside on the circuit board, I am able to see 2 jumpers, with 3 pin headers each. What are the settings to set for (No / 5 Min / 25) Min power delay?

Here is an image of the jumpers:

Also the PDF states with that jumper in place it will remain powered while the PC is on. Does this mean if I go into a store, and the PC hibernates, that the USB will power off? Or will it remain on even after the PC shuts off. It would be nice to remain on for that 25 min, even if the PC shuts down /hibernates, so when ya get back in and restart the car, the GPS will still have a lock with the power from the P4USB remaining on.
    Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by JohnWPB View Post
      Wow, the P5USB is very nice! A nice rugged construction that you would expect from USB. The case has a very OEM look to it, and looks like an existing module that you would find under the dash of a vehicle from the factory.

The PDF file states that there is a jumper to set to either remain in for 5 minutes, or 25 minutes. I could not seem to locate the jumper on the outside, so I removed the 4 Phillips screws. Inside on the circuit board, I am able to see 2 jumpers, with 3 pin headers each. What are the settings to set for (No / 5 Min / 25) Min power delay?

Here is an image of the jumpers:

Also the PDF states with that jumper in place it will remain powered while the PC is on. Does this mean if I go into a store, and the PC hibernates, that the USB will power off? Or will it remain on even after the PC shuts off. It would be nice to remain on for that 25 min, even if the PC shuts down /hibernates, so when ya get back in and restart the car, the GPS will still have a lock with the power from the P4USB remaining on.
      Seems sort of obvious to me... the left jumper is to determine how the device turns on. Top (like the pic) is when the USB line is powered. Bottom is by IGN. The right jumper, one of them is 5min, one of them is 25min.
      2001 Mustang Convertible Worklog
      Indigo Custom Frontend (Flash/Delphi)
      Blog

Qube v1.3 Now Available at the mp3Car Store!!!!!!
      The simplest IO controller you'll ever use!

Comment

Originally posted by colin View Post
        Seems sort of obvious to me... the left jumper is to determine how the device turns on. Top (like the pic) is when the USB line is powered. Bottom is by IGN. The right jumper, one of them is 5min, one of them is 25min.
        seems clear.. but i have the right jumper on the 5 minute setting and the hub turns off with my ignition. Is this because the left jumper overrides the right jumper? Its actually GREAT that it works this way because any device that has problems with hibernation can be connected to this hub.. and when then ignition is turned off the usb device will "disconnect" before hibernation. I LOVE this thing! Gonna take the time this afternoon to write my full review
        mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
        Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
        Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

John, I attached a snapshot of the default jumper settings. The way it is configured by default it means that the hub will start up/shutdown with the USB bus. The off-delay is set for Short, which means that the Hub will turn off a few seconds after your USB bus turns off.

The off-delay jumper (JP2) will determine when the hub turns off AFTER the shutdown indicator voltage goes low (USB Bus or Ignition as configured by JP1).

So for example, if you have the hub configured (JP2) at Medium and JP1 is set at USB then once your PC hibernates your hub will turn off 5 minutes after your USB bus turns off (the computer is going either into hibernate or shutdown).

We'll do a video on the hub tomorrow and post it probably on thursday or friday.

What kind of devices do you have connected to the hub by the way?
          Attached Files

Comment

Is this because the left jumper overrides the right jumper?
            There are 3 settings for JP2:

-S=turns off with either ignition of USB bus
            -M=5 min off delay after IGN or USB is off
            -L=25 min off delay after IGN or USB is off

The medium off-delay is when you put the jumper on the bottom 2 pins on JP2 (if you have the hub positioned as it is in the pics above)

The long off-delay is when the pins on JP2 are not jumpered.

Comment

Originally posted by colin View Post
              Thanks for trying to help, but...Seems sort of obvious? Just by looking at jumpers I certainly cant tell what they do As for the "right jumper" One is 5 and one is 25? That's not too much help heheh

Originally posted by ecog View Post
              There are 3 settings for JP2:

-S=turns off with either ignition of USB bus
              -M=5 min off delay after IGN or USB is off
              -L=25 min off delay after IGN or USB is off

The medium off-delay is when you put the jumper on the bottom 2 pins on JP2 (if you have the hub positioned as it is in the pics above)

The long off-delay is when the pins on JP2 are not jumpered.
              Cool! Thanks! So one isn't 5 and the other 25. Removing the jumper, or single pinning to the end is what enables the 25 minutes. That's what I was looking for. Far better than hooking up the power and waiting up to 26 minutes to see whats what
              Front End of Choice: Ride Runner (Is there anything else??? ) & Powered by the DFX5.1 Skin Available in the Mobile App Mart

My Fiero Build Thread

Comment

It is a very nice unit (from what I've seen), but to exploit Carputer Users with a price-tag like that is a shame. I owe a few Carnetix DC-DC regulators, but sadly will not buy one of these.

Shame on you, guys.
                F6 Tornado Project Log ; HP Blackbird Watercooled Server

Beta Tester for Centrafuse and 3dConnexion (No business affiliation with either)

Comment

Originally posted by mrbean_phillip View Post
                  It is a very nice unit (from what I've seen), but to exploit Carputer Users with a price-tag like that is a shame. I owe a few Carnetix DC-DC regulators, but sadly will not buy one of these.

Shame on you, guys.
                  Exploitation is when you take advantage of a situation by getting something of greater value than you are paying for it. Since you don't plan on buying this unit, I don't see where the exploitation takes place.

The market for this product is small. The price will naturally be higher. If it is too much, don't buy it.

What would you consider a reasonable price to be? Remember that this is not just a 12v USB hub but a regulated, multivoltage input with timer settings and full 500ma output engineered to specifically solve the major USB issues in the car environment.
                  Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                  I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                  Want to:
                  -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                  -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
                    What would you consider a reasonable price to be? Remember that this is not just a 12v USB hub but a regulated, multivoltage input with timer settings and full 500ma output engineered to specifically solve the major USB issues in the car environment.
                    $45 USD - $50 USD. Thats with a case and some profit. I mean, come on, its a USB hub and a power regulator. Hell, I know I'm going to end up making my own for $10, but for those without electronics experience, its still easy to see that $85 is a bit much. I'm not saying its a "rip-off" so to speak, but its either overpriced or over-engineered. K.I.S.S.
                    2001 Mustang Convertible Worklog
                    Indigo Custom Frontend (Flash/Delphi)
                    Blog

Qube v1.3 Now Available at the mp3Car Store!!!!!!
                    The simplest IO controller you'll ever use!

Comment

Exploitation is when you take advantage of a situation by getting something of greater value than you are paying for it. Since you don't plan on buying this unit, I don't see where the exploitation takes place.

The market for this product is small. The price will naturally be higher. If it is too much, don't buy it.

Hello Bugbyte - thank you for your feedback.

Bearing in mind I'm from an electronics background, I would be willing to pay something $50-60 USD for this unit. Yep, I considered the engineering efforts that have gone into this, still not worth the $85 asking price.

So yes, at that price-point I won't buy it. It may be a good option to drop the price a little and make it more affordable, and make something on volume sales - you know, the good old argument about volume vs profitability -> at the end of the day, one has to go for volume, as it increases your market share, and will ultimately lead to market domination in that sector, with the resultant increase in sales-volumes yet again.

Maybe as a side-note - not trying to step on Mp3Car Shop toes here - your transfer-price from Carnetix might be to high intitially, I don't know - one has to weigh the odds, and plan your (sales) strategy accordingly.

So yes, while there is a big demand for a solution like this, many guys, including myself would feel the asking price is a bit steep.

Do with this what you want, just my opinion.
                      F6 Tornado Project Log ; HP Blackbird Watercooled Server

Beta Tester for Centrafuse and 3dConnexion (No business affiliation with either)

Comment

can i connect the P5USB hub to a regular non-powered usb hub connected to my computer?
                        2007 Mini Cooper eee PC worklog

Comment

Originally posted by lacning74 View Post
                          can i connect the P5USB hub to a regular non-powered usb hub connected to my computer?
                          yes. to answer my silly question. it does work.

one thing i didn't think of, since i have my system no longer hibernating, but going to standby, i realized the P5USB hub never shuts off. all the usb root settings are checked for allowing the computer to turn off the device to save power.
                          2007 Mini Cooper eee PC worklog

Comment

Working...
                          X