Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question on slim line DVD sold in store: power cable?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on slim line DVD sold in store: power cable?

Hi,
    I purchased the slim DVD drive along with the case, and was surprised to find that the 'power cable' has one end that fits into the case, and the other is a standard USB connection.
    How should I / how are people using this cable? plugging it into another USB port? My experience with that is that it's rarely as good as having a solid 5v power source. Are people cutting off the USB end instead and wiring it to a power source?

Any guidance is appreciated.

TIA,
    Per

its really a matter of preference. I hacked the usb end off and wired it to my 5v POL PSU. But its fine to connect it to a second usb providing its either directly on the mobo OR on a powered usb hub.
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Thanks for the input. I'm inclined to hack it off myself, especially since it seems 2 USB ports would only get me 1A, whereas the drive is rated at 2A?

Comment

Originally posted by S4Per View Post
        Thanks for the input. I'm inclined to hack it off myself, especially since it seems 2 USB ports would only get me 1A, whereas the drive is rated at 2A?
        i believe so. But the only time i had problems with the drive when connected to 2 USB is when i was burning a CD. The drive will spin up and read just fine @ 1A
        mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
        Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
        Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

cool...good to know.
          how did you connect to your 5v POL? straight solder, or some type of connectors?

Comment

Working...
          X