Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Those sneaky MP3Car folks have a Nano-ITX sized amp in the store!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those sneaky MP3Car folks have a Nano-ITX sized amp in the store!

Check it out

Whats the deal with this thing? It has seemingly come outta nowhere but it looks ideal for anyone looking at installing a carPC. Better specs than OEM car audio stuff with a tiny footprint and made for carPC use? Specs say 2x125 or 4x35 so I'd say its an awesome starting point for new install audio.
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

And it's only $45. We need a review of this.

Comment

Holy cow... how did I miss this? I think I may have to pick one up for my other car.
      "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
      RevFE
      My Shop

Comment

My only complaint about how it's listed is the power being listed in peak. Means nothing. I'm curious as to what the RMS values are on it.
        Play with it, 'til it's broke.

Comment

It is based on the ubiquitous Tripath TA2020 chip.

The power figures as per datasheet is

25W @ 4Ω, 10% THD+N, VDD=14.6V
          22W @ 4Ω, 10% THD+N, VDD=13.5V
          13W @ 8Ω, 10% THD+N, VDD=13.5V

I could see only one TA2020 chip in the snapshot which could power up to 2 channels. Not sure how it can do 4 channels.

The assembled board looks exactly like those HelderHiFi kits

Comment

My concerns (especially with fitting it inside one of the bybyte cases) are heat and noise. A review would be most helpful. I need two of these.
            Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
            Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
            Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

Its a Bybyte.com product.

Comment

Originally posted by theonlykid View Post
                Its a Bybyte.com product.
                ...which is why i'm skeptical of the quality...

Comment

I love the Bybyte double DIN n frame, but there is no way you are going to convince me that a tiny amp at that price point will sound any good.

Comment

If its the same one they bundle in their case every review i've seen of it has been horrible!
                    openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
                    - Always Recruiting Developers -
                    Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

I've been wanting to try one of these or the amp9 kits. I have factory speakers so something like this may be ideal.
                      Click for my projects
                      2006 F150 with removable Nexus 7

2006 Mustang with indash CarPC (Retired)

Comment

I emailed ByByte a couple weeks ago asking some questions about this amp. I was impressed with their quick responses and attempts to answer my questions, and was ready to buy three of these to power my 5.1 channel system. Then I decided to do more research on the tripath chips and amps made from them. After my research, I got the feeling that bybyte was buying these from another source and didn't actually know that much about them. I don't mean that to be a ding against bybyte, since they really tried to be helpful.

This amp is based on a tripath chip, and if you read reviews of amps made with these chips, people are simply amazed at how great they sound. However this particular chip is only two channels, AND for that "audiophile" sound, you're only going to run it at about 12W per channel @ 4ohms. Thats probably enough power if you're replacing a stock head unit, but not really comparable to a typical class a/b amp. Also this amp cannot be bridged to make more power per channel, although outputs can be paralleled to be useful with 2 Ohm speakers.

I ended up buying two amp9 basic amps from 41hz.com. The amp9 is 4X100W peak @ 4ohms or 4X50W for low distortion. I felt these would be more suitable to my needs. These come in an unassembled kit. I haven't built them yet, but I know there are others on this forum using them. So cheap doesn't necessarily mean low output or poor quality.

John
                        The Squirtez is a 1966 Clark Cortez Motorhome with MegaSquirt EFI. What's a Clark Cortez? Visit www.CortezCoach.com

Comment

yup, same amp on the bybyte site--and i know i have read that the bybte amp is only 2 channel.. the vague description kind of scares me from either site..

the amp9 kit would be much better

digitalvampire-- that is exactly the kind of info that should be included.

i cannot take any amp seriously without actual rms power ratings..

even this $20 2 ch. amp from parts express has detailed power ratings, and thd specs in the manual:
                          http://www.parts-express.com/pe/psho...85&ctab=5#Tabs
                          My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                          "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
                          carpc undecided

Comment

More details from HelderHiFi who seems to be the original manufacturer of these boards

- Class-T architecture
                            - Single Supply Operation
                            Audiophile Quality Sound
                            - 0.03% THD+N @ 10W 4Ohm
                            - 0.1% THD+N @12W 4Ohm
                            - 0.18% IHF-IM @ 1W 4Ohm
                            High Power
                            - 13W @ 8 ohm, 10% THD+N
                            - 23W @ 4 ohm, 10% THD+N
                            - 38W EIAJ* VDD=14.4V @ 4Ohm
                            High Efficiency
                            - 88% @ 12W 8Ohm
                            - 81% @ 20W 4Ohm
                            - Dynamic Range = 103 dB
                            - Up to 2X25Wrms @ 4Ohm, VDD=14.6V
                            - Mute and Sleep inputs
                            - Turn-on & turn-off pop suppression
                            - Over-current protection
                            - Over-temperature protection

No offense to either Mp3Car or ByByte, but HelderHiFi has been selling this board for ages @ $27.99 (inclusive of international shipping). If I were in US, I'd still buy it from Mp3Car to support the forums.

Comment

hmmm... reconsidering...

Comment

Working...
                              X