Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G4 Reviewwwwwwww!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • G4 Reviewwwwwwww!!!!!!!!

    this is just first impressions (too busy for full review at the moment)
    PROS:
    1 overall so much better than I thought it would be!!!!!!!!!!! IF YOU HAVE MONEY BUY IT!!! IF YOU DONT BUY IT ANYWAY (work over time.... do whatever you have to do but its worth it)

    2. BRIGHT SCREEN GOOD CONTRAST ! (I was the one complaining about the absence of transflective screen on this product) I would still pay $400 more for transflective, but for the moment this is a good compromise!

    3. The new SD software is MUCH IMPROVED. (I love the new audio control features and the improved music navigation)

    4. very solid construction!

    5. tilting the screen helps with reflections and readability

    6. GPS hardware performs good (mappoint still sucks)






    CONS:
    1. VERY NOISY (i cant tell where the noise is comming from but its really bad), maybe its my instalation....I have it connected to the factory amp for now (I will report back on that later

    2. crashes when music is playing and I put in an audio CD (message saying something like....cannot make an input call because another one is in progress...)

    3 small screen! (half inch makes a diff)


    4. Lack of documentation!

    5. Im afraid that the buttons wont work in the future due to dust, dirt, cleaners etc I would rather see push buttons on the face

    6 HDD LIGHT DOESNT WORK!!!!!!!!!WTF????

    more later!
    Testing Street Deck and Centrafuse on G4

  • #2
    Documentation is coming.

    I've finished the document, now it's in the final phase of being released.

    When you complain about noise, it is noise through the speakers or is it mechanical noise?

    About the buttons, no matter if it's touch sensitive or buttons, if they are going to fail, they will fail.

    A word of advise, don't use ANY cleaners on the G4. Just a damp rag if you must...
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

    Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by RedGTiVR6 View Post
      When you complain about noise, it is noise through the speakers or is it mechanical noise?
      Sounds to me like it's through the speakers - he mentions he has it connected to the factory amp, I wouldn't know why he would mention that otherwise.

      Joachim
      List of front-ends/usefull apps
      XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by RedGTiVR6 View Post
        Documentation is coming.

        I've finished the document, now it's in the final phase of being released.

        When you complain about noise, it is noise through the speakers or is it mechanical noise?

        About the buttons, no matter if it's touch sensitive or buttons, if they are going to fail, they will fail.

        A word of advise, don't use ANY cleaners on the G4. Just a damp rag if you must...
        Hi RedGTiVR6

        The noise that im experiencing is electronic. It doesnt matter if the car is running or not. I wouldnt think its the G4 but the weird thing is that it changes depending on the program Im running. When I start SD the noise is different and worst. its hissing at 10 or 20 Hertz then stops for 1 sec or so and then starts again and lasts for a few seconds.
        its definitely coming from the G4 (I will try connecting it without the amp even though my factory amp is very quiet)
        If I cant solve it I will probably post a sound bite or a video.

        My other problem is that the HDD light doesnt work (making me think that its not connected inside) I would hate for somebody to have to open my new G4 to fix that
        Am I doing something wrong in my external connections that would cause the HDD LED not to work?

        By some miracle I cant duplicate the CD crash problem anymore! (even though it happened every time yesterday).....
        Testing Street Deck and Centrafuse on G4

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by JC-S60 View Post
          Sounds to me like it's through the speakers - he mentions he has it connected to the factory amp, I wouldn't know why he would mention that otherwise.

          Joachim
          good observation!
          sorry I was typing my reply to REDGTIvr6 when you posted and did not see your post yet
          Yes the noise is electronic but I dont want to rush and blame the G4, i went from the G4 straight to the factory amp so as not to loose "fader" and im compensating by lowering the volume on the G4 preamp stage
          It might be all sorts of things (including z (impedance matching) between the two stages etc...
          But the weird thing is that anything that is done on the screen produces a different sound, with SD being the worst (producing the worst interference).
          thanks
          Testing Street Deck and Centrafuse on G4

          Comment


          • #6
            how do you have the G4 connected to your factory amp?
            Jan Bennett
            FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

            Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by RedGTiVR6 View Post
              how do you have the G4 connected to your factory amp?
              through a wire harness as if it was a headunit with preamp out
              Testing Street Deck and Centrafuse on G4

              Comment


              • #8
                what kind of vehicle is this in?

                previously, I know that some nissans with the bose system, if you wire up both positive and negative of the speaker leads to go to the kind of adapter that you're using you will have a lot of noise. However, if you wire up just one side (say positive) you won't have the issue.

                Also, some vehicles also don't have a ground wire on the factory radio. The factory radio grounds thru the chassis of the radio. When you put in an aftermarket radio you have to ground it appropriately. If you have not done this already, I'd give it a try.

                Let me know the year, make, and model of your car and the brand of harness and I'll see if I can dig a little deeper.
                Jan Bennett
                FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

                Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by RedGTiVR6 View Post
                  what kind of vehicle is this in?

                  previously, I know that some nissans with the bose system, if you wire up both positive and negative of the speaker leads to go to the kind of adapter that you're using you will have a lot of noise. However, if you wire up just one side (say positive) you won't have the issue.

                  Also, some vehicles also don't have a ground wire on the factory radio. The factory radio grounds thru the chassis of the radio. When you put in an aftermarket radio you have to ground it appropriately. If you have not done this already, I'd give it a try.

                  Let me know the year, make, and model of your car and the brand of harness and I'll see if I can dig a little deeper.
                  2004 Nissan pathfinder LE (the old style not the ARMADA looking one)
                  BOSE system
                  dont know brand of harness
                  its grounded properly
                  didnt have this issue with my old carputer (wired the same way...both positive and negative speaker wires..)

                  thanks
                  Testing Street Deck and Centrafuse on G4

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    ok - try removing the negative lead on the speaker harness before it goes to the adapter and let me know the results.

                    Just because you didn't have the issue before doesn't mean you won't have an issue now.
                    Jan Bennett
                    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

                    Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by RedGTiVR6 View Post
                      ok - try removing the negative lead on the speaker harness before it goes to the adapter and let me know the results.

                      Just because you didn't have the issue before doesn't mean you won't have an issue now.
                      thanks will try after work today!
                      Testing Street Deck and Centrafuse on G4

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by spiro View Post
                        2004 Nissan pathfinder LE (the old style not the ARMADA looking one)
                        BOSE system
                        dont know brand of harness
                        its grounded properly
                        didnt have this issue with my old carputer (wired the same way...both positive and negative speaker wires..)

                        thanks
                        I had similar noise issues installing in my Infiniti G35 w/ BOSE. I needed to add a gain control adapter to get it to work right:
                        http://www.crutchfield.com/S-wpnZKHA...51&I=142C4NN03

                        Details of my install can be found here:
                        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/mp3c...initi-g35.html
                        StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
                        Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
                        The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by spiro View Post
                          6 HDD LIGHT DOESNT WORK!!!!!!!!!WTF????
                          Are you sure it doesn't work. Unlike the other leds, its not a very bright light. You won't see it at all unless you look directly at it.
                          StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
                          Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
                          The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Spiro,

                            Would it not be better to use an external soundcard if your hooking up to external amps?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by god_of_cpu View Post
                              Are you sure it doesn't work. Unlike the other leds, its not a very bright light. You won't see it at all unless you look directly at it.
                              Ill look closer and post back!
                              Testing Street Deck and Centrafuse on G4

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X